• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft reportedly revoking The Crew from owners' libraries following server shutdown

mrcroket

After shutting down The Crew's servers at the end of March, Ubisoft has reportedly started removing the open-world racer from owners' libraries and revoking their user license.

"You no longer have access to this game. Why not check the Store to pursue your adventures?"

Remember to get used to not owning the games, kids.

dave_d

At least on my account it lists it as an inactive game. To be fair, I got it for free some how and never actually played it.(Maybe Amazon Prime or something.)

DaGwaphics

This was one of those games that had no offline mode at all?

I can't stand it when they do that. Even if many features have to be turned off, try to make them still functional. Maybe this was a favorite game for some people.

phant0m

This was one of those games that had no offline mode at all?

I can't stand it when they do that. Even if many features have to be turned off, try to make them still functional. Maybe this was a favorite game for some people.
Yeah this is BS. If they want to shutdown a game like this they need to patch it to work offline or give existing owners a free upgrade to Crew 2.

I’m actually a big proponent of “digital future” and find the fearmongering tactics of “bUt WhAt If ThEy ReVoKe YoUr LiCeNsEs” to be largely disingenuous but here’s Ubi proving them right.

I have plenty of Steam games no longer really playable because the servers are dead (it happens) but I can still install them.

There’s no need for this, smh.

Futaleufu

Yeah this is BS. If they want to shutdown a game like this they need to patch it to work offline or give existing owners a free upgrade to Crew 2.
People who actually played TC1 moved on to TC2 years ago. Compared to TC2, TC1 barely has any content.

Drew1440

It's a lot more common than you think, especially for PC releases that require activation of which the servers no longer exist. Whats even worse is these are single player games that shouldn't need an Internet connection to play.

Adding more salt is that many PC releases are no longer physical, meaning the same thing could happen with Steam (and has already kinda happened as shown in the video, with certain games not working as Valve dropped support for older versions of Windows, with problematic games being replaced with remastered versions that lose content or have their own set of problems)

Futaleufu

TC 2 is nowhere near as good.

TC1 had no endgame, there was barely anything to do after completing the story. Upgrading cars was a PITA because you couldn't switch parts from other cars. TC2 fixed everything wrong with the endgame of TC1, has 9 seasons of additional content and the weekly summit events keep the game fresh.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It's a lot more common than you think, especially for PC releases that require activation of which the servers no longer exist. Whats even worse is these are single player games that shouldn't need an Internet connection to play.

Adding more salt is that many PC releases are no longer physical, meaning the same thing could happen with Steam (and has already kinda happened as shown in the video, with certain games not working as Valve dropped support for older versions of Windows, with problematic games being replaced with remastered versions that lose content or have their own set of problems)

Yeah, just saw this video yesterday. Policies indicates are BS. Even Valve is full of it. If they don’t want to support older OS, fine, then release downloadable of the games they aren’t relying on modern Steamworks.

DaGwaphics

Yeah, just saw this video yesterday. Policies indicates are BS. Even Valve is full of it. If they don’t want to support older OS, fine, then release downloadable of the games they aren’t relying on modern Steamworks.

This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see MS start to focus on getting windows games (from all stores) into VMs of some kind. That could go a long way in keeping things available down the road, as changing protocols/encryption types etc. would all be happening on the underlying OS before getting translated to the VM. Would probably open up option to save states (Xbox QR) as well, even if it were a manual option in the game bar.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see MS start to focus on getting windows games (from all stores) into VMs of some kind. That could go a long way in keeping things available down the road, as changing protocols/encryption types etc. would all be happening on the underlying OS before getting translated to the VM. Would probably open up option to save states (Xbox QR) as well, even if it were a manual option in the game bar.
Or… they could strip DRM and publish DRM free games free a year or two from release.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Can confirm. Game is greyed out on Ubisoft Connect. Motorfest is fantastic and leagues better anyway. Ubisoft should drop The Crew name and just call it Motorfest

TexMex

I understand the outrage in most situations and on paper it’s scummy, but if this is an online only game, and the online has been shut off, why would anyone care?

Raven117

I’m actually a big proponent of “digital future” and find the fearmongering tactics of “bUt WhAt If ThEy ReVoKe YoUr LiCeNsEs” to be largely disingenuous but here’s Ubi proving them right.

I have plenty of Steam games no longer really playable because the servers are dead (it happens) but I can still install them.

There’s no need for this, smh.
You are incredibly naive.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I understand the outrage in most situations and on paper it’s scummy, but if this is an online only game, and the online has been shut off, why would anyone care?
So that in the future someone could possibly create a custom server and require a legally purchased copy of the game to use it.

BlackTron

Only buy dirt cheap in sales at rental prices. You won't feel as fucked.

Obviously the industry would crash if we all had this attitude, but I got there a long time ago. What will they do when too many people get sick of it, squeeze more MTX from free games?!

stickkidsam

Can we get a law requiring publishers/studios to release an offline patch for games if taken down? I mean what other product can you buy physically that can be made into a paperweight in a whim?

Top Bottom