• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber and Lyft users are killing car ownership, not public transit

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/04/uber-lyft-ridesharing-apps-public-transportation/475908/

The APTA study confirmed with data what many users of shared mobility apps intuitively know: they don’t serve the same purpose as public transit. In particular, riders most frequently turn to ride-sourcing apps for social trips, rather than commuting. The peak demand in a week lands between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. on weekends, when transit has stopped running or operates infrequently enough to be inconvenient. The study also found that “supersharers,” who use some combination of ride-hailing, car-sharing, and bike-sharing for their trips, have half the car ownership rate of people whose only shared mobility is public transit.

When comparing people who use public transit with those who pair it with newer forms of shared mobility, the latter group drove less, was less likely to buy a new car, and was more likely to save money on transportation. The new mobility startups are linked to a lifestyle that’s less dependent on car ownership even compared to people who use public transit frequently. That means if public transit agencies want to help people get around without cars, they might want to encourage their riders to check out more of these auxiliary transit options.

There have been talks from some people about investing less in public transit because of the rise of e-hailing services like Uber and Lyft but a study by APTA (American Public Transportation Association) shows that it isn't the case. Some are even partnering with the new companies to offer a first mile-last mile solution to and from transit stations.

I'd love to see more of these types of partnerships in the future. For example, free or reduced fare transfers to the connecting buses and trains if you use Uber and Lyft via NFC taps would be amazing.

MilkBeard

The thing is, those people are most likely to not drive to begin with, especially if you are talking about the people who go out on weekends.

And, while Uber and Lyft is really popular in my city (Seattle) we still desperately need a better public transportation solution because are roads are getting really clogged. Rideshare works well in tandem with public transit. Public transportation is much cheaper, but is less convenient. There is a time and place for both.

Servbot24

Banned
10k-30k initial investment, ~100/mo insurance, however much gas is these days, potentially thousands in repairs. Just no reason to do it when I can easily go everywhere I need to go on my bike + about $50 in Uber/Lyft rides per month.

This is why the major auto makers are investing/partnering with various ride share companies.

This needs to happen.

Yeah, I can't go into details, but he is taking drastic steps to future-proof his company, anyone in the industry with half a brain is. Traditional car ownership is headed for a dive

jax

Banned
I know a lot of people who depend on Uber as their daily driver to get to work and around the city instead of buying a car. They often miss appointments and bum rides off car owning friends. I don't understand how anyone could replace owning a vehicle with something as unreliable and annoying as Uber.

It's great for when you're traveling, though.

kswiston

10k-30k initial investment, ~100/mo insurance, however much gas is these days, potentially thousands in repairs. Just no reason to do it when I can easily go everywhere I need to go on my bike + about $50 in Uber/Lyft rides per month.

While you are young, single/childless, and live in a city.

I didn't own a car myself until I was 27 for similar reasons. Now with kids (and a 15 min drive from pretty much anything), it's not even an option.

I think the only demo this will reduce car ownership in is the 18-25 demo.

smurfx

get some go again
hope electric cars keep coming down in price as well. i want to see giant fleets of electric cars out there driving the price of gasoline down. although self driving cars are going to put uber drivers out of business.

jmood88

I feel like a Luddite when it comes to Uber/Lyft and public transportation because I have no interest in using any of them. I have friends who love Uber but I'm perfectly fine with just driving everywhere and if I get drunk, I'll wait until I'm sober. I hate having to pay ridiculous amounts for cabs or having to wait for a bus/trolley.

Jonm1010

Banned
If I didn't live somewhere so spread out this would be how I would get around.

Geting rid of car payments, gas, maintenance, inspection costs etc. all sounds awesome.

I can pretty much buy a new car outright; however, these are the reasons why that would be a bad investment choice.

If I can't walk to much needed destinations, then it's a bad part of town. If I absolutely need to get to the other side of the city, then it's an Uber. I'm not rich enough to have a butler/chauffeur, but ridesharing is the next best thing.

I'm single and plan to stay that way; so Uber it is until self-driving automatons are on the road.

But car sales broke the all-time record last year at 17.39 million sold (over 2014's 16.35 million). Killing of car ownership sounds rather incorrect, no?

Yeah but the new driver demographic is troubling for auto-makers. Less and less young people are getting driver's licences. In LA, for instance,many of the new residences moving in are forgoing owning a car more and more. In LA of all places!

I know a lot of people who depend on Uber as their daily driver to get to work and around the city instead of buying a car. They often miss appointments and bum rides off car owning friends. I don't understand how anyone could replace owning a vehicle with something as unreliable and annoying as Uber.

How is Uber unreliable? Have you used them before?

FStop7

Banned
But car sales broke the all-time record last year at 17.39 million sold (over 2014's 16.35 million). Killing of car ownership sounds rather incorrect, no?

Probably in denser areas.

There are more and more people in LA giving up their cars because of ridesharing.

Who ever thought that could happen in this fucked up mess of a sprawl?

Jonm1010

Banned
hope electric cars keep coming down in price as well. i want to see giant fleets of electric cars out there driving the price of gasoline down. although self driving cars are going to put uber drivers out of business.

I have a feeling that in about 15-20 years this will be the split of society.

Some will have personal self driving cars that allow the convenience of never having to time out catching a ride and then there will be those using the fleet of self driving uber/lyft/public transportation systems.

MilkBeard

Pretty reliable, actually. I think people don't realize how long it takes to get somewhere, so they don't give themselves enough time in advance.

JohnsonUT

That could be because of a built up demand. We will have to see if it continues.

qqnhrPv.jpg

I have a feeling that in about 15-20 years this will be the split of society.

Some will have personal self driving cars that allow the convenience of never having to time out catching a ride and then there will be those using the fleet of self driving uber/lyft/public transportation systems.

I think there will also be services that allow you to rent out your own self driving car during hours when you don't need it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I didn't own a car myself until I was 27 for similar reasons. Now with kids (and a 15 min drive from pretty much anything), it's not even an option.

And those 18-25 year olds buy shitty used cars or entry level new cars. Not really big money customers.

This article overplays this threat. Sure it is something an auto manufacturer needs to keep their eye on, but this isn't an actionable threat IMO.

Gallbaro

Banned

Out you could choose to live in a city rather than b bring your adorable children to that wonderful elementary school and hard drug infested high school.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Inevitable evolution of a product that has a poor return on investment considering the potential alternatives; cars go mostly unused most of the time, so inevitably car ownership will be lessened as part of an optimization process which will reverse its utility rate to increase the return on investment. Things don't stay expensive if demand is high, but if prices don't come down then the utility rate per item will increase to balance the profitability ratio.

Same will happen with housing, education, and healthcare.

FyreWulff

Not surprising considering all the delivery and meta-delivery (where they go to non-delivery places and get stuff for you) services these days. A lot of people run the math and can squeeze out a smaller cost by getting things without the car and the gas.

PG2G

Can't even imagine not having a car in Los Angeles. I had to Uber to work once when my car was in the shop, can't imagine doing that regularly. Think it cost me nearly $20 and that was only going like 9 miles. Would add up very quickly.

kswiston

Out you could choose to live in a city rather than b bring your adorable children to that wonderful elementary school and hard drug infested high school.

I live in Ontario. With the exception of maybe Ottawa (have no experience in that city), public transit is shit outside of the core center of the GTA. Think the Midwestern or Southern US (medium) cities instead of the East and West coasts for a better comparison.

Also, It's all well and good to say "Just live in a city!" but what I pay for my half-acre three bedroom house wouldn't even get me a 1 bedroom condo in Toronto these days. Not to mention the nightmare that would be grocery shopping trips with a toddler via public transit or cab/uber.

Like I said, this is a more viable option for young people, and for people in larger cities who are committed to a single/child-free lifestyle.

ccbfan

Now sure how they're coming to the conclusion they they coming too.

They're saying people that use lyft and uber are less like to have cars than people that use Public transportation.

Well no shit sherlock. Most people use public transportation to get to work at a scheduled time daily without having to fight through traffic and finding parking, that's why peak hours have a shit ton more people than normal hours.

People use lyft and uber because they have no car or people that want to get drunk and have no DD.

Obviously anytime you have a new method of transportation you'll see a some decrease in all other types but using the term killing is an over exaggeration.

Gallbaro

Banned
I live in Ontario. With the exception of maybe Ottawa (have no experience in that city), public transit is shit outside of the core center of the GTA. Think the Midwestern or Southern US (medium) cities instead of the East and West coasts for a better comparison.

Also, It's all well and good to say "Just live in a city!" but what I pay for my half-acre three bedroom house wouldn't even get me a 1 bedroom condo in Toronto these days. Not to mention the nightmare that would be grocery shopping trips with a toddler via public transit or cab/uber.

Like I said, this is a more viable option for young people, and for people in larger cities who are committed to a single/child-free lifestyle.

I live in a city with a family and no car...

Grocery is easy, toddler was easy.

from my limited experience visiting/working in the city, ottawa's decent but still a bit worse than the TTC in terms of service.

could get better after the confederation line's complete (and especially after "phase 2").

kswiston

from my limited experience visiting/working in the city, ottawa's decent but still a bit worse than the TTC. could get better after the confederation line's complete

Everything west of Toronto on the 401 is fine if you are a student living near a university center, but pretty bad otherwise. Windsor is especially bad.

Quebec City on the other hand had decent public transit for a city that lacked a subway system. Lots of express routes, and good coverage throughout the city. I lived there for a year (without kids) and had no issues with my lack of car.

element

I live in Seattle and between Uber and Lyft and Car2Go (Smart Fortwo fleet) and the new ReachNow (BMW i3, Mini 2/4, BMW 328xi fleet), the increase in bus and lightrail, it really doesn't make sense to own a car if you are going to stay in the downtown area.

I still have my car (paid off), but really don't drive it that much. I can't imagine paying $400/month in payments another $150/month in insurance. I'm lucky to have a parking spot, but that is another cost. Then $150 to $200 in gas. So $750 a month to be able to drive?

NPR had a story about a researcher who said that if a metro area were to move to a shared car system, that people could save up to $10k a year as well as reduce traffic dramatically.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

$50 a month? Damn, where do you live?
I easily do that a week on the low end. Probably avg closer to $75 a week on uber.

And I commute by bus to work.

ElNino

I live in a city with a family and no car...

Grocery is easy, toddler was easy.
Without a car, how would I easily,

Go to Costco, supermarket, liquor/beer store, etc. every week.
Take the kids to hockey, football, lacrosse, baseball games/practices.
Get the kids to and from daycare in the morning and afternoon with ~30 minute window to do so and still get to work on time.
Go golfing, snowboarding or to my rec league sports.

All of these things are normal, weekly activities that would not be easy to coordinate without a vehicle. Hell, they were damn near impossible to do without having two vehicles.

Can't wait till I graduate and move to a country with a public transportation system that isn't absolute dog shit. I don't want to have to ever drive again.

I honestly can't even imagine my life without my own personal mode of transportation. The ability to respond to an emergency situation on the fly, store and transport anything I need, and just being able to pick up and go at a moment's notice is invaluable to me.

All that and having a family necessitates it of course lol.

My fiancee and I are moving to a one car family this year. We ran the numbers and based on my needs we could save a substantial amount of money by just having me use Uber when needed.

oneils

What city is this? Uber has never been unreliable for me. Kinda surprised to hear this.

Gallbaro

Banned
Without a car, how would I easily,

Go to Costco, supermarket, liquor/beer store, etc. every week.
Take the kids to hockey, football, lacrosse, baseball games/practices.
Get the kids to and from daycare in the morning and afternoon with ~30 minute window to do so and still get to work on time.
Go golfing, snowboarding or to my rec league sports.

All of these things are normal, weekly activities that would not be easy to coordinate without a vehicle. Hell, they were damn near impossible to do without having two vehicles.

Yo bruh, all we need is none.

from my limited experience visiting/working in the city, ottawa's decent but still a bit worse than the TTC in terms of service.

could get better after the confederation line's complete (and especially after "phase 2").
From my experience in both cities it's significantly better than TTC. A lot of that has to do with city layout and Ottawa just being smaller and less sprawly, and there are certainly parts of Ottawa that are very underserved by transit. But Toronto's trunk subway lines are stupidly unbelievably busy.. the Yonge line especially is just bananas. Toronto is like 20 years overdue for major new lines.

I'm also buying a damn house right next to where a "phase 3" Confederation Line station is. It's currently a bus station with 3 minute frequency at rush hour but should get converted to train around 10 years from now if the master plan is to be believed.

The simple fact of the matter is, car upkeep and prices are too high for a generation built mainly upon huge student loan debt, low wages, and underemployment. The growth that these car manufacturers projected ignored a very important rule in economics: Demand is want AND ability to purchase a product. High insurance costs, strained credit leads to high payments, high down payments, ans what utility you get out of a car can easily be made up for via other means.

The problem is that it costs too much for the kind of utility you get out of it at face value. And, unlike what the God-Emperor Reagan and Inquisitor Friedman want us to believe, you can't make products and services infinitely cheap.

Rabble rabble, Keynes(Hicks)was right again, rabble rabble rabble. They're lucky to get even the marginal growth they have out of a luxury industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom