• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber and Lyft users are killing car ownership, not public transit

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

Same here. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for an Uber.

Yeah, me neither. I'm in Ottawa and have used uber about 50 times since it came here in November 2014. Maybe it's still too new here for me to have had a bad experience. I'm 38 years old, and have lived in Ottawa all my life. I've never owned a car.

Transit is half decent, but uber really made things a lot easier. I wish I had this when in my 20s.

Weetrick

Really interesting stuff, but only for single childless people living in dense urban cities.

Otherwise, nobody is going to take an Uber with their families on the weekend to run errands, attend games, visit family, etc.

I take public transit to work every single day (amtrak), but I can't get rid of my car any time soon.

From my experience in both cities it's significantly better than TTC. A lot of that has to do with city layout and Ottawa just being smaller and less sprawly, and there are certainly parts of Ottawa that are very underserved by transit. But Toronto's trunk subway lines are stupidly unbelievably busy.. the Yonge line especially is just bananas. Toronto is like 20 years overdue for major new lines.

I'm also buying a damn house right next to where a "phase 3" Confederation Line station is. It's currently a bus station with 3 minute frequency at rush hour but should get converted to train around 10 years from now if the master plan is to be believed.

yeah, I'm mainly referring to buses (and to a lesser extent, the streetcar lines outside downtown) with regards to the TTC

because I need to catch the Yonge line every time I visit my best friend up there, and it's always an overcrowded mess because they still haven't gotten the goddamn relief line off the ground, but the buses (especially once you get up past St. Clair) are generally better imo

hope electric cars keep coming down in price as well. i want to see giant fleets of electric cars out there driving the price of gasoline down. although self driving cars are going to put uber drivers out of business.

No self driving car will actually make Uber explode in further popularity.

Really interesting stuff, but only for single childless people living in dense urban cities.

Otherwise, nobody is going to take an Uber with their families on the weekend to run errands, attend games, visit family, etc.

I take public transit to work every single day (amtrak), but I can't get rid of my car any time soon.

The concept is that a traditional 2 car family would pair down to one car, not eliminate them all together.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My dad is the CEO of a large auto corp and he is really worried about this, despite strong sales in recent years
I hope that worry hit him a decade ago. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. As a car enthusiast, I hate driving to commute and I avoid it if possible. It's a necessary evil I cut out of my life whenever possible.

Mortemis

Banned
I live in Seattle and between Uber and Lyft and Car2Go (Smart Fortwo fleet) and the new ReachNow (BMW i3, Mini 2/4, BMW 328xi fleet), the increase in bus and lightrail, it really doesn't make sense to own a car if you are going to stay in the downtown area.

Even if you don't live in the downtown area, it's pretty easy getting around the greater Seattle area and getting in and out of the city without a car. Heck, with our traffic it may be easier.

Link, sounder, buses and uber have me completely covered.

MGrant

In Taiwan I am completely fine without a car. Just about every store that sells things larger than a rice cooker will allow you to ship your purchase next-day, or even same-day, and that's if you absolutely have to go to a store in-person (I just order online otherwise). My roommate and I share a scooter for groceries, clothing, and other small purchases. If I have to go across the city I'll walk to the Metro, which costs about 50 cents US; if it's raining I'll take a cab for like 5 bucks. On the rare occasion we need a car (traveling across the country or moving something big) we can rent a car for about 30 bucks US a day. Owning a car makes no sense here, unless you have a kid I guess (and even then you could get by with a scooter on most days).

Weetrick

I've always been fascinated by how people without cars buy groceries. Do you go to the store every day? Do you have groceries delivered? My wife and I go to the grocery store every weekend and come home with a trunk full of stuff. No way we could fit in on a bike or a walk home.

Okay here's some rabid curiosity: Do you get your own choice of a new car every few years or just a massive discount?

Neither :( He sells luxury cars. Too rich for my blood.

I hope that worry hit him a decade ago. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. As a car enthusiast, I hate driving to commute and I avoid it if possible. It's a necessary evil I cut out of my life whenever possible.

Not sure it was a full decade but these plans have been in motion for years

MGrant

I've always been fascinated by how people without cars buy groceries. Do you go to the store every day? Do you have groceries delivered? My wife and I go to the grocery store every weekend and come home with a trunk full of stuff. No way we could fit in on a bike or a walk home.

I only buy food for myself and my roommate, twice a week, so it's not really the same as buying for a family, but I ride a cheap scooter to the market, buy about three days worth of food on Monday and Friday, and it easily fits in one or two bags which I can put at the front of the scooter or in the compartment. Staples like water, rice, and tea we just walk around the corner to get from the 7-11, so the only groceries I have to use transportation to buy are fresh meat and vegetables. No frozen food or food in large packages, which helps save space.

I take the bus.

Kozak

Banned

You'd be surprised at what you can do when you have no other choice.

Alcander

Even uber and lyft aren't long for the world with automation on the way.

Uber's long term strategy most certainly involves automated cars, and phasing out their human workforce. It will make the rate significantly cheaper for riders, as well.

Alcander

Take the bus, take an uber/lyft, rent a hourly car (zipcar, etc). When I lived in Boston I would zipcar once every 2 weeks or so for large grocery hauls.

I used to take the train. Just plop 6 to 8 bags next to me when I sat down. Save the big stuff like milk gallons for the corner store. The car is definitely easier, but that was my routine for about 6 years.

Daft Punk

Banned
Used to ride the bus, but now take Uber to work and class. I want to get a vehicle of my own, but Uber is just too dang convenient.

For those who take Uber/Lyft/etc. on a regular basis, does your place of work pay for it? It seems too expensive to be a replacement for daily commuting.

sappyday

As someone who uses lyft/uber/bus every day, I would rather drive around but I need to get over my crippling fear first. 10 bucks to go from my house to my job is too much especially since it's a 15 minute drive, but I keep doing it either cause I get lazy to take the bus or I haven't bothered to get over my fear.

Tesseract

Banned
I have a feeling that in about 15-20 years this will be the split of society.

Some will have personal self driving cars that allow the convenience of never having to time out catching a ride and then there will be those using the fleet of self driving uber/lyft/public transportation systems.

if we're that split in 20 years, we're dead

SMattera

For those who take Uber/Lyft/etc. on a regular basis, does your place of work pay for it? It seems too expensive to be a replacement for daily commuting.

Daily commuting can also be quite expensive when you think about it. Insurance, gas, car payments, depreciation, maintenance, parking etc. etc.

People have done the calculation, and depending on where you live and what sort of car you drive, the break-even point is somewhere around 8,000 miles. If you drive fewer than that per year, Uber can be cheaper than commuting.

Daily commuting can also be quite expensive when you think about it. Insurance, gas, car payments, depreciation, maintenance, parking etc. etc.

People have done the calculation, and depending on where you live and what sort of car you drive, the break-even point is somewhere around 8,000 miles. If you drive fewer than that per year, Uber can be cheaper than commuting.
Yeah, between school and work. I put on about 15,000 miles a year on my car. I don't think Uber would work for me. Maybe if I lived in the city.

Donos

10k-30k initial investment, ~100/mo insurance, however much gas is these days, potentially thousands in repairs. Just no reason to do it when I can easily go everywhere I need to go on my bike + about $50 in Uber/Lyft rides per month.
That's when you are single/without kid in a big city. Get a kid and have parents who live outside the city and an own car gets viable pretty fast.

I guess I was considering it from the perspective of someone who uses public transportation. But in that case, I understand.

milanbaros

Member?
Car sales may be at an all time high but it is quite easy to envisage the end of personal car ownership for the masses.

I believe we will see A time in London for example where the vehicles on the road are buses and driverless über pods.

Cars just spend far too much time parked and people are just not very good at driving.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think the driverless ride-sharing future is just around the corner.

It might make sense in major cities but it's not going to happen in a flash everywhere. Car ownership isn't going anywhere. Especially in the US.

Can't even imagine not having a car in Los Angeles. I had to Uber to work once when my car was in the shop, can't imagine doing that regularly. Think it cost me nearly $20 and that was only going like 9 miles. Would add up very quickly.

I live in LA without a car. Except for rare occasions where I have to go to Agoura Hills or something, it's pretty feasible to get where ever you need to be. Pasadena, Santa Monica, Hollywood, North Hollywood, Chatsworth, Long Beach, Compton, Downtown, Culver City, Mid-City, Koreatown, Studio City, Chinatown, East LA and more are all easily reached by metro lines. And there's a bus route for pretty much anywhere in the city that the metro doesn't go directly.

Did your girlfriends mind the first time you rolled up in an uber?

Honest question.

I've always met the person at whatever place we've decided to meet at. That said, no one has ever seemed to care when I mentioned that I don't own a car. "Well, he had a nice car..." is like a pity compliment someone might throw out when a person has almost no redeeming qualities. Similarly, "He doesn't even own a car!" is something that will only be said pejoratively if you're kind of an asshole and someone is trying to pile on your bad qualities. It's among the last things anyone considers regarding how they feel about you as a person. If you're a cool person and you live in a city where public transit/uber is common, no one cares.

Mind you, I'm speaking from a mid-20's perspective. If you're dating in your mid-30's it is probably different.

Liberty4all

Banned
I lived in downtown Toronto and used transit and zip car for the most part.

Now I live in red deer Alberta and I can't wait to get a car. I'm literally trapped right now.

Outside of major cities car ownership is a must.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
But car sales broke the all-time record last year at 17.39 million sold (over 2014's 16.35 million). Killing of car ownership sounds rather incorrect, no?

From what I've read there've been some pretty big government buys at the state and city level in the US for 2015 which also helped to boost sales quite a bit.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Automated cars will know to follow the fucking map as well

Like I drive for Lyft and this will totally be on the nav-side of things rather than the driver, or autonomous car. I've had so many rides that tell me that the pickup is at an alley way behind an apartment complex, or behind a huge plaza. As the driver, we don't get the same gps information of the passenger, as they do us. They can see our movements relatively close to real time.

Like, credit is still easy flowing. It isn't a doom scenario just yet. I feel like a lot of the media tends to hype these studies way too much.

It is very much possible to live in LA without a car, especially because of services like this. And I say this as an auto enthusiast.
I'll drive and ride motorcycles as long as legally possible.

Also, infrastructure. I love how Silicon Valley presents autonomous cars as like pristine Utopia. Like, so many roads need upgrading, like now.

Yeah, I'm trying to sell my car right now and the market has clearly changed from even five years ago when I bought my old one. In major cities, people are starting to recognize car ownership for the money sink that it is.

I hate driving. If I didnt have to get gear around often I would sell my car and use uber/public transit.

Hell if I make enough money I'll ditch my car all together. Why should I have to drive myself anywhere. Thats for pleabs.

Take my bicycle to the store twice a week for bigger things.
I could also take the bus if for some reason I couldn't ride my bike.

Most of my food I get from the baker, butcher and vegetable store within walking distance.

I've no need for a car, public transport in my country is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom