• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft to announce more Switch games "quite soon"

OmegaDL50

New Trials on switch would be good :)

IF they use that HD Rumble tech to simulate the feel of the bike on different types of terrain that might be interesting. You are doing all sorts of stunts and jumps on all different types of terrain and elevations in Trials.

Although being able to just create your tracks with the touch screen in handheld mode would also be interesting too. I'm not too sure on motion controls though. Being able to balance the bike by shifting the gyro might seem a bit awkward though.

"quite soon" -> 2020

Calling you out. What makes you say that? Ubi has always been there supporting Ninty consoles from the get-go, they've even invested in new IPs for Ninty console launches. What makes you think we'll have to wait 'till 2020 to get new shit from them on Switch? Hmm?

bibs

Any chance of a downgraded port of Watchdogs 2? I really enjoyed the first one but unfortunately don't have a system which plays the second game.

U2NUMB

Any chance of a downgraded port of Watchdogs 2? I really enjoyed the first one but unfortunately don't have a system which plays the second game.

I really can not imagine that being a thing. The effort it would take to get it to run would not be worth it.

It's possible they have some work into engines to get many of their style games on the switch in the future ...

Thraktor

Wondering if they might announce a new Blue Byte game like Settlers or Anno at GamesCom. Both series have been on Nintendo platforms before and would fit into Ubisoft wanting to focus more on all-age games for the Switch.
Would be nice, but just a speculation of mine.

A new Settlers game on PC & Switch would be nice, I think 7 was really under appreciated. Unfortunately Blue Byte seem to have been doing a lot of support development for big Ubisoft projects recently, I hope they're allowed to go back to work on their own projects soon.

I honestly don't see any of these as a possibility on switch. Mayyyyybeeee crew 2. We are most likely going to see a couple more original titles custom made for switch like Mario rabbids than the ones you listed.

They released AC:III, AC:IV, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Watch Dogs on Wii U, so I don't see why you'd rule out these kinds of games on the vastly more successful Switch. Especially as they're already porting their two main engines to the platform.

I also think you vastly underestimate what's required for "original titles custom made for switch". Mario + Rabbids is a 3 year project spread over two development studios, it is absolutely not a low budget title by any means. More importantly, though, making games for individual platforms just doesn't make financial sense any more for third parties unless they're locked down to that platform for some technical or legal reason. The cost of developing games has gone up so much, and the cost of porting them to a new platform is now a very small proportion of that development cost, so there's really no reason not to bring every game to every platform that can accommodate it. They could have made Starlink, for example, Switch exclusive, but why throw away a huge audience by not bringing it to PS4 and XBO as well? The engine already runs on all three platforms, so the port costs are minimal and they're increasing their audience by perhaps 100m people.

Mario + Rabbids is obviously an exception, as they've been given access to the most valuable IP in gaming, and quite obviously don't have the option of releasing on other platforms. Unless Nintendo hand over any other IPs, though, I doubt we're going to see any other exclusive Switch games from Ubisoft.

Clessidor

A new Settlers game on PC & Switch would be nice, I think 7 was really under appreciated. Unfortunately Blue Byte seem to have been doing a lot of support development for big Ubisoft projects recently, I hope they're allowed to go back to work on their own projects soon.

Well last year in august, Blue Byte announced, that they changed the strategy of their company and stopped their f2p and browsergame development. Instead they wanted to focus more on A. own core-IPs like Settlers and Anno B. develop software tools and service for the Ubisof-family C. Co-Develope Ubisoft titles.
For the last part they started to expand and form a third location besides Düsseldorf and Mainz in Berlin with 50 employees. Which makes them now 350 employees strong.
So I think at least one team should still work on traditional Blue Byte IPs.

Also Blue Byte is turning 30 next year. Would be sad if the oldest still existing German video game developer wouldn't have anything coming up to celebrate it.

Zedark

Come to post in hope, then saw this.....leaving sad.
Would love Origins on Switch, it looks like the best AC in years (since 2 tbh). It foesn't seem likely, but Tom Phillips isn't infallible (no one can be with such matters), and Ubisoft is interested in Switch, so who knows. Will be a technical challenge to pull off, though.

ksamedi

Ill take A Southpark port. And For Honor could be a good fit. pretty much all of their IP are welcome. They have an outstanding library.

Ubisoft, with their deep library of open world games, seems ripe to capitalize on the userbase of Breath of the Wild-loving Switch owners, but they've basically indicated that they're doing nothing like that.

I wonder what they will end up announcing. Hopefully it's not junk.

I'd like to see South Park TSOT and TFBW brought to system, as well as Zombi.

Probably just more Rabbids and Just Dance titles to be expected.

As unrealistic as it would be, I would probably buy AC Origins or any Assassin's Creed games that get ported to Switch.

Shit would be rad to play on the go.

SentryDown

I don't see them doing under delivering ports of their online open world AAA which leaves us with very few of their current brands : Trials, Just Dance, Trackmania, Grow Home/Up. Maybe PC franchises if they have good twists: Anno, Settlers, Might & Magic ? Last possibility would be some digital bundles of their mobile games like Hungry Shark.

Clessidor

Is it likely that they will announce something within the next couple of days?

If not today, i doubt it. Gamescom started. Normally there aren't any new announcements during the rest of the week. Mostly press doing their previews, interviews etc.

Dunno if anything would be announced here. But they do have a mystery slot on their schedule.

DH16VFrXUAEvaYt.jpg:large

South Park would be a great game for it.

I would love to see them mix it up like Rabbids and Mario with their franchises:

Far Cry: Mushroom Kingdom

Assassins Creed: your princess is in another castle.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Damn. I really had high hopes for an announcement. :/

Don't really know when we should expect any news then. Maybe they mean 2018 with..."quite soon. :D

Maybe a fall Direct held by Nintendo?
I believe them when they said what they said. Switch is selling well, they found easy to develop for it with their engine and they ha e been always ready to at least try to support Nintendo consoles

Even Ea just announced "a couple more" games following that with Fe (not the biggest title ever announced but still)

If it isn't Gamescom maybe they will actually wait for a direct

Nintendo usually does a fall direct around TGS

Switch is going to start getting the wii shivekware I'm mostly afraid of how Nintendo does it after wii music etc

But atleast it will bring some good games with it just like wii got house of the dead, klonoa etc

Well like you said in the FFXV thread, a lot of developers are being weirdly secretive about Switch announcements. That suggests there could be a Direct soon with some of these announcements.

Don't wanna sound that negative guy but it feels like we are waiting for announcements since launch and always think games will be shown in the next direct. A lot of Devs been so secretive about potential Switch games since the console started being an success and people asked for ports. It seems like a lot of Devs aren't developing anything for the console and still wait a little bit longer...

Except for Indie Devs. Those guys bring everything to the Switch and it is pure joy to see that. :)

Top Bottom