• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft convinced second-screen gaming is the future

Eusis

Dear Ubisoft, this makes the most sense on the Wii U, the system that actually had the foresight to merge tablet and controller together.
Well, Sony seemed to sorta know beforehand with remote play and intend to make it run better on PS4 (second wi-fi chip JUST for Vita usage?), but time will tell whether that's equal/very close to Wii U, or is like PSP and kind of a joke for any game that requires low latency.

pa22word

Second screen gaming is the future!

Will consider Wii U if it makes sense.

The two are pretty far from being mutually exclusive at this point....

Dear Ubisoft, this makes the most sense on the Wii U, the system that actually had the foresight to merge tablet and controller together.

Ubisoft: Dear armchair publisher: the Wii U doesn't have the install base nor the specs (everything we've seen on the three seem to indicate downporting is going to be impossible, thus new WiiU specific versions cut down to fit the memory bottlenecks would be required...and those cost lots of money) to warrant such attention. Sorry.

Pyrokai

This is like an SNL skit if they ever did one on video game industry executives.

Good lord. I can't even comprehend. I really can't.

Adam Blue

I agree with this. So many people have/will have phones/tablets capable of running apps connected to these devices - at the same time, console makers will want to sell secondary devices, and we know what those are. The PS3 has already done some awesome stuff with 2nd screen (Gucamelee).

Unproven gimmick.

Well, games on smartphones and tablets are proven. And games on consoles are proven. Multiplayer is proven to be fun. Asymmetric multiplayer is proven to be fun.

So allowing smartphones/tablets to interact with consoles in an asymmetric multiplayer environment is more than an "unproven gimmick." It's pretty smart.

Fredrik

Well, Sony seemed to sorta know beforehand with remote play and intend to make it run better on PS4 (second wi-fi chip JUST for Vita usage?), but time will tell whether that's equal/very close to Wii U, or is like PSP and kind of a joke for any game that requires low latency.
It's still like claiming that it doesn't make sense to add motion features to a Wii version but makes sense to add it to a PS3 version. :p
The tech is already there on WiiU, everyone owns that second screen, and the console is built for it from the ground up and works flawlessly. How well will it work on PS4/XB1 and how many will actually own the devices that adds a second screen? No idea. But apparently it still make more sense lol

Well, games on smartphones and tablets are proven. And games on consoles are proven. Multiplayer is proven to be fun. Asymmetric multiplayer is proven to be fun.

So allowing smartphones/tablets to interact with consoles in an asymmetric multiplayer environment is more than an "unproven gimmick." It's pretty smart.

As much as I want to agree with you, this trend will die a slow and painful death. The only reason it will stay alive is Wii U regaining dev support.

Sojgat

I can't argue wtih your logic.

As much as I want to agree with you, this trend will die a slow and painful death. The only reason it will stay alive is Wii U regaining dev support.

Well, I think the safe bet on any new trend is for it to die a slow and painful death. I just think that the reasoning is there to at least give this a try.

pa22word

This is like an SNL skit if they ever did one on video game industry executives.

Good lord. I can't even comprehend. I really can't.

Really? It'd be like predicting back in the mid nineties that 3D might be the future, but the Virtual Boy isn't the platform to establish that future. While I know that isn't entirely equivalent, the point still stands: The Wii U has had nearly a year on the market to establish a sizable and marketable userbase before X1 and PS4 released. It has absolutely not capitalized on this, and given the spec. discrepancy between it and the other two systems it doesn't have anywhere near the pull to warrant such attention. For the time being as long as games are developed cross gen the system should still get games, but once games start being developed exclusively for X1 and PS4 the Wii U is effectively done in terms of third party support, barring the odd exclusive everyonce in a while. It's the Wii situation all over again, except it won't have anywhere near the marketshare the WIi did.

GamerJM

Banned
The two are pretty far from being mutually exclusive at this point....

Ubisoft: Dear armchair publisher: the Wii U doesn't have the install base nor the specs (everything we've seen on the three seem to indicate downporting is going to be impossible, thus new WiiU specific versions cut down to fit the memory bottlenecks would be required...and those cost lots of money) to warrant such attention. Sorry.

I don't disagree with any of this, but as I said I think it's just sad. I'd much rather see the Wii U Gamepad being used than tablets. It's an absolute shame the Wii U doesn't have the specs or install base it could, because a console as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4 with the Wii U's tablet controller would bring fourth so much innovation. It could have ended up being the definite system for multiplats if devs use it for even just maps or off-TV play.

Eusis

This is amazing. You can forget about any Wii U-exclusive tablet stuff in Watch_Dogs.
Probably more they'll just copy their app directly for Wii U. Or so I hope if they have sense. It's doing this with Vita I'm more concerned about.

Hyun Sai

This will not end well...

They also believed in the WiiU :p

Weird, the comment that says they'll think about second screen gaming with the WiiU. Is Third Screen gaming too much for mortals?

Well, I think the safe bet on any new trend is for it to die a slow and painful death. I just think that the reasoning is there to at least give this a try.

You're right. The biggest problem is that this decade has seen and will see a lot of new hardwares that everyone want support for; some of these gimmicks will have to die with no glory.

PS3 Slim(mer)
Xbox Mini/Slim
Wii U
Playstation Vita
Playstation 4
Xbox One
Kinect 2
Playstation Eye (2? With Move?)
Ouya
Gamestick
Oculus Rift
Virtuix Omni
Nvidia Shield
Firefox OS
iOS 7
New Android OS
Windows 8.1 and/or Smartglass
PC upgrades
Steam changes and more community-based supports
Publishers coming out with their own services

and much much more. Which one will die first? Which new hardware/app/software will emerge that may become a norm? Only time will tell...

pa22word

Weird, the comment that says they'll think about second screen gaming with the WiiU. Is

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying. He's not saying they'll do second screen stuff on Wii U games from Ubisoft if it makes sense, he's saying Ubisoft will be doing second screen stuff from now on, and Wii U games if it makes sense.

Makes sense = Cross gen titles

Doesn't make sense = X1/PS4 titles

You're right. The biggest problem is that this decade has seen and will see a lot of new hardwares that everyone want support for; some of these gimmicks will have to die with no glory.

PS3 Slim(mer)
Xbox Mini/Slim
Wii U
Playstation Vita
Playstation 4
Xbox One
Kinect 2
Playstation Eye (2? With Move?)
Ouya
Gamestick
Oculus Rift
Virtuix Omni
Nvidia Shield
Firefox OS
iOS 7
New Android OS
PC upgrades
Steam changes and more community-based supports
Publishers coming out with their own services

and much much more. Which one will die first? Only time will tell...

For sure. Introducing anything new into the market is a risk. I just think saying that multiplayer using a phone is an "unproven gimmick" is ridiculous. Whether or not the obstinate hardcore gamer crowd that thought you had to stand up and run in place to use a Wii remote will accept it... well, that's another story.

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying. He's not saying they'll do second screen stuff on Wii U games from Ubisoft if it makes sense, he's saying Ubisoft will be doing second screen stuff from now on, and Wii U games if it makes sense.

Makes sense = Cross gen and Wii U exclusive titles

Doesn't make sense = X1/PS4 titles

Oh okay.

You are the screen is the future.
Oculus-Rift-ps4.jpg

onipex

Well I'm sure any Wii U games will have a second screen interface of some sort at least. They have to put something on the gamepad.

That said, the things they're talking about are more like things two separate people would be doing (one on console and one on mobile), not the same person on both at the same time.

That's my point. This is mobile app interface for multiplayer, which they talked about at E3. Its more like smartglass than what multiplayer would/could be like with the Wii U or maybe even PS4/Vita.

Skunkers

Unproven gimmick.

On one hand, it is a gimmick, and a lot of implementations of this will be garbage. On the other hand, there are some applications where this not only makes sense, but is actually rather brilliant. Using a tablet for BF4 Commander mode sounds pretty awesome; the top down strategic viewpoint is probably even better suited to the touch interface than it is to a controller. You can certainly touch points on a map much faster and more intuitively than using a stick to move a reticule around and hit a button. Don't have enough experience with previous Commander modes to know whether the resulting higher APM will make any decisive difference in a match (I actually suspect not, but I dunno). It's definitely interesting, especially since you can presumably play with your friends even when away from your console though.

pa22word

If it's the future why have they been dumping on the console built around the damn feature?

Because the system both doesn't have the userbase to support the high level development costs Ubisoft is committed to, nor the specs to catch downports from the systems' that Ubisoft and the rest of the AAA industry is betting the future on. What's worse is that unlike the Wii the Wii U won't have the large userbase to carry it for the rest of the gen.

Nintendo has effectively made another N64 with this console.

On one hand, it is a gimmick, and a lot of implementations of this will be garbage. On the other hand, there are some applications where this not only makes sense, but is actually rather brilliant. Using a tablet for BF4 Commander mode sounds pretty awesome; the top down strategic viewpoint is probably even better suited to the touch interface than it is to a controller. You can certainly touch points on a map much faster and more intuitively than using a stick to move a reticule around and hit a button. Don't have enough experience with previous Commander modes to know whether the resulting higher APM will make any decisive difference in a match (I actually suspect not, but I dunno). It's definitely interesting, especially since you can presumably play with your friends even when away from your console though.

Agreed. I think the applications for actual gameplay can be fascinating. Especially playing a secondary role on your phone in an online multiplayer match while you're away from your console.

I'm not sure why some people are confused with regard to Wii U or think what Guillemot is saying is contradictory.

He even gives examples of wanting to play on his iPad with friends at an airport, and rightly states that for many of these people the "second-screen" they're referring to - the tablets and smartphones - are really the first screen.

Guillemot isn't talking about a vision of all systems with a touchscreen slapped onto the controller. He's talking about a vision where they can capture new markets by tapping into mobile gaming and by allowing interaction between the billions of smart devices and consoles in a meaningful fashion. He's also talking about the potential to carry forward a persistent experience from a home console game onto a smart device for a single user.

What he's not talking about is a tethered pseudo-tablet.

I'm can only assume that these same people confused by this think Nintendo are the ones that that are driving the trend towards companion apps and mobile gaming, rather than the actual industry drivers Google and Apple.

Bombadil

Banned
I'm not sure why some people are confused with regard to Wii U or think what Guillemot is saying is contradictory.

He even gives examples of wanting to play on his iPad with friends at an airport, and rightly states that for many of these people the "second-screen" they're referring to - the tablets and smartphones - are really the first screen.

Guillemot isn't talking about a vision of all systems with a touchscreen slapped onto the controller. He's talking about a vision where they can capture new markets by tapping into mobile gaming and by allowing interaction between the billions of smart devices and consoles in a meaningful fashion. He's also talking about the potential to carry forward a persistent experience from a home console game onto a smart device for a single user.

What he's not talking about is a tethered pseudo-tablet.

I'm can only assume that these same people confused by this think Nintendo are the ones that that are driving the trend towards companion apps and mobile gaming, rather than the actual industry drivers Google and Apple.

What he's talking about is easily accomplished on a Wii U because every Wii U comes with the gamepad.

Zero PS4s will come with a tablet.

I understand that you mean a portable device rather than one that has to be within range, but if he's basically saying that they want to explore that option, then why not work with the Wii U and the 3DS?

How can it make more sense to do this with the PS4 and X1 but not with the Wii U?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What he's talking about is easily accomplished on a Wii U because every Wii U comes with the gamepad.

Zero PS4s will come with a tablet.

I understand that you mean a portable device rather than one that has to be within range, but if he's basically saying that they want to explore that option, then why not work with the Wii U and the 3DS?

How can it make more sense to do this with the PS4 and X1 but not with the Wii U?

This is for two separate people to interact with the same game.

You would have to have one person using the buttons while another leans over their shoulder and uses the touchscreen.

Skyzard

Banned
Won't tablets streaming video that high quality and resolution be rinsed of battery pretty quickly?

I can't wait for Ubisoft to implode on itself.

Seems like an over reaction really, they are supporting Wii U more then other devs and people have a tendancy to look too much into small things people say off the cuff "if it makes sense." Could just as well be when the situation arises. They see how much Nintendo will spend on advertising and getting some sales for the system, or when the next project comes up. It's not like Nintendo has been flooding the Wii U with titles themselves lately or made it generally attractive for devs.

It's not really unreasonable for them to be concentrating on the next major system launches which aren't a long ways away.

You would have to have one person using the buttons while another leans over their shoulder and uses the touchscreen.

Or one person uses the GamePad as a tablet and the other uses a Wiimote/nunchuk or Pro Controller.

I see it breaks down like this:

PS4 player at home; Tablet player in same home [Y]
PS4 player at home; Tablet player connected anywhere [Y]

Wii U player at home; GamePad player in same home [Y]
Wii U player at home; GamePad player in different home with a second Wii U online [Y]
Wii U player at home; GamePad player wandering streets [N]

and that's assuming there will never be an iOS/Android app that works with Wii U.

Sojgat

It is interesting, but I hardly think it's the future (for these next gen consoles anyway). BF4 is one of the few examples where I can actually see it being used. You have a pre existing mode, and an interface that actually makes more sense, and is easier to use with that mode, available as an option in a game with a massive fan/userbase. Having all those factors working in it's favour is a pretty a rare situation though.

Most popular console games require controls that aren't compatible with a touchscreen interface, so most of the things devs have come up with so far are add-on gimmicks out of necessity, otherwise they compromise the core product being sold. Maybe if publishers start putting some more traditionally PC based games, like complex strategy games, on consoles it could be useful, but that would require a tablet to be available as the primary control interface. I think that seems like too much of a sales risk, but maybe if it makes porting games easier it won't be.

AOC83

Banned
Nobody cares about second screen gaming. Seriously, that´s one of the dumbest ideas gaming companies had so far. And they keep going and going although a complete lack of interest has be shown by consumers over and over agan.

69wpm

Um, how about the first player uses the Pro Controller and the second player the Gamepad? Just seems a lame excuse to me that you can't use the gamepad as a tablet. In Pikmin 3 you can play with Wiimote+Nunchuck and use the Gamepad as a map. I don't know what is going on at Ubisoft, but they must have had a pretty big change of heart do shit all over Nintendo like that. And with change of heart I mean a nice bonus from somebody.

Edit: Beaten by Freezie KO .__.

Because the system both doesn't have the userbase to support the high level development costs Ubisoft is committed to, nor the specs to catch downports from the systems' that Ubisoft and the rest of the AAA industry is betting the future on. What's worse is that unlike the Wii the Wii U won't have the large userbase to carry it for the rest of the gen.

Nintendo has effectively made another N64 with this console.
Almost none of which applies to their handling of Rayman Legends.

Second screen gaming is the future.

Still hesitant about developing in the future for the only console that fucking comes with a second screen.

Top Bottom