• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

ghostmind

Glad I built my PC last year with some "future-proofing". I'll be getting this on PS4 initially, but I'm sure I will get it on PC once it has hit the Steam Sale status.

Gothos

Looking at those requirements I'm happy that I mainly play strategy and RPG games :)

BTW, is there any way to avoid redirecting the link in OP to my local Ubi store which doesn't show those specs?

kiguel182

Have they showed any current-gen footage? I'm really curious to see how it looks there.

Also, if they have a low-end version why not make it available for PC too? According to the Steam survey not a lot of people are going to be able to play it.

I hope not. We've been on 4 cores configurations for 3 years now if we count from Sandy Bridge, more if we count from Nehalem, i think its time when 6 cores will replace 4 cores and there will be 8 cores CPUs for around 400-500$.

Would they really go from 4 to 6 rather than straight to 8? A 6 core chip sounds like a defective 8 core they relabeled.

Gothos

Considering 2 of the latest major RTS releases have been performance shitstains, not sure how valid that statement is.

Well, unoptimized games can appear in any genre but I think one can safely say that RPG and startegy titles usually come with lower requiremenets.

Arma 3 already told me to upgrade. This is just tuaunting me.

I dont mind waiting a few months to get a used copy for the 360. Hate that the upping of standard in development has hit so high. Like doing shots for several years, blackout drunk and having fun, and then this bloody hangover comes along. Such a huge leap in less than six months.

SalomonA

Ok so, am I totally fucked with my 4gb of ram? Jesus, I mean, the game doesn't look THAT good (from what I've seen).
Getting some GTV IV shitty performance vibes here...

LCGeek

formerly sane
I now deeply regret getting a 3570k. It's plenty they said, no game will need above that they said.

No half-measures on my next PC purchase.

If you were future proofing even slightly that wasn't a solid choice where as I7 are. 3570k though still isn't bad and is still competitive. Unless ubisoft seriously borked performance it should still be quite competitive for playing the game at the recommended spec especially considering it doesn't account for overclocking. Doubt one at 4.2ghz is going to be having troubles considering ipc on that cpu is pretty damn good.

KKRT00

Would they really go from 4 to 6 rather than straight to 8? A 6 core chip sounds like a defective 8 core they relabeled.

Haswell-E3.jpg

Haswell-E4.jpg

-------

8 Cores, gaaaaawd' - We need to pick up the pace here

ZxFjFSu.jpg

Yeah, You have no reason to upgrade till Skylake.

Well, unoptimized games can appear in any genre but I think one can safely say that RPG and startegy titles usually come with lower requiremenets.

The memories. Neverwimter Nights 2 ran like crap in 2006. It was super demanding for my system back then, and I could play FEAR easily.

vpance

Are people actually complaining about this?

I thought the point of our PC overlords is to push gaming performance and horizons?

I think it's more that some are miffed they aren't overlord status yet. And that, can be very dependent on devs, lazy or otherwise.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
>People complain about current gen holding PC gaming back.
>Next gen is released
>People complain about PC spec requirement increases.

Wut?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Does intel have any plan to release 8 core CPUs? I went and saw their roadmap and Haswell doesn't seem to be of 8 cores (physical) in any configuration. It does not seem that great in performance improvement over Ivy Bridge anyway. With the next Tock planned in 2015-16, does it mean we will be stuck with 4 core intel CPUs till then? I might be planning to get an AMD 8 core then. What is this? Bizzaro world?

SalomonA

>Next gen is released

Wut?
Well developers should utilize the way better specs of the PC compared to current gen, but they should also optimize the game for those who can't afford an upgrade every 2-3 years.

kharma45

Does intel have any plan to release 8 core CPUs? I went and saw their roadmap and Haswell doesn't seem to be of 8 cores (physical) in any configuration. It does not seem that great in performance improvement over Ivy Bridge anyway. With the next Tock planned in 2015-16, does it mean we will be stuck with 4 core intel CPUs till then? I might be planning to get an AMD 8 core then. What is this? Bizzaro world?

Haswell-E will have 8 cores.

Might see 6 cores with Skylake but that is a long way off.

RalchAC

So we can expect the game to be 15 fps and 480p with no AA, shitty shadows, shitty draw distance and a max of 5 cars and 10 dudes in screen in 7th gen?

Because, man... those minimum specs are like 8-10x the specs of the PS360.

I'm not buying the PS4 at launch and I won't buy this game neither. When I buy it next year, i'll probably wait until it hits PS+.

And my laptop was running 2013 games decently (at least Tomb Raider did).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
>Next gen is released

Wut?

i think people were a little more cavalier about the idea before the BF4 beta which halved everyone's performance for very little tangible benefit.

derExperte

When was the last time you looked at the price of ram? It's been going crazy for a while.

It's more like the crazy times are now behind us. Those prices were so low that the manufacturers were barely making money or none at all and historically speaking we still have cheap RAM. Also a lot of people suggested to buy more over the last couple of years irregardless of necessity.

but i only have an i5 :(

Me too. Wait until the benchmarks are out, then be sad or not.

Raistlin

Well developers should utilize the way better specs of the PC compared to current gen, but they should also optimize the game for those who can't afford an upgrade every 2-3 years.
This implies the game is not optimized, which we have no basis for.

It's quite possible that instead of simply offering better IQ and higher res/framerates (which is what high-end machines grant you on current games), they are actually designing a game that simply needs these sorts of specs in order to operate. Which really is what PC enthusiasts should want ... new gameplay experiences that are actually not possible on weaker HW.

And it's not like this is going to suddenly happen to all games or something.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You've have 7 years to upgrade. You knew this was coming. Irregardless of ubisofts optimization track record (which you can't even apply to this game beforehand) what will you all say when these specs become the norm or devs demand higher? Will you call them lazy too?

dLMN8R

If you want your ports of next-gen console games to be uncompromised on PC, you have to get used to this.

Everyone saying the game should be "optimized" is pretty ignorant and oblivious to the actual effects upon gameplay that 8-year-old hardware has been causing on PC games recently.

If you think Watch Dogs will be the same underlying gameplay on 360/PS3 and PC/PS4/One you're probably mistaken, severely.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
hmmmm just checked the 16gb of ram i got for 124 earlier this year is 177 now o_O

was there some big natural disaster i missed?

Yeah. RAM prices just arent going down. same with SSDs. Whts up with that?

Haswell-E will have 8 cores.

Might see 6 cores with Skylake but that is a long way off.

Yeah just saw the pic above. When is the 8 core expected? Late 2014? Thats still too late. :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm, I just barely can pass the minimum for CPU and GPU, lol.

Time to stop waiting for a deal to buy parts, and finish my build once the new GPU trade-off settles down in a week or two.

Top Bottom