• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q1 2015 financials; 56% revenue from digital sales

Anno

It also looks like they discontinued separate reporting of the PSP and DS, which I assume were rolled into Other.

What are you guys talking about? In 2013, they said PC was 20% of their sales. When they looked back at 2013 from 2014, PC had changed to 27%. PS3 and XB2 changed as well.

That's what it says, right? Am I reading it wrong? =/

That's what it says, right? Am I reading it wrong? =/

No, that's what it says, but the discrepancy comes from "other" ending up being 5% instead of the 16% they originally stated.
Without knowing precisely what "other" consists of, there's no way of knowing why that change occurred.

For example, if they were licencing Assassins Creed as a boardgame to an external manufacturer who had sold 100 million copies of the board game, they would declare x% of those units sold as revenue due to expected licencee income.
If that boardgame company suddenly went into liquidation and they were a low priority creditor, they might not end up getting any of those due royalties, and have to adjust later earnings reports accordingly.

Which, we can take away something we always knew as well.

PC generates longer legs than consoles, while console sales are more front loaded. Benefits to both.

On console, you see a greater percentage of full priced sales. Great for driving those huge number quarters. PC still contributes a solid number to launch month but no as high as consoles will.

On PC, you get longer legs, at a higher profit point, and sustained revenue. This is nice for quarters like we have now where there aren't any major releases. Suddenly PC becomes very important and a huge part of your business due to the sustained volume you will see.

For sure benefits to both but I think its safe to take away PC has to be a priority going foreward for Ubi.

Actually the digital space on PSN is changing that. Consider I just picked up Arkham Origins and DMC HD collection on PSN for 8 bucks a peice. Consoles through their digital store can now offer competitive bargain prices. The more popular the digital store becomes the more frequently we'll be seeing these flash sales.

Actually the digital space on PSN is changing that. Consider I just picked up Arkham Origins and DMC HD collection on PSN for 8 bucks a peice. Consoles through their digital store can now offer competitive bargain prices. The more popular the digital store becomes the more frequently we'll be seeing these flash sales.

Right now though digital PSN flash sales are selling products that don't actually work on anything other than legacy hardware.

No, that's what it says, but the discrepancy comes from "other" ending up being 5% instead of the 16% they originally stated.
Without knowing precisely what "other" consists of, there's no way of knowing why that change occurred.

For example, if they were licencing Assassins Creed as a boardgame to an external manufacturer who had sold 100 million copies of the board game, they would declare x% of those units sold as revenue due to expected licencee income.
If that boardgame company suddenly went into liquidation and they were a low priority creditor, they might not end up getting any of those due royalties, and have to adjust later earnings reports accordingly.
Okay, but their sales weren't adjusted. In 2013, they said they had €76M in sales that quarter, and PC represented 20% of that €76M, or €15.2M. In 2014, they again said they earned €76M back in Q1FY2013-2014, but PC was suddenly 27% of that, or €20.5M; an adjustment of more than €5M. PS3 went from 23% to 25%. XB2 went from 23% to 27%.

Yes, Others went from 16% to 5%, and it seems like all of that adjustment and then some went in to PC, XB2, and PS3. Why? What they initially thought was €5M in iOS sales turned out to be an additional €5M PC sales instead?? How does something like that happen, and why would they retroactively change the 2013 results without even commenting on it?

Edit: Actually, Others should've grown, as stuff like the DS and the PSP got rolled in to it for the 2014 report. Instead, Others shrank dramatically, and PC, XB2, and PS3 all grew without explanation.

How does something like that happen, and why would they retroactively change the 2013 results without even commenting on it?

Nobody who isn't an accountant at ubisoft can tell you.
It could literally be almost anything.
It could be that DLC revenue was counted separately to software revenue, and as DLC becomes a more important revenue stream they changed their reporting practices to tie it directly to software sales.
It could be Sony and MS refunding certification fees, marketing costs and platform royalties in exchange for hardware bundling.
It could be someone in the accounting division thought Ghost Recon Phantoms was an IOS game not a PC F2P title, and put it in the wrong column by mistake.

Nobody here knows, and if anyone here does know they can't tell you.

Banned? what happen
I was wondering the same.

You mean the Vita and the 3DS or are they listed somewhere? I don't know what they release on those any more.
No, in 2013, they split out the DS and the PSP, and each had 1% of their sales. Then in 2014, they didn't split those platforms out, so presumably they should've been rolled in to Other, taking it from 16% to 18%. But instead of being 18%, for some reason Other is only 5%, and PC, XB2, and PS3 have grown by a total of 13%; exactly the same amount that Other seems to have shrunk.

Durante

Banned? what happen
I'm also really confused. I recognize MrNyarlathotep as a great poster so I looked through his recent post history, and everything there seems better than 90% of the posts on GAF :p

Either the post which was the reason was deleted completely (it happens), or he asked for a ban (this has also happened before), or I missed something.

Three

If I had to guess i would say it was this

Right now though digital PSN flash sales are selling products that don't actually work on anything other than legacy hardware.

Which was an incorrect statement that probably came across like a bad troll post. There have been ubisoft PS4 games in those sales and so that post comes across badly.

That or his avatar looked shifty in that hat and jacket. I'd ban him too for looking like that. If watch_dogs has taught me anything it's that people in coats like that are up to no good. ;P

It could be that DLC revenue was counted separately to software revenue, and as DLC becomes a more important revenue stream they changed their reporting practices to tie it directly to software sales.
Hey, I may have figured out what you actually meant, and/or what actually happened. If you substitute "platform" for "software" in the above quote, that would make a lot of sense.

So what probably happened was, they used to lump all DLC — regardless of platform — under Other sales, but at some point, they decided to start grouping it with the full-game sales of the platform on which the DLC in question was sold. That would explain why PC, XB2, and PS3 collectively grew by the amount that Other shrank.

Mystery (probably) solved. :)

Top Bottom