• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft talks Zombi U sequel; possible co-op

Nilaul

Not sure how co-op can be implemented well, but I'm glad they admitted how dumb the man hole/barricade tapping was.

Between this and the GameInformer (surprising venue considering how much they ignored/ shit on the game since its announcement) interview going into different melee weapons, I'm pumped for a well-developed sequel.

Well creating a barricade shouldnt be just pressing a bottom, has to have some touchscreen implications to add tension. So "tapping in" various nails worked well there.

However tap the barricade to remove it was a bit ridiculous.

They should remove the radar though.

Nilaul

I think co-op could work, but in a REALLY passive way. Like, you don't set up a gain or join a friend's hosted match, but instead it's kind of like an expanded social networking element similar to the infected system they've already got (which, might I add, needs to stay).

Think of it like this: whenever you play ZombiU 2 you play it exactly as you did ZombiU: alone. But if you've got the game set to stay connected to the internet while in play, it's possible that when you enter a zone you will connect to another person's Wii U and passive multiplayer will begin. You're both existing inside the same game world, and you can chose to do whatever you want to do from there.

Similar to Dark Souls invade feature. It would be a massive multiplayer mode. You never know when or where you're going to bump into another survivor, or let alone who. It's totally random and unexpected.

Within a larger game world than what ZombiU offers, that could be neat. Indirect, passive multiplayer connections, but still a multiplayer 'environment', where players can on the off chance see and interact with one another.

However only people at the same point like you will be able to connect with you. Which will make the odds of multiplayer even smaller.

I think a sequel (with slightly more dev time and or budget) could be a great opportunity to grow the ideas found in the game. It's got a pretty solid base and I hope they are given the chance because they seem like a really passionate group of devs.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Can't wait. Loved ZombiU.

me too. I've tought about it tonight and I'd really, really love a sequel. They managed to do it for Red steel, so I really hope that they can do it also for Zombi U, considering how good are the feedbacks from the players that actually played it.

trinest

Can I have killer freaks instead?

(to be honest I feel it will be like red steel, original with flaws but 100x better then the sequel).

Those are great quotes. I was really put off by the cheap tapping elements, so I'm glad they see that as a mistake.

Putting doubt in co-op sounds like a great idea. Maybe it should be somewhat like Dark Souls where you can bring friends in, and have invading players.

I just don't like the way you have to close the backpack. That should have also been mapped to a button.

Just move the left analog stick.

I think co-op could work, but in a REALLY passive way. Like, you don't set up a gain or join a friend's hosted match, but instead it's kind of like an expanded social networking element similar to the infected system they've already got (which, might I add, needs to stay).

Think of it like this: whenever you play ZombiU 2 you play it exactly as you did ZombiU: alone. But if you've got the game set to stay connected to the internet while in play, it's possible that when you enter a zone you will connect to another person's Wii U and passive multiplayer will begin. You're both existing inside the same game world, and you can chose to do whatever you want to do from there.

Similar to Dark Souls invade feature. It would be a massive multiplayer mode. You never know when or where you're going to bump into another survivor, or let alone who. It's totally random and unexpected.

Within a larger game world than what ZombiU offers, that could be neat. Indirect, passive multiplayer connections, but still a multiplayer 'environment', where players can on the off chance see and interact with one another.

I'm undecided wether such a coop/VS system should be constrained to a zone by zone system. It would mean people will be able to just avoid any contact by leaving a zone. It would also prohibit gang buildings.

Also, how many survivors per zone should there be? 2, 4, 10?

Walking in on an intense survivor vs. survivor standoff would necessitate more than 2 per zone limit.

Gang formations would be a neat thing, but then again, it could provide huge problems (roadblocking new players to troll them.)

The ZombiU team seems to understand what made the first game great and where it fell short. I want another one with more polish and the proposed organic coop/social play.

Oidisco

I'm glad they understand where they went wrong for some parts of the game. If they do get to make a sequel, I'd honestly be very surprised if they did much of any pandering, making the game easier or less Metroid-esque.
Anyways, there's a couple of things I would effin love to see in a sequel:

I remember them mentioning something about a Roaming Horde feature back around E3 (I think it was E3, might've been later).
Basically at random times there would be a huge amount of zombies in certain areas and you'd have to use your CCTV cameras to plan out certain routes to avoid them, or simply avoid going to that area all together before they move on.
I think this could've added so much to the game, because outside of main missions, most areas are pretty devoid of zombies.

More large buildings to explore. Buckingham Palace is my favourite area of the game, without a doubt. It was huge, creepy and had plenty of little secrets and alternate routes. More of that please!

I would've liked a bigger hub area. The safe house and sub-way hub wasn't as big as I was hoping. (I'm used to Metroid hub areas being huge). Some random attacks on the safehouse would be cool cos I liked that section early in the game.

And finally, one thing I saw people complain about was the lack of attachment to their survivors. It would be hard to do, but maybe making some sort've random task for each survivor you play as could add a lot to you caring about them even more. Maybe one survivor is searching for a loved one,or their pet dog, or whatever. It doesn't have to be really in depth, but I think most people would agree that if they pulled it off, it would awesome!

andthebeatgoeson

yeah. as far as 'co-op' goes, it'd be fun if basically when you run into someone else, it gives you a shared side mission which you both have to work together to complete, but that there is a small random chance that one player is given the objective of killing the other.

if they aren't assigned that task, the spoils are only shared if they don't kill each other, but if they are given that task, then they will get all the spoils if they succeed and none if they don't.

if it's just up to the players, people will always try to kill each other and it'll be too predictable.
Very nice. Put in objectives to prevent players from killing each other.

Mael

I'm glad they understand where they went wrong for some parts of the game. If they do get to make a sequel, I'd honestly be very surprised if they did much of any pandering, making the game easier or less Metroid-esque.
Anyways, there's a couple of things I would effin love to see in a sequel:

I remember them mentioning something about a Roaming Horde feature back around E3 (I think it was E3, might've been later).
Basically at random times there would be a huge amount of zombies in certain areas and you'd have to use your CCTV cameras to plan out certain routes to avoid them, or simply avoid going to that area all together before they move on.
I think this could've added so much to the game, because outside of main missions, most areas are pretty devoid of zombies.

More large buildings to explore. Buckingham Palace is my favourite area of the game, without a doubt. It was huge, creepy and had plenty of little secrets and alternate routes. More of that please!

I would've liked a bigger hub area. The safe house and sub-way hub wasn't as big as I was hoping. (I'm used to Metroid hub areas being huge). Some random attacks on the safehouse would be cool cos I liked that section early in the game.

And finally, one thing I saw people complain about was the lack of attachment to their survivors. It would be hard to do, but maybe making some sort've random task for each survivor you play as could add a lot to you caring about them even more. Maybe one survivor is searching for a loved one,or their pet dog, or whatever. It doesn't have to be really in depth, but I think most people would agree that if they pulled it off, it would awesome!
That would be good but I'd say I'm very attached to my survivors as it is.
I started with a phd scientific guy and I really wanted him to survive...well lol.
Now I'm with that middle aged guy and I know I don't want to progress because I'm pretty sure he'll die in the next section because of a huge horde coming his way(that's what the radar is indicating though)...

Hoypaloy

Neo Member
So good to hear they're thinking on a sequel. Was MAJORLY concerned that some of those hideous early reviews would kill it. Now we just have to hope they don't dumb down number 2 to please the naysayers.

Hero

Eh, screw the early negative press. ZombiU owned, and much of what the early reviews complained about was a matter of preference and/or missing the point. The worst thing that could happen to a sequel is pandering to complaints from people who really just didn't gel with the kind of game ZombiU is, or succumbing to a larger budget and trying to up the anti in product.

The slow, methodical, grim trek through apocalyptic London needs to stay. No pandering to lazy gamers. No scripting. No hand holding. No voice protagonist, abundance of cutscenes, or setpiece driven level design. Just the same kind of game ZombiU is, with focus put on the areas ZombiU could grow: bigger game world with even more Metroidvania style progression and short cuts, more "random" elements, and more stuff to discover.

ZombiU+. Make that and you have my money.

You have my cricket bat. I loved Zombi U. Despite all of its flaw it managed to be original and delivered in spades in terms of being an actual survival horror game that seemingly the rest of the big publishers abandoned. In a year where reviewers didn't even hesitate to give Mass Effect 3 9's and 10's it's hilarious to see them give good, original games low scores for being something other than what they wanted it to be.

I got a comment on my review that said the game was awful in part because there was no jump button. I was like, what exactly would that have done? There's no platforming in the game.

Hoypaloy

Neo Member
Those GS/IGN reviews were baffling. The only explanation I've been able to muster is that they didn't invest in the atmosphere of the game - played in a busy, well lit office, music on, people chatting bla bla bla. I guess in those circumstances the game might not come across as well as it should. One of the games of the year for me.

Those GS/IGN reviews were baffling. The only explanation I've been able to muster is that they didn't invest in the atmosphere of the game - played in a busy, well lit office, music on, people chatting bla bla bla. I guess in those circumstances the game might not come across as well as it should. One of the games of the year for me.

The Gamespot reviewer played himself into a corner by using only the cricket bat, not taking advantage of all the resources you can get right at the get go.

Not too sure about IGN.

Game Informer was dead set against the game since its announcement, partially due to the fact that they were hyping the hell out of Killer Freaks From Outer Space and the game changed to ZombiU. Still no excuse.

Atmosphere was probably a factor, but maybe also expecting it to be something it wasn't and had no chance of being.

sakipon

Seems to be too soon indeed. Hope it stays exclusive, or atleast won't settle for any compromises regarding Wii U version. Loved the GamePad gameplay.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Zombi U was great, probably the best launch game I've played since Halo.

A sequel would be great as long as they keep the tension of the first game. The Nursery level....

Kevtones

Zombi U was great. It had flaws sure, but it was stressful and explorative in the best way.

The Nursery, while playing through headphones, was the first time I've been scared in 5 years.

big youth

I thought Ubi weren't happy with Wii U sales numbers. Did Zombi U do well enough to warrant a sequel?
Just like 99% of games released I'm sure they expected better sales, but wasn't it the best selling 3rd party game at launch? A sequel published by N wouldn't surprise me at all. It was surely a relatively cheap game to develop.

Top Bottom