• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Quebec working on a "AAA MMORPG", possibly for Wii U

BurntPork

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ubisoft making an "AAA" game on a Nintendo platform! That's rich!

Sorry, but I'm not falling for it again. It's going to be shit, and a C-team is going to work on it with a budget better suited for a 3DS or Wii game. Just watch.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, but I'm not falling for it again. It's going to be shit, and a C-team is going to work on it with a budget better suited for a 3DS or Wii game. Just watch.

The sky is blue.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'd agree with you if this was some sort of PR statement or an interview but this is job postings. Why are they going to hire AAA developers specifically for Wii U only to make a C-level project?

I'd agree with you if this was some sort of PR statement or an interview but this is job postings. Why are they going to hire AAA developers specifically for Wii U only to make a C-level project?
They've never done anything on the Wii to earn that trust from Nintendo gamers.

I'll accept that it says AAA in the job postings, but I won't believe it until I see the game(s) with my own two eyes.

Zapages

Rumors have it from what I know that the next Prince of Persia is going to be announced in early 2012.

So maybe it deals with this. ?_?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, what would a job posting say, if you're a bad developer join us for Wii U shovelware? They'd want to attract the best people that will, er, fall for it, regardless, no? Not just for this but for any future projects. We don't know the position terms, proposed pay and such, do we? Just that it's full time for a claimed AAA project. Doesn't mean the game will get that sort of budget and attention. Anyway, definitely doesn't sound like an MMO with that matchmaking stuff. What other AAA games has that team done?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They've never done anything on the Wii to earn that trust from Nintendo gamers.

I'll accept that it says AAA in the job postings, but I won't believe it until I see the game(s) with my own two eyes.

Well, that really depends on who you ask...
Ubisoft is the #1 Third Party publisher on both Wii and 3DS

Instro

Hm, perhaps its a PC/WiiU release? We already know they are doing dual PC/WiiU release for that Ghost Recon game. Certainly interesting, strange that we apparently now have 2 mmo's coming system early on.

MMO's are pretty good at capturing casual and hardcore players, and if we assume that Nintendo is allowing a lot of freedom when it comes to online, maybe making an mmo makes sense. Particularly if it has an in game store and such for micro-transactions.

BurntPork

Banned
Well, that really depends on who you ask...
Ubisoft is the #1 Third Party publisher on both Wii and 3DS

That's because they just throw shovelware around like crazy. Here's a list of the decent Ubisoft games on Nintendo platforms in the past 5 years.

Red Steel 2 (which Nintendo helped with)
Just Dance series
Rayman Origins (which is a port)
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (which was pure luck, had no marketing budget, and is now being ported to iOS)

Compare that to well over a hundred pieces of shitware and tons of broken promises. (Assassin's Creed 3DS anyone?) No. Not falling for it. You will be burned.

guek

Banned
1mil isn't going to cover the cost of an MMO. Expect 10% of the install base to subscribe, and even less to stay on for more than 3 months.

That's not what I said, I was just correcting you.

Besides, it's silly to directly compare the sales potential of a rabbids game and a full scale MMO. Though yeah, I agree that an mmo at launch may not be the best idea.

pulga

Banned
That's because they just throw shovelware around like crazy. Here's a list of the decent Ubisoft games on Nintendo platforms in the past 5 years.

Red Steel 2 (which Nintendo helped with)
Just Dance series
Rayman Origins (which is a port)
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (which was pure luck, had no marketing budget, and is now being ported to iOS)

Compare that to well over a hundred pieces of shitware and tons of broken promises. (Assassin's Creed 3DS anyone?) No. Not falling for it. You will be burned.

Wait, how is a game being good pure luck?

Medalion

Banned
We (no pun intended) hunger for anything Wii-U related beause lord knows we ain't getting squat from Nintendo till E3 or around that point

JWong

Banned
That's not what I said, I was just correcting you.

Besides, it's silly to directly compare the sales potential of a rabbids game and a full scale MMO. Though yeah, I agree that an mmo at launch may not be the best idea.

Breaking 1 mil on the Wii isn't really spectacular though. Anything remotely interesting and casual could break 1 mil. Even that terrible Carnival Game probably broke 1 mil.

-KRS-

Ubisoft and AAA in the same sentence? Seems unlikely, but hopefully it'll actually turn out to be something really great for once.

guek

Banned
Breaking 1 mil on the Wii isn't really spectacular though. Anything remotely interesting and casual could break 1 mil. Even that terrible Carnival Game probably broke 1 mil.

With the possible exception of subscription based multi-million dollar MMOs, breaking 1mil is always good sales. Great? Spectacular? No. But good.

Being completely serious though:

Source: http://www.facebook.com/ubisoftquebec?v=app_404596412628

This really does sound like a non-MMO game.

That's not to say Ubisoft's MMO couldn't be for the Wii U, but that the AAA Wii U game sounds like a different project.

Agreed. They are actually confirmed to be behind AssCreed Wii U, could be that.

But yeah, I say with 99.99% certainty that the MMORPG and the Wii U AAA game are seperate.

If this isn't AssCreed, I'm really interested in seeing what it is. :)

I think an MMO would work wonderfully on the Wii U controller. I'm interested to see what will come of this but I'll definitely keep my expectations in check.

On the topic of Wii U MMO possibilities, my wet dream come true would be Phantasy Star Online 2 on the Wii U.

I think an MMO would work wonderfully on the Wii U controller. I'm interested to see what will come of this but I'll definitely keep my expectations in check.

On the topic of Wii U MMO possibilities, my wet dream come true would be Phantasy Star Online 2 on the Wii U.

A 1000x this! :D

Shiggy

It's a new Assassin's Creed spin-off, as indicated by the first teaser:

mariocreed9wy9h.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Other skills:

Keen interest and knowledge of fighting games
Fighting is obviously an integral part of certain MMORPGs but it COULD involve the characters of a major AAA fighter franchise!

STREET FIGHTER MMORPG?

Top Bottom