• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh shit, the PS360 versions are gonna suck. Oh well, any cross-generation game I'm interested in I'll most likely be getting on the PS4 anyway.

you are right.
the fact that they already have the game running on the Wii U, and that they think that the gamepad will be a perfect fit for the hacking device make me hope for a good wii u version.

The Wii U version is going to be a complete disaster. Expecting anything else is the same as people back in the 90s expecting the Gameboy port of Mortal Kombat to be anything other than terrible.

Vexxan

Oh well, I had no intention of buying this for a current gen console anyway. Kinda sucks for other people but I imagine they can't do everything at once since they're developing this game for so many different systems now.

Kallor

Just shit can the PS3/360 versions anyway. Nobody is going to want them with 720/PS4 versions around and they will only look and play really bad.

Spiegel

So Ubisoft Bukarest has the game up and running for Wii U, but they didn't start to develop the versions for the consoles with the biggest userbases?

Wat

OP is jumping to conclusions. Unless Guillemot said something other than the quote in the post

He's only saying that WD is developed as a next gen game first by Ubi Montreal and then other Ubi studios make it fit for older hardware. It doesn't mean that these older versions haven't started development yet or that they are going to wait until development on next gen is finished to start porting the game. That's just crazy

Nibel

The Wii U version is going to be a complete disaster. Expecting anything else is the same as people back in the 90s expecting the Gameboy port of Mortal Kombat to be anything other than terrible.

Glad to see you are alive and well Nostradamus

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, if the Wii-U version is already in development, does that mean the video we saw the other day was running on the Wii-U? :O

I mean this is sarcastic right? Yea it is. lol

Wait, if the Wii-U version is already in development, does that mean the video we saw the other day was running on the Wii-U? :O
The one at the PLAYSTATION event?
PC

Rootbeer

Banned
Probably getting this for PC, but maybe PS4. Actually I'm glad to see developers leaving the old consoles behind and not targeting them first, this gen had a good run. Time to move on.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm referring to new franchise development. COD//Madden/FIFA etc. will continue to release on PS360 for a few years.
It's completely irrelevant. Watch Dogs has been in development for five years, it'll probably be six by the time it launches, given Ubisoft's predilection for huge multinational development, the budget will have been at the very least fifty million dollars, you need that much bare minimum to market it, that's a hundred million dollars, more than three million copies at full price, to break even.

PS4/XB3 exclusive would be insane.

mclem

This sounds like one of the dumbest financial moves ever, release a game for much smaller user bases first and then port it to past gen consoles that have much larger user bases later?

It's a better long-term move than it is a short-term one if you're thinking that the smaller user bases are ones that you're going to need to have a strong foundation on in the future.

UrbanRats

It's completely irrelevant. Watch Dogs has been in development for five years, it'll probably be six by the time it launches, given Ubisoft's predilection for huge multinational development, the budget will have been at the very least fifty million dollars, you need that much bare minimum to market it, that's a hundred million dollars, more than three million copies at full price, to break even.

Maybe they just lied, for some reason. (about it not being in development yet)

mclem

A lot of game development starts on a PC-based version of the title before it's ported over to the consoles.

We had it that the 'PC-based version of the title' was *also* the means by which the designers could edit the content. Two birds with one stone.

Kallor

Not everyone is going to upgrade day one lol.

Yeah, but all i can imagine is the ps3/360 versions playing really badly. They wouldn't be doing anybody any favors, just ripping them off. Besides the most interesting thing about this game is the "Next Gen" look and feel.

mclem

I'm thinking of picking up the Wii U or PS4 version(s), I think that Watch_Dogs would work terrific with a ZombiU-like UI on the GamePad.

Given that you always see your character wandering around with one eye on his cellphone, the pad implementation seems obvious.

beril

The qoute doesn't actually say they haven't started on the other versions; and other interviews have stated they have people working on all platforms simultaniously

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe they just lied, for some reason. (about it not being in development yet)
I could imagine they are. To in some way put greater importance on the next-gen version. It could be a case of someone saying "Why would I upgrade my console when the game is on PS360?", "Well, as of yet it's been made wholly for next-gen, we haven't even started the current gen versions actually" type thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously, though. After seeing the game running on the PS4, why would you even want a PS360 version?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Uh, sorry, you are right. I forgot that we are talking about a Nintendo console.

Rhindle

Again, by your logic no one would ever make a high budget launch game. But they do, regularly. AAA console launch games tend to have very high tie ratios, and relatively long shelf lives, since new console buyers continue to buy them over a relatively long period. Plus you're investing a long-term franchise user base.

Obviously, if you can down-port relatively easily and without affecting the quality of your lead platforms, it makes sense to do so. That has not been the case in previous gen cross-overs. It may be somewhat easier this time, so we may see more cross-gen releases than in previous transitions.

Also you're making a lot of arbitrary assumptions about the game's budget. Budget is not a linear function relative to development time.

Radec

Make the versions with the best hardware first, then when finished, port it down to the weaker hardware.

Isn't that how multiplat games works ?

StuBurns

Banned
Again, by your logic no one would ever make a high budget launch game. But they do, regularly. AAA console launch games tend to have very high tie ratios, and relatively long shelf lives, since new console buyers continue to buy them over a relatively long period. Plus you're investing a long-term franchise user base.

Obviously, if you can down-port relatively easily and without affecting the quality of your lead platforms, it makes sense to do so. That has not been the case in previous gen cross-overs. It may be somewhat easier this time, so we may see more cross-gen releases than in previous transitions.

Also you're making a lot of arbitrary assumptions about the game's budget. Budget is not a linear function relative to development time.
Well firstly, no, people do not make high budget launch games, at least people other than first parties.

And this generation isn't anything like the previous ones. Cross-generational releases barely happened last time, this time, everyone is preparing to do it.

As for the budget, I'm making assumptions, although not arbitrary ones.

Black Duke

Neo Member
Here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515716

Watch Dogs is “already running” on Wii U, thanks to the porting work of Ubisoft Bucharest (Romania).

yeah...running...
1657797_o.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't see how this:

means this:

Am I missing something?

Because that's exactly what they are doing with the WiiU. Montreal develops the game and Bucarest try to make it fit for the WiiU

Was going to say. Don't think what he's saying automatically implies the 360/PS3 versions haven't been started. I think he's just saying they're developing first for next-gen, then handing off to other studios for the other versions - that process has probably already started for the PS3/360 versions, and we know Bucharest has been tasked with the Wii U version.

AzaK

Notice how WiiU's version is in development.

I wouldn't put it past him to being very sneaky with his wording. If he considers only Durango/Orbis as next-gen then saying PS3/360 hasn't started yet doesn't mean Wii U has.

You're a master of logic.

antonz

It was suggested some time ago by a source around here that Watch Dogs WiiU has its own version build wise in its own way. Same game but Its not at Durango/Orbis level obviously but its also above what PS3/360 would have

ffdgh

The big revelation is that the wiiu version actually existed before the ps360 versions...

Edit: Oh that was a mistake? Carry on then.

Busty

Banned
So I take it this means that the PS360 versions of Watch Dogs will be the equivalent of the borked early 'pseudo ports' of Modern Warfare that the Wii had?

Spiegel

It would be nice if some mod can change the title because it's very misleading.

The qoute doesn't actually say they haven't started on the other versions; and other interviews have stated they have people working on all platforms simultaniously

Was going to say. Don't think what he's saying automatically implies the 360/PS3 versions haven't been started. I think he's just saying they're developing first for next-gen, then handing off to other studios for the other versions - that process has probably already started for the PS3/360 versions, and we know Bucharest has been tasked with the Wii U version.

OP is jumping to conclusions. Unless Guillemot said something other than the quote in the post

He's only saying that WD is developed as a next gen game first by Ubi Montreal and then other Ubi studios make it fit for older hardware. It doesn't mean that these older versions haven't started development yet or that they are going to wait until development on next gen is finished to start porting the game. That's just crazy

You only have to read the actual post to come to this conclusion but people still doesn't seem to get it

miksar

The only reason they said 360/PS3 last year was because they couldn't say PS4/Xbox

It will be 'cancelled' for current gen machines soon enough.
Yeah, let's jeopardize chances of our game selling well by cutting more than 120 mln potential customers out.

Top Bottom