• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

haveheart

Banned
Missed the conference but had a quick look at the video and it looks like each player controls their own ship and work together to form a fleet, unlike Sea of Thieves which has you controlling individual pirates that work together to form a crew?

Am I missing something because pirate theme aside, the two games seem to be pretty different?

I think you're absolutely right.

This is Rebel Galaxy and SoT is Star Citizen... something like that.

Gator86

First page is on point as usual.

Just like the industry has no room for more than one shooter, it also has no room for more than one Pirate game. Especially when the games are exactly the same.

RIP Rare.

You had a good run.

It's definitely a fair comparison to contrast probably the most popular genre in gaming to multiplayer-only, pirate-themed, games as service titles.

This looks like Rebel Galaxy. This doesn't seem to have much in common with Rare's game except for the scenario.

Is this whole game really just an expanded version of Black Flag's naval segments? Sure seems like it...
In the trailer there was a guy saying 'this is not black flag 2.0' and my reaction was Idontbelieveyou.gif

It might be enough to make me bite anyways. I really want to play a pirates game.

Haruko

Missed the conference but had a quick look at the video and it looks like each player controls their own ship and work together to form a fleet, unlike Sea of Thieves which has you controlling individual pirates that work together to form a crew?

Am I missing something because pirate theme aside, the two games seem to be pretty different?

Bingo.

It also seems that S&B is entirely about ship on ship combat, while SoT has land combat/treasure seeking/etc. as well.

I think both games look like fun, but they are certainly very different from each other outside of sharing the pirate genre.

void666

Banned
Can you go on foot? Swim and explore like in AC4?

Is it MP only?

Hype kinda deflated now. After for Honor i don't trust ubisoft when it comes to mp only games.

This is the biggest let down of E3 for me so far. When they revealed it at first I thought, oh man, what everyone has been asking for...A pirate game separate from the AC series!

Then, multiplayer only and naval combat only.

Everything Ubi showed off that interested me that I wasn't expecting looked cool until the words shared universe, online playground, or thriving and evolving online system or some bullshit came out.

Makes me sad that the single player experience is really going to be a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years.

valeo

Bingo.

It also seems that S&B is entirely about ship on ship combat, while SoT has land combat/treasure seeking/etc. as well.

I think both games look like fun, but they are certainly very different from each other outside of sharing the pirate genre.

You say this like the general gaming public understands the intricacies of each game.

Most just want a pirate game fix and will only choose one.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
This game is going to embarrass Sea of Theives.

Rare's lost their touch. Sick of their cartoony gameplay-lite bullshit.

But then again, Ubisoft has issues too with gameplay, but atleast you are assured a AAA experience.

Tawpgun

I'll try the Beta (if I get in)

But I'm MUCH more excited about SoT than this. I like the concept of controlling a PIRATE rather than being the ship.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Man, this thread is a GAFMMO arena for the fans and haters of SoT. It would be funny if it wouldn't be sad.

That said, this game looks really great and as somebody who enjoyed a lot the naval battles and the ships in Black Flag I'm looking forward to it.

DOWN

Banned
Why do Ubi games have a sort of flat concept art loot to them? The way they are rendered? They look less metallic and or liquid and more matte if you know what I mean

MauroNL

But then again, Ubisoft has issues too with gameplay, but atleast you are assured a AAA experience.
Totally the same type of game too. C'mon man, thats some bullshit you're posting there.

Flintty

Lol Say what? They're different games dude. They have pirates and ships in common, that is it.

Zubz

Banned
I didn't even really see demand for one of these; why do we have 2?

At least I expect competency from Sea of Thieves, though. I dread how Ubisoft's going to try to milk this.

Brizzo24

Going on my list. Loved Black Flag, didn't care for the Assassin's Creed aspects all that much. I've been wanting a Pirate game ever since.

The bolded is one of the best things I've ever read on here, amazing!

Oh man Rare... oh man. This looks amazing! But Ubi... so completely no expectations until the beta.

With this and Sea of Thieves... 2018 will be year of the pirate for me for sure lol!

Agreed with the Black Flag comments. LOVED Black Flag but havent been into another AC. That game was too much fun. Ubi already has a solid backbone from that game so i expect they're off to a good start.

They had a chance to take what they started with Black Flag and improve on it but it looks like they played it safe because it looks exactly like Black Flag. Disappointingly so.

I'll stick with Sea of Thieves myself but I can't help but laugh that people think only one of them can be successful. Two different types of pirate games for people to choose. Both can do well, it's not like it has to be one or the other.

Rare is fucked. Each Sea of Thieves thread gets smaller and smaller. I genuinely feel bad for them. I really hope Microsoft wouldn't shut down a developer that's been in the industry longer than they have.

13ruce

Banned
Can you go on foot? Swim and explore like in AC4?

Is it MP only?

Hype kinda deflated now. After for Honor i don't trust ubisoft when it comes to mp only games.

It's full naval i think when they entered a ship a cutscene played:(

Atleast get real on board fighting.

Warablo

This is going to get quite boring after a while. Hopefully they tons of legendary/regular sea monsters to fight to spice it up once in awhile.

D i Z

Why is everyone assuming what was shown is the sum total of the game? Has Ubi ever been thin on content the way some folks are expecting?

The scope of this game seems limited just from what we saw in that trailer. You're controlling a ship as opposed to individual crew members in co-op gameplay, boarding is what looks like an animated dice roll, it's like they stripped the ship combat out of AC4 and left it at that. If there's nothing more to this game than this no way I'm picking it up before a heavy price drop.

If anything I hope there's extensive ship customization.

Permanently A

Just like the industry has no room for more than one shooter, it also has no room for more than one Pirate game. Especially when the games are exactly the same.

RIP Rare.

You had a good run.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. How on earth is this exactly the same as Sea of Thieves?

Looks like Black Flag 2.0 which is cool I guess.

Been waiting a long time for a pirate game and honestly AC4 covered that itch years ago. I'll take a pass. Poor Sea of Thieves though.

Best wishes.

Wait why are people comparing this to SoT? Looks completely different excepting that they both have pirates?

Yeah. I think I just got the difference simplified too rewatching it. It's largely unappealing to me to be honest since it seems to me that in SoT you are a pirate. In S&B you are a pirate ship.

Wait why are people comparing this to SoT? Looks completely different excepting that they both have pirates?

It's "similar" in so far that it's a multiplayer pirate game. That's about it. I think people are saying this might pull some of the potential crowd from Sea of Thieves. I for one will likely be playing both as they offer completely different things.

That said... i want to see some of the open-world exploration and general gameplay from S&B before i go head over heals with it. Same as Black Flag... that's a-OK with me!

So to sum up:

This has killed Sea of Thieves

Days Gone has been rendered worthless by Last of Us 2

Anthem has eaten Destiny 2's lunch

What else am I missing?

Aeqvitas

How the fuck are people still making the SoT comparisons?!

A lot of people are out for blood and looking for any which way to slam MS, even if it doesn't make sense.

Pirate games in general are a thin genre, and the fact that we are now getting two high production value games with completely different mechanics and goals should be a reason for celebration.

I'm guessing a lot of people pushing the Sea of Thieves hate in this thread will be acclaiming the greatness of every announcement in the conference that starts in about 2 hours...

zeexlash

The developer was just on the Youtube stream describing it as a 'shared world'. Shared world pirate game, sounds familiar..

lumzi23

RIP Rare.

You had a good run.

Isn't this more like the piracy in Assassin's Creed (Only one player controlling each ship).

Rare's game is more like Guns of Icarus (where every crewmember is a real world player).

That is not really the same.

Ubisoft's game looks quite exciting and graphically mind blowing but Rare's games looks quite good too.

Average joe: "did you see that cool multiplayer pirate game at E3? Not the kids one haha"

Average joe 2: "yeah it's made by the makers of assassins creed! Sick!"

dont have an Xbox, not played AC since AC1, not going to buy this but I know a lot of average joes.

Top Bottom