• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

Sandfox

Well it looks like I'm gonna need to overclock for sure now and its about time to retire my 6850. The recommended specs are kinda ridiculous from cpu perspective but eh.

Gestault

MINIMUM
Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

fFwbR0b.png

Aeana

I don't have a problem with the game using 6GB, but I can't help but be skeptical that it'll actually need all of that.

Skeff

Good good, let's push PC's and get great games.

Going to wait until Holiday 2014 and build my own SteamBox.

KKRT00

I'm also planning for a Haswell-E build, and I have the vague fear that I might never have to change it.

Dunno if never, i actually fear that there will be change in motherboard construction design with Volta release in 2017 :p
Feeding 32+GB VRAM GPU through PCI-E 4.0 wont be too efficient :p

char0n

Well, I just meet the minimum for CPU/RAM (6 gigs, i7 920), so knowing how spec recommendations for PC games typically work I'll need to build a whole new PC to get the superior experience it seems (I'll probably get sub 30 fps on anything over medium settings). Supports my current plan to get the PS4 version, wait a couple of years, then build a ~$800 new PC that will be able to play this at fullest spec and the newest games at high spec with the bonus of being able to double dip at probably a < $20 price point during a Steam sale.

It's not really all that heavy. E.g. a 3 GHz quad core Phenom is somewhat more powerful than the 8 core 1.6 GHz Jaguar in the consoles, but not excessively so.

Different people. Real 90s PC gamers are used to this happening every 2 years, not every 7.

I wonder how many people complaining about this even had a PC before like 2008.

RulkezX

So the engine scales to PS360 levels , but on PC it needs those specs ?

The current gen versions must look like Wii games.

koutoru

The minimum specs make it seem ridiculous that there is even a version of this game that runs on 512 MB of ram.

Tan

I really don't know much about processors but how would this rate:
AMD Phenom II X6 1065T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz ?

Above minimum? Way below recommended?

Durante

I really don't know much about processors but how would this rate:
AMD Phenom II X6 1065T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz ?

Above minimum? Way below recommended?
Above minimum, and finally games might actually use your 6 CPU cores. Could OC that a bit and get reasonably close to recommended, if the game parallelizes as well as the suggested specs imply.

Scoff at console's paltry specs.

Complain when required specs PC specs are higher.

lol.

I've had 12 gigs of RAM for years now people. Come on, did you really think your 4 gigs installed in 09 were future proof?

Raistlin

Are people actually complaining about this?

I thought the point of our PC overlords is to push gaming performance and horizons?

Just start saving money, because Haswell-E will be released in Q2 2014 and will bring Haswell CPUs in 6 and 8 cores configurations :)

I'm definitely buying 8 cores/16 threads CPU, not only it will be glorious, but i wont have to change it for next 7 years.
The only 'scary' part with buying as 'future proof' is that with Volta GPUs there can be change in motherboard construction direction. Its not certain, but there is possibility.

I predict the only 8 core will be the $999 Extreme model.

Vashetti

Banned

lol.

I've had 12 gigs of RAM for years now people. Come on, did you really think your 4 gigs installed in 09 were future proof?

I know, right?

I'm not even a PC gamer but find it amusing that people are complaining that their years old stuff isn't up to scratch anymore.

Time to move on people!

Sandfox

lol.

I thought the point of our PC overlords is to push gaming performance and horizons?
I think there's the group of people who love to push specs and are happy about this, the ones who bought strong PCs recently that don't even reach recommended now or people, and the ones who just don't want to build a new PC lol.

Furyous

I expect this to be the standard going forward due to console specs. It does suck for PC gamers and I understand the frustration.

Gbraga

I hope there's a demo, or at least benchmark as well. I'm curious to see how my rig will handle it and how 60fps settings will look, but the game doesn't get me excited enough to get it day one.

Maybe a demo could even change my mind.

Durante

I expect this to be the standard going forward due to console specs. It does suck for PC gamers and I understand the frustration.
As a PC gamer, I think it's wonderful.

What frustrated me was the half-decade of standstill.

There are more people complaining about people complaining (often with remarks about "master race" or "overlords") than there are people complaining.

Yeah, confused about that myself. Even if this game was lead on PC, with these sort of minimum and recommended requirements, what sacrifices had to be made for the PS3 and 360 versions?

As a PC gamer, I think it's wonderful.

What frustrated me was the half-decade of standstill.

There are more people complaining about people complaining (often with remarks about "master race" or "overlords") than there are people complaining.

That's true. Thank god for the new console's from a PC-gamer POV because finally the platform won't be held back because of a ludicrous 512mb memory limit, chief amongst other things.

KKRT00

I predict the only 8 core will be the $999 Extreme model.

I hope not. We've been on 4 cores configurations for 3 years now if we count from Sandy Bridge, more if we count from Nehalem, i think its time when 6 cores will replace 4 cores and there will be 8 cores CPUs for around 400-500$.

Sethos

Banned
I hope not. We've been on 4 cores configurations for 3 years now if we count from Sandy Bridge, more if we count from Nehalem, i think its time when 6 cores will replace 4 cores and there will be 8 cores CPUs for around 400-500$.

8 Cores, gaaaaawd' - We need to pick up the pace here

ZxFjFSu.jpg

deroli

I do not care about Watch Dogs that much, although I might buy it when it has gotten cheaper (read: steam sale). But it is still a bummer that it won't run on my current pc, as it has only 4gb of ram. I just saw that another 4gb will be about 30€, so it's no big deal. But still... I consider(ed) my pc decent :(
Oh and now I'm very curious how the current gen versions will look like compared to pc min settings. Afaik they haven't released any screenshots yet?

Not any more, prices on it have risen pretty fast.
Gotta know where to look. I just got 16 GB ( two 8 GB sticks ) of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory for $99, clearance at Frys. Routinely, you can get that for about $120-130. Memory is not that expensive. If you want super-high performance memory, you pay more, as always.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Come ooonnn i5 2500K, the little cpu that could.

bee

Not necessarily, I can't remember anyone complaining about poor optimization when Crysis was released and needed 8800 GTX to be maxed out. But in return you got to enjoy the cutting edge.

But that was then and this is Ubisoft, so some skepticism is in order.

you've got to be shitting me???

I now deeply regret getting a 3570k. It's plenty they said, no game will need above that they said.

No half-measures on my next PC purchase.

luckily ram is so cheap these days.

i think i should be able to do 'high' good, which is about all i need.

the pros of having kinda shitty eyes.

Top Bottom