• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

Don't get why the title was changed, it was accurate.

"The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

The team is developing(indicates a state of presence) on high end PCs and next gen. Meaning as of right now, the next-gen/PC versions are in development. After that (meaning once development is done), other teams are looking how etc etc.

So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles.

Ubisoft is huge enough to support pretty much any platform out there. Hell, the PS1 and NCage ports of Rayman Legends are out soon.The quality of the ports is another matter.

Trine 2 is a tiny bit better, as is the case with virtually all 360 games over PS3, it doesn't stop them being 'on par', especially when the system is below it's peers with other multiplatform titles. Criterion however, I've not seen Most Wanted on U, I shall wait and see.
Trine 2 has PC content on Wii U that was deemed "too much" for the PS360 version to handle. Is that "on par"?

More than double the memory and a more modern GPU are going to have some impact. How long are you going to cling to rushed/outsourced launch ports?

What they're showing is exactly what should be expected in the first place. Better textures because of a larger pool of RAM. Identical levels of model complexity, very similar lighting solutions, give or take on other effects.

The only thing that should realistically set apart WiiU with PS3/360 visuals is better texturing. Barring some of those fixed function shaders being dedicated just to lighting solutions or something.
Trine 2 also improved it's resolution and physics engine on Wii U versus PS360. Lighting should be something that gets a percievable bump too with time/effort on U ports.

The team is developing(indicates a state of presence) on high end PCs and next gen. Meaning as of right now, the next-gen/PC versions are in development. After that (meaning once development is done), other teams are looking how etc etc.

So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles.

I think the confusion is that it inferred something that is not at all clear from the quote. The OP is suggesting that the 360/PS3 version currently don't exist at all and won't until the next-gen version is complete, and then the porting begins. However, that is not clear. It's possible that the game is simply -- as Nirolak's title change explicitly makes clear -- leading on next-gen and simultaneously being downported from that. We don't know.

At what point do you think development is done? They're only going to start the PS360 versions once the next gen versions have gone gold?

USC-fan

Banned

Well that goes against the interview they did this week where thy have a team working on each system.

StuBurns

Banned
Really? Maybe the rain/nighttime effects had a larger impression on you or something. Looked exactly the same to me.
Or maybe it was the constant hideous screentear.
Trine 2 has PC content on Wii U that was deemed "too much" for the PS360 version to handle. Is that "on par"?
I'm just going off the Digital Foundry article, Trine is not my cup of tea, I'd never play it, on any platform.
More than double the memory and a more modern GPU are going to have some impact. How long are you going to cling to rushed/outsourced launch ports?
I'm not 'clinging' to anything. If it's more advanced, cool, if it's not, too bad. I don't care at all. But I've certainly not been convinced it's better. Right now something like GoW:A is massively more impressive than anything on the U. Will it stay that way? I have no idea.

The_Lump

Banned

Don't think that was his point, dude.

Edit: I think he was pointing out that the OP claimed only next gen version in development, then being ported to current gen. WiiU version is already in development....so not lumped in with other current gen.

Not saying he's correct, but I think that's what he was implying. I'm not sure why it makes a difference to you which Ubi studio is doing it, the important bit is just that it's in development for WiiU before the "current gen" versions.

Edit2: Although that might not even be the case anyway, it seems.

I am absolutely ok with this.

I wish the BF4 team will follow the same philosophy.

BF3 was a huge downgrade for consoles (but still a good game), I don't see BF4 being any different. It was probably the first real "cross-gen" title.

AC3's outsourced ports (Bucharest on PC, Quebec on Wii U) turned out pretty well. Far Cry 3's ports weren't outsourced iirc, Montreal was in charge of all 3 versions.

My second point was a separate point. Ubisoft didn't downgrade FC3 and AC3 enough to get them on PS360, they simply released them at 25 fps with tearing. That's a terrible precedent for Watchdogs, especially now that Montreal isn't even touching the PS360 versions.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A lot of people eating crow right now.

"The game can run on current gen." lol

I expect MGS: Ground Zeroes to be the next cross gen game to have butchered versions announced.
Kind of silly to jump the gun like this. Not just because the thread premise was wrong at that point but even more so if it had in fact been true (yet, in the end it's still a complete unknown how faithful the ports are, or how good the game itself is to begin with). Especially when jumping the gun in silly ways like that works both ways just as easily. Oh look, a pure and massive AAA next gen game gets a solid port on current gen, shinier graphics and little else confirmed, WiiU to be able to keep up confirmed!

Discomurf

Wii U is Next Gen Light .

Why are people still in disbelief about this? Its silly, especially after the recent comments by Criterion on the NFS PC port.

Yonafunu

This.

Yves Guillemot literally says "At this moment the team is working on PC and next-gen versions, after that other teams will be looking at ways to bring it to current-gen."

Literally.

Why are people still in disbelief about this? Its silly, especially after the recent comments by Codemasters on the NFS PC port.

I think you mean Criterion.

Why are people still in disbelief about this?
Because we have leaks and hardware teardowns saying it isn't.

The Wii U version might run a little bit better than the PS360 counterparts, but it'll still be a massive downgrade compared to PC/PS4 no matter how you look at it.

Alexios

Yves Guillemot literally says "At this moment the team is working on PC and next-gen versions, after that other teams will be looking at ways to bring it to current-gen."

Literally.

Are looking is not literally the same thing as will be looking, no. He's saying next gen has priority on the development and after they get things how they want on that, they port down for the other systems as possible. It's an ongoing process, it doesn't hint anywhere that only after next gen Watchdogs development is complete will the other versions start being made, especially when it contradicts past information as they've vaguely discussed the different versions. Unless the quote in the OP is wrong.

I want to make something clear.

The English quote in my OT is NOT a translation. I sat next to the interviewer who played a tape of the interview to me, in English.

Ubisoft clearly says that they develop Watch Dogs on high end PCs and next gen consoles and after that will look if they can port the game to current gen.

Now perhaps Yves didn't articulate himself properly and they have current gen versions in development. But it sure as hell wasn't what he said.

The English quote in my OT is NOT a translation. I sat next to the interviewer who played a tape of the interview to me, in English.

Ubisoft clearly says that they develop Watch Dogs on high end PCs and next gen consoles and after that will look if they can port the game to current gen.

Now perhaps Yves didn't articulate himself properly and they have current gen versions in development. But it sure as hell wasn't what he said.

There you have it.

M°°nblade;48342044 said:

The Wii U version might run a little bit better than the PS360 counterparts, but it'll still be a massive downgrade compared to PC/PS4 no matter how you look at it.
No we don't the leaks and teardown didn't really answer any questions,people are just as confused probably even more now that we have die shots.

FYq7M.gif%20

THANK THE LORD! Let the current gen die! It's been around long enough! Time to put it down folks.

Alexios

Your quote in the "OT" doesn't say that, unless you wrote it wrong. Adding "will" like you do here changes the meaning.

See my post above yours.

spannicus

Watch Dogs on Wii U should be awesome if Criterions open world game says anything. Cant Wait. PC assests I'll buy that for a dollar.

I'm just going off the Digital Foundry article, Trine is not my cup of tea, I'd never play it, on any platform.
If you read the NeoGAF thread on the DF article, Joel Kinnunen (VP if Frozenbyte) chimes in and expands on it quite a bit. In fact DF updated their article with new information after that (dynamic res on PS360 specifically). DF awarded the U port technical superiority over PS360 anyway though.

It's worth pointing out that Trine 2 was in a bit of a different situation going into development though, as it had the full (original) dev team at Frozenbyte dedicated to it over 8-9 months iirc. That's a luxury I don't believe any of the other launch ports were really afforded.

And you're missing out, Trine 2's legitimately great.

I'm not 'clinging' to anything. If it's more advanced, cool, if it's not, too bad. I don't care at all. But I've certainly not been convinced it's better. Right now something like GoW:A is massively more impressive than anything on the U. Will it stay that way? I have no idea.
It is more advanced though, we know this for a fact based on the spec leaks and analysis . Given proper resources and familiarity, Wii U ports should be improved over what PS3 or 360 can manage. Which is why I brought up Frozenbyte and Criterion, as they're both examples of this already with their games.

On par ports (or indeed below par ports in some cases) on Wii U are purely a resource issue, not a technology issue.

Boom.

Spiegel

No, that quote does not mean what you think it means.

Do you expect Ubi to sit on a completed game (PS4/Durango/PC) while other teams port the game?

Do you think that ports are done in a month or what?

He is saying:
- Montreal is doing a next gen version not caring about lesser hardware
- Other teams are trying to make it fit on current gen hardware

So, in other words. The game is being developed as a next gen game first and then other teams try to make it work on PS3/360/WiiU?

kinggroin

Banned
M°°nblade;48342044 said:

I think some are just waiting to see how they'll weigh the visual downgrade versus the ability to play off screen. I don't think any sane person will believe the downgrade won't be big.

Do you expect Ubi to sit on a completed game?

1. Rayman Legends

2. Quick and dirty Wii U ports. Don't expect them to spend too much time on last gen either. They want to move on too.

No we don't the leaks and teardown didn't really answer any questions,people are just as confused probably even more now that we have die shots.
Yes, some people who were led to believe that the Wii U would be next-gen light sure are confused. Other people understands it's current-gen plus at most and expect an image quality that is much, much, much more aligned with the PS360 versions than the ones the PC and next-gen consoles will recieve.

Spiegel

1. Rayman Legends

2. Quick and dirty Wii U ports. Don't expect them to spend too much time on last gen either. They want to move on too.

Exactly, Rayman Legends shows that ports aren't done in one month

Do you seriously expect Montreal to have Watch Dogs finish development on PC/PS4/Durango next month and then start porting the game to PS3 and 360?

Anyway, I don't really care anymore. I've tried to explain this too many times already. I'm out.

USC-fan

Banned
Seeing the PC/PS4/Durango being the lead makes me smile. I'm glad the game is not being massively constrained.

That is nothing but PR nonsense about next gen are the lead platform. Montreal are not the team "porting" the ps4 version, they farm it out to the same team porting the wiiu.

Do you expect Ubi to sit on a completed game (PS4/Durango/PC) while other teams port the game?

He is saying:
- Montreal is doing a next gen version not caring about lesser hardware
- Other teams are trying to make it fit on current gen hardware

So, in other words. The game is being developed as a next gen game first and then other teams try to make it work on PS3/360/WiiU?
Montreal is not doign the PS4 version. Its the same porting team that is doing the wiiu.

pvpness

M°°nblade;48344436 said:
Yes, some people who were led to believe that the Wii U would be next-gen light sure are confused. Other people understands it's current-gen plus at most and expect an image quality that is much, much, much more aligned with the PS360 versions than the ones the PC and next-gen consoles will recieve.

This is pretty off topic, but I really enjoy that we're down to defining things like "Current-gen plus" and "Next-gen light." Bravo.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
some of you guys are really grasping at straws here... arguing over semantics, none of this really makes a difference at the end of the day, ya know? This looks like a sweet game, it's coming out on every possible platform you can own, in any way how is that a bad thing

Top Bottom