• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Activations disappear when changing graphics cards [Ubi Responds, Is Snarky]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's a lose-lose situation. We stop buying Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think we're all pirating the games and that the market isn't worthwhile. We buy more Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think their DRM is successfully driving people to buy rather than pirate.

sadly (and it's hilarious at the same time), yes

This sucks, I was planning on changing my graphics card 9 times while playing this title.

Seriously, what the hell are people doing playing this game through so many hardware changes? Good for them on being snarky. The complaint deserved it.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
This sucks, I was planning on changing my graphics card 9 times while playing this title.

Seriously, what the hell are people doing playing this game through so many hardware changes? Good for them on being snarky. The complaint deserved it.

How dare they change their hardware and want to play the same games, right?

3 times... and whilst that may be fine if you play the game for a couple of months and never again, what happens if you like to go back to your games in the future (I do).

subversus

how can a person be so ignorant and self-assured at the same time? Wait, we are on the internet....

It's three HARDWARE changes, you ..... It means if I installed a strategy title (which is no 6 hours game) at the beginning of the year then played it for 20 hours, then decided to play it in the autumn or winter I may faced problems if I installed more RAM to make Windows faster, added HDD to have more space or changed both because HDD got borked for example.

is it really hard to use the brain? Do you have it?

Only pirates change hardware three times? Who knew!

he was talking about videocard and YES THEY DO LOL

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
he was talking about videocard and YES THEY DO LOL

Surely you're aware that a video/graphics card is a hardware component.

I can only assume by your childish response that your post to which I replied was in intended to be sarcastic, but then I wonder why you bothered when his post was very clearly in jest.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not that I want limits at all, but if they have to do such shit, can't they at least, I dunno, tie it to your Windows key or something, instead of any often interchangable piece of hardware, if their reason really is that they don't want it on multiple PCs?

Edit: wait, people are defending this? What the hell...

Emitan

Not that I want limits at all, but if they have to do such shit, can't they at least, I dunno, tie it to your Windows key or something, instead of any often interchangable piece of hardware, if their reason really is that they don't want it on multiple PCs?

Then it wouldn't work on pirated copies of Windows which would be pretty funny.

"I bought the game but it still won't work!"

subversus

yes, also CPU. I see people paying 0$ for their games but sporting i6 CPUs overclocked and cooled with 200$ coolers (or with watercooling) + SLI setups and so on. Yet they won't buy PS3 because it's problematic to pirate there (they want these exclusives though).

People that support Ubisoft for PC gaming deserve this. They are shit and do not deserve money.

Why the 'for pc gaming' part?

I don't understand this logic.

I often see gaffers say 'fucking ubisoft, I'm going to buy this on PS3 then too bad'.
I used to think it was a troll but I see it so often...

Oh you are going to be difficult? Well I'm going to buy the SHIT out of your game anyway and pay MORE for it, HAH what do you say about that!
I might even talk about 'double dipping' if one version is missing something once it's on sale.
So again HAH I bought your game twice but only on a sale the second time, SUCKERS.

*end imaginary interal dialogue of generic gaffer #56456246*

It's a lose-lose situation. We stop buying Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think we're all pirating the games and that the market isn't worthwhile. We buy more Ubisoft PC games, and they'll think their DRM is successfully driving people to buy rather than pirate.
Or answer C: Spend that money on a dev+publisher combo who deserve the money, especially if they make more hardcore/niche games (putting aside that anno is niche-ish, well not really for pc standards)
Go buy a THQ game instead, I hear they make good games and are going out of business... Let ubisoft rot, if people stop buying their games then developers will stop choosing them as a publisher and fucking EVERYONE wins.

JaseC

yes, also CPU. I see people paying 0$ for their games but sporting i6 CPUs overclocked and cooled with 200$ coolers (or with watercooling) + SLI setups and so on. Yet they won't buy PS3 because it's problematic to pirate there (they want these exclusives though).

It sounds like you're arguing that the facetious comment is in fact accurate - that pirates are the only people capable of upgrading their PCs three times within the "lifetime" of a game (i.e. before its successor is released).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Then it wouldn't work on pirated copies of Windows which would be pretty funny.

"I bought the game but it still won't work!"
Surely pirated copies have keys too. Maybe MS can authenticate them but Ubi would have no reason to, just identify that it's the same one every time.

JaseC

Surely pirated copies have keys too. Maybe MS can authenticate them but Ubi would have no reason to, just identify that it's the same one every time.

Pirated copies use so-called "master keys" intended for OEMs, which are happily accepted by Microsoft's online authentication services (e.g. authentication checks in installers, Windows Update, etc.)

subversus

It sounds like you're arguing that the facetious comment is in fact accurate - that pirates are the only people capable of upgrading their PCs three times within the "lifetime" of a game (i.e. before its successor is released).

no, I'm not arguing about this at all. The original ironic comment was about pirates spending their money on hardware, not games. While it was ironic and funny in context of this thread it's also true.

alstein

looks like DRM is killing PC gaming... reading stuff like this just makes me want to avoid PC gaming in it's entirety.

There are MORE then enough companies who don't do this, especially on the non-AAA side of things. I can happily enjoy PC gaming without giving the AAA companies that screw consumers over my business.

Just do what I do and pretend Ubi/EA/Acti don't exist.

JaseC

no, I'm not arguing about this at all. The original ironic comment was about pirates spending their money on hardware, not games. While it was ironic and funny in context of this thread it's also true.

I see. I assumed your "but it's true lol" line was in reference to what the comment was suggesting given the context of the thread, rather than its face value.

Vagabundo

I can only assume by your childish response that your post to which I replied was in intended to be sarcastic, but then I wonder why you bothered when his post was very clearly in jest.

You can never have too many - confusingly - sarcastic comments when dealing with Ubisoft threads.

I have some games that I have probably played on 6-7 different computers, specifically KKND and Europa Universalis 2. And this is without ever changing anything inside the computer. I can't imagine if I actually cared enough about computers to upgrade cards. This is terrible, It is hard enough to get old games to work on PC, that's one of the reasons why I play my old SMS and NES games more than old pc games.

scitek

So wait, if you change hardware three times, that's it? You have to buy the game again? Or is it just a three-activations-until-you-revoke-one type of deal?

subversus

So wait, if you change hardware three times, that's it? You have to buy the game again? Or is it just a three-activations-until-you-revoke-one type of deal?

That is what I want to know as well because I have no problems with uninstalling the game and revoking activations even though it's not convenient.

inky

Apparently is change cards three times and you're boned. LOL, I've had 4 cards in my PC this year alone: an 8800, 2 460s I RMA'd, and the 560 I have now. The best part is that it is not even for reinstalling windows or changing MoBos like Crysis, which was already fucked up.

I'm sure that if you beg them enough through e-mail and phone they can give you some back, but the fucking point is you shouldn't even have to in the first place.

Eusis

And if you simply felt like upgrading, maybe to make the game run better (assuming that it's not VERY undemanding)? That's two activations gone right there. Hell, if this were on something like the Witcher 2 I'd already be on my last one, had a hand down video card before deciding that wasn't sufficient anyway and getting a nicer one for my birthday. Unable to revoke activations is bad enough, but binding to all hardware including the video card is, at best, poorly chosen DRM that was meant for business being misapplied on video games, at worst shows Ubisoft not giving a shit about consumer friendliness because piracy must be stopped at any cost.

I think it's most likely the former though. People complain about uPlay and not wanting it, and not to mention their own server issues, so they go shopping around for a secure one that people haven't commonly railed against (should've just gone back to Securom) and pick this. The least they could've done though was monthly or yearly resets and to track based on just the motherboard since in my experience replacing the motherboard generally entails enough other changes that it's effectively a new computer, not to mention reinstalling the OS anyway.

According to the Steam page, it uses Tages SolidShield. If it works the same as Dead Space 2 (which also has SolidShield), you can revoke an authorization by running activation.exe. Obviously that doesn't work if your hard drive crashes or you need to replace something unexpectedly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just Googled "Anno 2070 crack", and yes, there are plenty of ways to bypass that.

I highly recommend anyone inconvenienced by this to simply crack the game, and preferably to contact Ubisoft to tell them that they've cracked the game.

Not promoting piracy, but why buy it in the first place if you have to crack it anyways? It confounding to me on both the publishers and consumer side.

If you are giving them such a restrictive set up. Online activation, forcing multiple log ins, limiting use, etc. While Pirates will be able to just play the title without all that crap. You are basically sending users to those same sites that give links to the full game downloads. Pirates are getting the version customers want.

And on the consumer side. I see it sometimes when someone mentions they'll just crack it, but like if you do. You have the same exact version than pirates have. Why buy it in the first place? You're not getting any of the support or patches released. The customer is taking extra steps just to play the game then.

I just don't get it.

Kabouter

According to the Steam page, it uses Tages SolidShield. If it works the same as Dead Space 2 (which also has SolidShield), you can revoke an authorization by running activation.exe. Obviously that doesn't work if your hard drive crashes or you need to replace something unexpectedly.

Not seeing activation.exe anywhere in my Anno 2070 game folder?

That is what I want to know as well because I have no problems with uninstalling the game and revoking activations even though it's not convenient.

I don't have a problem with being able to revoke either...but the problem here is that either there isn't a revoke tool or there is but they just don't want you to know about it.

This sounds like a theoretical situation that any of you are unlikely to run into = successfully fulfils criteria for GAF contrived outrage.

odhiex

so basically, UBISOFT wants us (PC Gamers) to play their games on a laptop/notebook, not on the PC?? Uh... Okay

Damn you UBI.

Jackano

What I don't understand, isn't Windows activation itself limited to a few hardware changes or is everyone running on a non-legit OS?

When contacting Ubisoft marketing here in the Netherlands, their reply goes like this: 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'.

I would of loved to hear their responce if he angrily replyed to that saying "So what then? Should I just pirate the game so I can install and reinstall it as many times as a I want?"

Aselith

Oh well, I'd rather lose their library on PC rather than ignoring the titles because of this shit and have them influence other pubs that this may be the right way. I foolishly bought Anno 2070 because it seemed like they were willing to compromise. Fuck them now. They can go fucking rot and hopefully they'll shut down Blue Byte and that team will move on to a better life. I don't like rooting for studios to close but that's what we've come to. I'd rather have Ubi leave the market than continue to be a rotten apple.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This would be like if you had 2 consoles or brought the game over to your friends house and it wouldn't launch because it's a different console.

What dumbfucks. They have no idea what their customers are.

It's more like this---You buy a game, play it on for console and when you moved house or bring the console to a friend's it won't launch.

Emitan

What I don't understand, isn't Windows activation itself limited to a few hardware changes or is everyone running on a non-legit OS?

You just call Microsoft, type in your cd key, and they send you another key you type in. I've done this several times due to OS reinstalls.

Emitan

This sounds like a theoretical situation that any of you are unlikely to run into = successfully fulfils criteria for GAF contrived outrage.

So what happens if I get the urge to randomly play this a year from now? One activation gone. And a few months later? Bam! Last activation used up. I don't like owning a game that has an expiration date.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Wow I didn't even knew there were people this stupid on this board. You know, sometimes people play their games longer than 2 months. Imagine this, someone will still play this in 2 years. :O Hard to understand I know, but now imagine this: Within these 2 years someone might change his graphics cards 3 times. Uncommon, but completely possible.

Damn son, are you really this dense?

Diablos

It is both laughable and sad that they look at your current GPU and a game that runs on it as something that should be tied together. That frankly makes no sense whatsoever. The game literally should not even care about what GPU you are using beyond compatibility reasons.

I wonder if part of this scheme is designed to not only curb piracy (which is questionable at best because basically anything can be pirated in some way), but force gamers on a tight budget to think twice about upgrading and instead buy more games? From an industry standpoint, it's a way to bring in a lot of revenue, but it's completely unethical.

If I have one of their products installed on no more than one machine at a time, what's the fucking problem? Anyone working for Ubisoft ought to be downright ashamed of themselves right now. You work for fucktards. Maybe you might be one? I dunno.

-1 Ubisoft. Just when I thought all of their Assassin's Creed whoring was as bad as it could get, they do this.

I was honestly thinking about getting Rayman Origins for PS3 this week, but I'll throw that on the backburner indefinitely. I have a hard time supporting companies that lack the intellectual capacity to not only come up with a balanced solution for implementing antipiracy into their products, but also ones who can't properly communicate with their userbase. They insulted everyone with logic that doesn't even make sense outside of their own ass-backwards view of how computing works. DERP. I want a company to communicate, not be a troll. Then again, maybe they're just fucking stupid.

Top Bottom