• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "We won't be showing off any Nintendo games at E3 this year"

Amped 3
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Chromehounds
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Dead Rising
Enchanted Arms
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Final Fantasy XI
Gears of War
Gun
Hitman: Blood Money
Just Cause
Kameo: Elements of Power
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Madden NFL 06
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Ninety-Nine Nights
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Prey
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Rockstar Games: Table Tennis
Saints Row
Superman Returns: The Videogame
Tetris: The Grandmaster ACE
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Godfather: The Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Tony Hawk's Project 8
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007
X-Men: The Official Game

I see about 45 games there, give or take. As far as I know there are already over 40 games available on XB1, and a similar number available on PS4.

Also, 90% of the games on that list are rubbish. Peter Jackson's King Kong? Really? That's an argument for the software during year one on 360 being more plentiful than software this gen?

This gen's software blows that list away by a mile already. I've had more fun with Battlefield (when it works) than any of the shooters on that list. Hell Titanfall is better than any shooter on that list apart from maybe Gears. Rayman Legends, Strider, Super Time Force, Resogun, Dead Rising 3, Killzone:SF and Infamous would also like a word, not to mention Forza, NFS, the Lego games, etc etc.

Software so far this gen has been the shit man, and makes year one on 360 look like consoles WERE dead back then. Hell even the struggling Wii U has SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 among other games that are better than almost everything on that list bar a title or two. There is lots of shovel ware on that list.

Anyway I'm being a total hypocrite here, saying I wouldn't derail this thread and doing so anyway. I'm going to make this my last off topic post in this thread no matter what.

Back on topic: Openrob's post did highlight one point: marketing. It seems that even when devs DO make games on Wii U they don't do anything to market them. I feel like this might be a chicken and egg scenario though. What I mean is that devs don't want to waste money on marketing because the potential customer base is so small, but that customer base isn't going to grow unless more (and successful) marketing is done.

So you have to market to sell systems and games, but you don't want to spend money on marketing if you don't think the audience is big enough. Just seems like a rock and a hard place situation for the poor Wii U.

erawsd

Receiving an email today from GAME UK made me wanna come back to this thread and discuss it.
When AAA 3rd party publishers do not work with platforms then everyone looses out - but this is not a reason to blame
1. Customers and 2. Nintendo (in this case).

Look at this email - mainly focusing on the Watch Dogs ad (because it's a Ubisoft thread).

• Notice the lack of Advertising for Wii U version.
  • Notice the PUSH of advertising for XBoxOne/PS4
  • Notice the type of Nintendo games they advertise.

Watch Dogs on WiiU has no release date. Mario Kart and Tomodachi Life are the only big retail releases for the next month( if not months)either Nintendo console.. what else would they advertise?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Receiving an email today from GAME UK made me wanna come back to this thread and discuss it.
When AAA 3rd party publishers do not work with platforms then everyone looses out - but this is not a reason to blame
1. Customers and 2. Nintendo (in this case).

Look at this email - mainly focusing on the Watch Dogs ad (because it's a Ubisoft thread).

• Notice the lack of Advertising for Wii U version.
  • Notice the PUSH of advertising for XBoxOne/PS4
  • Notice the type of Nintendo games they advertise.

j7UIS7Tqjyxa9.png

People then have the cheek to say either "Nintendo doesn't buy 3rd party games" or "They don't sell because they are not a good fit for Nintendo consoles/Nintendo is only kiddie console"

Even look at the CoD Ghosts advert further down. Clicking it takes you here; Gold stickers to anyone who can find the Wii U version. But hey - Blame Nintendo/fans for lack of sales.

I think, going back to this, one of the large problems is the mutually beneficial relationship between 3rd parties and platforms. If they tried like they do for the other consoles everyone wins! Customers are happy, Nintendo is happy and Ubi would be happy. Yeah part of that is Nintendo's relationship with them, however I am arguing against the REASONS why it's not working, because. in my opinion, it's behavior shown in the image above that causes people to think like they do.

You usually have to pay for or do some kind of deal with the retailer to get circular space my man... Like exclusive dlc or pre order bonuses or securing an end cap at the store during that flight, things like that. You wouldn't see wii u version cause it ain't comin out yet, and if Acti isn't paying BER money for CoD for that sku it wouldn't get a listing either

openrob

For those who replied to my post saying that Watch Dogs Wii U has no release date so they wouldn't advertise it.* I take that on board, however my point this that this image is symptomatic of an ongoing trend rather than a one off incident. Big multiplats never get as much exposure, sometimes none, on Wii U, but they are good at exposing the big Nintendo franchises. It is crazy on Nintendo's part though that they let that happen really.
During their 'drought' of games they had some of the biggest selling franchises release on their platform and they didn't bother to use that to their advantage.

Even if Ubi/EA/Activision weren't gonna be advertising it, Nintendo should have stepped in and supported the game for themselves. I guess their attitude at the time was that letting publishers put their games on Nintendo's platform was good enough. Foolish really.

One thing that is evident is that PS/XBox use 3rd parties to sell their consoles, Nintendo doesn't, and they are seriously suffering from it. Not just in sales, but in brand exposure and perceived value. And now it content.
So in the end people say "3rd party games don't sell well". That is right, they don't, but I think this is the reason why. People don't expect them to and treat them as such.

*Kind of proves the point really though!

StevieP

Banned
The console market will absolutely contract because there isnt another Wii that can lure in the very casual audience, This will be offset a little by the fact that both the ps4 and xbone will go own in price much quicker and we will see them at 99$ by the end of the gen. My estimate is: the 3 consoles will sell roughly 160-170 million together.
However, even if the numbers are down all 3 can be profitable on their consoles and at the end of the day, thats what all of them are going for.

Sorry my friend, but outside of the eventual long-off firesales these consoles will never be able to be cost reduced to what's required to sell them for 100 bucks. Same as their previous gen counterparts, even with tiny amounts of flash memory involved. In order to have mainstream interest (to sell large enough numbers to reach anywhere near those 160 million you propose in a half decade lifespan), though, you need to have software that goes beyond the young male demographic.

For those who replied to my post saying that Watch Dogs Wii U has no release date so they wouldn't advertise it.* I take that on board, however my point this that this image is symptomatic of an ongoing trend rather than a one off incident. Big multiplats never get as much exposure, sometimes none, on Wii U, but they are good at exposing the big Nintendo franchises. It is crazy on Nintendo's part though that they let that happen really.
During their 'drought' of games they had some of the biggest selling franchises release on their platform and they didn't bother to use that to their advantage.

Even if Ubi/EA/Activision weren't gonna be advertising it, Nintendo should have stepped in and supported the game for themselves. I guess their attitude at the time was that letting publishers put their games on Nintendo's platform was good enough. Foolish really.

One thing that is evident is that PS/XBox use 3rd parties to sell their consoles, Nintendo doesn't, and they are seriously suffering from it. Not just in sales, but in brand exposure and perceived value. And now it content.
So in the end people say "3rd party games don't sell well". That is right, they don't, but I think this is the reason why. People don't expect them to and treat them as such.

*Kind of proves the point really though!

During launch Nintendo was offering a whole bunch of incentives to publishers, including marketing dollars. Why do you think any ports came at all?

Top Bottom