• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q1 2015 financials; 56% revenue from digital sales

Durante

Personally, I choose to believe that what we are seeing here is primarily the impact of people realizing that Might & Magic X: Legacy was the GotY of 2014 and buying it in droves.

The complaints about Ubisoft's ports are hugely exaggerated and if we're talking about them relative to their console versions, then it's not really an issue. I can't remember the last time a Ubisoft game was worse on PC than it was on consoles and most of the recent ones have some nice PC exclusive effects - which is more than can be said for most games from the big AAA publishers.

Everyone on forums like these complain about Ubisoft regardless of platform, but their games sell a lot anyway - which is probably why it's a good idea not entirely base your opinion on perspectives from enthusiast forums/websites.
Very true.

Interfectum

That is true, but I was just pointing out the demographic differences.

You will have games like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty which will have comparatively negligible day one sales. Then you have something like Witcher or Battlefield, which will match or exceed the console versions.

Yeah Witcher 3 sales split will be quite interesting two years from now.

Caronte

Pretty high and something for sure worth noting. As digital sales grow on console its going to get pubs even better percentage of profit / revenue.

That said, launch time frame sales for almost all AAA games sit squarely between 10-20% digital. The vast majority of AAA games sold at launch still sell at retail.

Edit: Also remember that pre-owned on the console market eats into sales over time, where PC has no such thing. Every copy of a game sold through PC money goes to the dev / pub. Not the case with console.

I meant what's the percentage a publisher takes from a digital console game. 50% or so?

SparkTR

What's the percentage for digital console games?

For retail AAA titles everything I've seen points it to within 10% to 30%. Significant numbers but overshadowed by retail still. No idea about long-tail sales, also things like PS+ and G4G would muddy those figures a bit. PC is around 70-90% digital at this point.

I meant what's the percentage a publisher takes from a digital console game. 50% or so?

You know thats a very good question, and I'm not sure we've ever gotten the percentage breakdown of what pubs see on Xbone or PSN sales. I'm assuming at least a 50% revenue return. Its entirely possible they get similar to the Steam 70% as well, but I don't think we know for certain the breakdown.

Odrion

Banned
The complaints about Ubisoft's ports are hugely exaggerated and if we're talking about them relative to their console versions, then it's not really an issue. I can't remember the last time a Ubisoft game was worse on PC than it was on consoles and most of the recent ones have some nice PC exclusive effects - which is more than can be said for most games from the big AAA publishers.
From first hand experiences and trying to find solutions: Watch_Dogs was terrible, Both Far Cry 3 and 4 have seemingly unresolved stuttering issues, The Crew's in game cutscenes are all fucked up (and also runs way poorer than it looks), Assassin's Creed 4 was unoptimized.

also Batman Arkham Knight has PC exclusive effects too, it means nothing

Gurish

Now it's all clear why AC is back on PS4 and why COD is now there as well, XB1 numbers are really bad, and it's been like this for all the recent big releases, gap is even bigger than before I assume.

Odrion

Banned
Also even Ubisoft admits that their own ports aren't optimized.

Not to mention that their post release support is bad. If the game is bugged to shit, it'll get a couple patches and then unceremoniously dropped.

Nzyme32

What's the percentage for digital console games?

Why do you equate console to physical?

Console digital sales has the retail outlet split (industry standard 30%) and a console royalty fee (same as with physical products) but that should be it.

Physical is generally the most common for console sales but it definitely isn't the only method. Digital is growing on consoles for sure, but now where near as wide spread as it is on PC. For Ubisoft in particular though, they will get 100% of the sale if done through Uplay on PC. Also Valve allows for key generation at no cost to the publisher - so other retailers stores such as GMG, Amazon etc can take 30% but Ubi will still get 70%

Not to mention how fucking awful Uplay is.

Can't trust it not to delete your cloud saves. Hell, can't even trust it not to download a uncorrupted copy of the game.

This goes without saying. It's pretty unbelievable that they are doing so well on PC as it is. If they were actually reliable, did good PC versions and had appropriate pricing per country, they would be more successful

Odrion

Banned
Not to mention how fucking awful Uplay is.

Can't trust it to not delete your cloud saves. Hell, can't even trust it to not download a uncorrupted copy of the game.

Vodh

"Sustained demand for The Crew" has to be a fucking joke right? Nobody bought that shit when it launched so I guess it's maintaining launch level interest but calling that 'demand' is a fucking stretch.

They are selling better on PC than XB1? Wow.
Xb1 numbers recently has been horrible regarding software sales (TW3, AK, Project Cars) what's going on?

They're selling better on PC than the Xbox Family. Admittedly, that's largely due to the regionality of Xbox's popularity versus PC gaming being popular everywhere, including in parts that consoles don't/haven't reached yet, but still.

Alo0oy

Banned
Word.

You can make a PC game today and it'll still be selling 5-10 years from now. Not so with Console games (for the most part).

Given the low Day 1 volume on PC, and given the recent challenges with AAA PC releases and refunds, wouldn't be surprising at all to see everyone go the GTAV route of delaying the PC release.

I don't know how you can say that when games like Crash Bandicoot & FFVII are still selling on PS3 20 years after release, you are aware that PS3 has a vast library from PS1 & sometimes even PS2, or that VC exists on Nintendo, right?

Melchiah

av5l8gc.png

gO4Iwac.png

Nice to see Europe and consoles leading in sales.

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't know how you can say that when games like Crash Bandicoot & FFVII are still selling on PS3 20 years after release, you are aware that PS3 has a vast library from PS1 & sometimes even PS2, or that VC exists on Nintendo, right?

You ignored his aside though: "For the most part". This is true, for the most part.

Just last summer sale alone, Bioshock 1, an almost decade old game brought in over half a million dollars revenue for that publisher. That agme has probably been doing that on every Steam sale for years. I doubt the console version is bringing much if any money these days.

system11

Just once I want to read a report about something I hate in this industry failing.

Just once.

Digital downloads, DLC, pre-orders, season passes.

Just ONCE I want to read that it didn't turn a higher margin than the year prior.

Goddammit.

I share this sentiment.

Ampsicora

Yeah, but if you buy a game for PC, you don't need to buy it again because the system is not retrocompatible. I can play The Witcher on my PC even if I've bought it 8 years ago. Opposite of console, when you need to buy it again if you want to re-playing it on the new system.

They are selling better on PC than XB1? Wow.
Xb1 numbers recently has been horrible regarding software sales (TW3, AK, Project Cars) what's going on?

I think a lot of the hardcore Xbox users are going to PC now. To be honest, I used to be a Xbox fanboy but since I built my PC, I am buying and playing my games on PC using my Xbox One controller.

According to the stats, I am not the only one.

El-Suave

Just once I want to read a report about something I hate in this industry failing.

Just once.

Digital downloads, DLC, pre-orders, season passes.

Just ONCE I want to read that it didn't turn a higher margin than the year prior.

Goddammit.

Don't worry, you can't argue with numbers of course but stats are cherry picked to enhance the corporate agenda. Take my pet peeve of forced multiplayer (4 player co-op) for example. Guillemot praises their strategy and advances in the area but in reality the next AC game will be single player only. Last year companion apps were all the rage - now the Division, that technology's proudest example, dropped it completely.

mosdl

When is the last time people who crap on PC Uplay have used it? It works fine. Haven't had an issue in years. It's improved a lot.

Compared to Steam and Origin the Uplay client is pretty bad. For me at least it can take 20 seconds for the client to go through the checking for updates/logging in segment.

Also OP should now be quoted whenever someone brings up the "PC users only pirate games" arguments.

I share this sentiment.

Don't worry, you can't argue with numbers of course but stats are cherry picked to enhance the corporate agenda. Take my pet peeve of forced multiplayer (4 player co-op) for example. Guillemot praises their strategy and advances in the area but in reality the next AC game will be single player only. Last year companion apps were all the rage - now the Division, that technology's proudest example, dropped it completely.

Glad some people support where I was going with that. Seemed like everyone wasn't really getting what I was saying.

I wonder how much better XB1 would be without the Unity/Black Flag bundle. That had to cut into sales numbers as a large portion of XB1 owners have both games. I'm curious what the numbers would be including bundles.

I am also aware that the sales of such titles, outside of promotional periods, are practically nil.

elelunicy

"Sustained demand for The Crew" has to be a fucking joke right? Nobody bought that shit when it launched so I guess it's maintaining launch level interest but calling that 'demand' is a fucking stretch.

If nobody bought The Crew, I guess people were making copies of Driveclub themselves and then sold them back to Sony.

Circinus

I should buy some Ubisoft shares at some point. I think they're very good at reading the mainstream market and they have a very strong marketing department. I can see them becoming as big as EA in the future.

Also, I have a lot of faith in the Assassin's Creed film.

They shipped 2 million copies after 3 months or something.

Needless to say, anecdotal evidence is often misleading..

Excellent PC numbers.

Oh come on now. Not you too.

jFzyapu.jpg

PC sales were down -56% at Ubi on a YoY basis, only slightly better than the overall decline of -73%.

A 9 point higher share of a -73% declining category are not "excellent PC numbers". They are fairly terrible numbers all around.

Oh come on now. Not you too.

jFzyapu.jpg

PC sales were down -56% at Ubi on a YoY basis, only slightly better than the overall decline of -73%.

A 9 point higher share of a -73% declining category are not "excellent PC numbers". They are fairly terrible numbers all around.

Eh, so it was a slow quarter. Nothing out of the ordinary for a Q1. The percentage still seems great to me.

Eh, so it was a slow quarter. Nothing out of the ordinary for a Q1. The percentage still seems great to me.

Last year had Watch_Dogs which pushed Console share. There's absolutely nothing in this data that should seem anything to you.

All that's clear is that Ubisoft revenues declined by a higher percentage on Console than the high decline it showed on PC.

Top Bottom