• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's games get a lot of flak, and some of it is a bit exaggerated

Far cry 2 had some great elements and it was superior to modern far cries but it's open world lacked vareity and it's enemies were especially dumb. There was no way to stealth, and the outposts got repopulated every few minutes really taking away any rewarding progression.
The enemy A.I. is the smartest you'll find in any game up this point only rivaled by F.E.A.R, Killzone 2 and The Last of Us 1/especially Part 2.

The fact that stealth is extremely hard is partially what makes the game impressive. I began playing the game in 2007 when it launched and it took me until 2022 and a youtube video of someone else playing the game to explain the stealth to me. You have to wait until night time for stealth and use suppressed weapons plus the machete. The enemies have much lower line of sight at night and less awareness, some of them will even sleep. I never knew this because I would skip the night time with safe house bed.

The open world had more variety and than any Far Cry game after it. Jungles, desert savannah and cities, how much more could they add? The constant enemy encounters also caused you to pay attention at all times and plan your routes to the next destination accordingly, something which new games don't make you do. You can be a drooling idiot and play Far Cry 6 unscathed for the most part.

The game also wasn't bloated. The only real side missions were assassinating people and blowing up the convoys for extra guns and equipment. When you explored you cleared outposts and found diamonds, again, for better gear. The missions were awesome and there was actually some player agency that came with picking which side you preferred. Which is something that Far Cry 4 did and it's why it's the better of the new games overall imo (FC3 - FC6), though FC3's map and first half of the game with Vaas were awesome.

But no other open world shooter has even rivaled all of FC2's systems combined, even other open world games in general don't to some extent.

Last edited:
Far cry 2 had some great elements and it was superior to modern far cries but it's open world lacked vareity and it's enemies were especially dumb. There was no way to stealth, and the outposts got repopulated every few minutes really taking away any rewarding progression.

Thats what happened to me in FC6. I cleared ot an outpost.....theres 3 I have to search for the tobacco stuff. I realized on the map it tells me I still havent burned all of it so I go back 1 minute later and the outpost was repopulated with all the soldiers and truck...thats when I uninstalled.

nkarafo

Anyway, the moral of the story is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the Ubisoft formula itself and it can work for anyone, provided that you find a game with that special hook that will reel you in.

If i was the test subject, this theory would be proven false.

Case in point: The Egyptian theme is one of my favorites in videogames and one of the reasons i absolutely love most games from Croteam (Serious Sam, Talos). With this in mind, Ass Creed Origins should have been the dream game for me. Yet, i got so bored of it halfway through, i couldn't stand it. This game made me realize that you do need something more than just a good setting in a videogame, to keep you playing. And this game had nothing else for me. I really don't like the developer's style of gameplay and presentation of whatever story they have.

It's almost the same case with all Ubisoft games for me. They look good, they feel like i'm going to enjoy them but they are all bore me to sleep.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I wish ubisoft would remake this.

Snr9sLh.jpg

Or at least release it for modern platforms. I have fond memories of playing this on my dreamcast.

samoilaaa

my only complaint is that the story/characters are very bland , its like its made by AI , the voice actors sound like they have no emotions , combined with clunky animations and i just cant get immersed in the story

AREYOUOKAY?

I wish ubisoft would remake this.

Snr9sLh.jpg

Or at least release it for modern platforms. I have fond memories of playing this on my dreamcast.
You'll want to ask Sting Entertainment who developed the game then. Lucky for you the company is still around and have remade / ported older games before.

BSAEMQY.gif

Or SNK if you want the Neogeo Pocket Color version.

Last edited:
Most AC, WD, and FC Ubisoft games are essentially a single player version of an MMORPG. Once someone realizes this they can set their expectations accordingly.

They honestly just need to lower the amount of hours needed for playthroughs and I think people would be less critical of them.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I put in a ton of hours in Odyssey and I'm still not done with the main story.
Well, strap in, then. I only just finished it recently and it took me about 200 hours, lol. Now, granted, by the time I reached 200 hours, I already visited pretty much all of the regions, completed a lot of the sidequests, and cleared out both the cultist tree and the mercenary tier list. But still, that was probably one of the longest single-player games that I've ever played, and I haven't even touched the DLC yet.

And trust me, you really want to kill all of the cultists if you want to reach the actual conclusion to the story. But the game won't tell you that. The main story will just kinda peter out at one point and you'll be left with an impression that this is it, no more story. You'll know when it happens so just keep going after that.

Hudo

I genuinely enjoy the Far Cry games, formulaic though they be. *shrug*

I just wish Ubi would stop trying to tell "serious" stories in any of their games, because their writing is absolutely awful, even among the written-by-committee, paint-by-numbers, corporatized, sanitized AAA studios. Assassin's Creed especially is consistently soured by their awful characterization and scenario writing. Honestly, the way the Assassins go on makes me root for the Templars at times.
I'd wish you could have a full-on campaign siding with Pagan Min in Far Cry 4.

The "secret" ending in that game is my canon ending.

I feel like there's a big divide between people who think that games should be mechanically interesting, or fun, for more-or-less the majority of the time that a game is played, and people who think it's okay for a game to not do that if the story is well-presented. At least with regards to the majority of Ubisoft games, the Ass Creeds and derivatives.

Personally I'm just sick of playing games that aren't about being games. Ubi at least put out those decent Rayman games not long ago, but now it's just a stream of diahhrea. I hope the new Prince of Persia is at least a real game

Last edited:

supersale88

Neo Member
There are three franchises from Ubi that I love. Prince of Persia, Rayman and Mario+ Rabbits and two of them are on life suport.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Agreed OP. I recently started playing through Far Cry 4 for the first time and I am really enjoying it. But the last Far Cry or Ubisoft game I played was Far Cry 3... probably 6 years ago.

I definitely agree with the thoughts of other posters here... I think it's a situation of "familiarity breeds contempt". For people that play 1 or 2 Ubisoft games a year, I could see those folks coming to not enjoy how similar they feel... they do all feel very similar in their core design.

But the core design is solid, and all the Ubisoft games I have played are well made. Far Cry 4 is incredibly polished... I am playing an unpatched version on Xbox Series X with FPS boost. It's been super smooth and relatively bug free.

After playing Far Cry 4, I am really looking forward to Avatar Frontiers of Pandora.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Agreed OP. I recently started playing through Far Cry 4 for the first time and I am really enjoying it. But the last Far Cry or Ubisoft game I played was Far Cry 3... probably 6 years ago.

I definitely agree with the thoughts of other posters here... I think it's a situation of "familiarity breeds contempt". For people that play 1 or 2 Ubisoft games a year, I could see those folks coming to not enjoy how similar they feel... they do all feel very similar in their core design.

But the core design is solid, and all the Ubisoft games I have played are well made. Far Cry 4 is incredibly polished... I am playing an unpatched version on Xbox Series X with FPS boost. It's been super smooth and relatively bug free.

After playing Far Cry 4, I am really looking forward to Avatar Frontiers of Pandora.
Yeah, I don't even particularly like Avatar movies but I'm probably gonna check out the game when it's on sale, just because of how good it looks.

I'm still more hyped for Star Wars Outlaws, though. That thing is gonna be lit. A truly open world Star Wars game with that kind of production values and high quality visuals is what I always dreamed about.

GymWolf

I honestly enjoyed far cry primal more than any recent far cry since 3.

At least it tried different mechanics and locations.

RickMasters

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey was like going on a vacation, I love the beautiful scenery and clear water with tons of life.

But it could’ve been stripped from all that is AC and just called it Odyssey and it would’ve been a better game.

Wouldn’t have sold as much though so I understand them shoehorning AC into whatever new thing they want to do. It’s a wonder they didn’t turn Skull and Bones into Assassin’s Creed Skull and Bones.
Id say the same about origins. I thought it was a beautiful representation of what ancient egypt looked like too. they are descent games in isolation. and the attention to historic details is pretty damn cool in my eyes. I think I tolerate rehashed Ubi ideas because they do craft the game worlds themselves beautifully, imho. the games aint bad....just.... over-familiar, perhaps.

I didnt bother much with watchdogs or the division. R6: seige is fun for a few rounds though. GR:wildlands was good too, espcially as a relaxing co-op shooter to play with friends. I havent played the last few far cry games. riders republic is worth having if only because we get so few extreme snow sports games these days. Its actually kinds fun and relaxing. immortals fenyx rising is in my backlog. Ill probaly like it once I actually get round to it. I was sold on the art style and the gameplay vids..plus I got it in a sale on xbox.

Ive never liked the crew. Forza horizon is more my thing. and its far better.

upcoming UBi games that have my attention:

2.5D prince of persia
Xdefiant..... ?....Im still not convinced its a COD killer, but we'll see how it pans out and if it can stand out. MP shooters live and die when they go live.

Sybrix

The problem is Ubisoft fucked itself.

Ubisoft 2002 to 2012 is gold

Ubisoft 2021 to present is hot garbage

They didn’t innovate, they changed nothing, re-hashed the same formulae across a variety of their games. They also lost a lot of credibility with Watch Dogs and AC Unity fiascos.

And the one game that is Ubisoft; the franchise that gave them the edge is no where to be seen and MIA for far too long now…. Splinter Cell.

Until Splinter Cell comes back, Ubisoft can get fucked.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Im haven't played an Ubisoft game for a while but decided to try Far Cry 6 on ps5 psplus ... and I can see why I stop playing their games... is all so bloated , the game asks you to do so much unnecessary shit that looses all credibility and just pulls you off, the game play is generic and shallow as it can and the graphics are serviceable at best

Dont know if Im going to finish it to be honest but im trying to ignore all the bullshit and play through the main missions

Drizzlehell

Banned
Im haven't played an Ubisoft game for a while but decided to try Far Cry 6 on ps5 psplus ... and I can see why I stop playing their games... is all so bloated , the game asks you to do so much unnecessary shit that looses all credibility and just pulls you off, the game play is generic and shallow as it can and the graphics are serviceable at best

Dont know if Im going to finish it to be honest but im trying to ignore all the bullshit and play through the main missions
It's not about the main missions, it's about the shit you blow up along the way...

buenoblue

I love the new assassin's creeds, far cry and fenyx. The tech and graphics they can pump out on these machines is amazing. I always think if these games came out from a different studio people would be saying they were great 🤷‍♂️

Laptop1991

I like the Assassin's Creed games and i do play them quite a bit and a couple of Far Cry games aswell, its their drm software Ubisoft Connect that irritates me more.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I like the Assassin's Creed games and i do play them quite a bit and a couple of Far Cry games aswell, its their drm software Ubisoft Connect that irritates me more.
Pretty much the only reason I'm avoiding PC versions of their games. There's so much unnecessary bullshit you have to jump through these days that it instantly puts me off from playing the game.

Batiman

Banned
Well they’re not that bad. It is true they do get a lot of undeserving hate though, and games that copy almost the same formula get praised.

Laptop1991

Pretty much the only reason I'm avoiding PC versions of their games. There's so much unnecessary bullshit you have to jump through these days that it instantly puts me off from playing the game.
Yep, i have to turn the overlay off to stop any stuttering, Valhalla plays great once i did that, and they have locked people out of their games they bought and owned, even if they bought them 10 years ago by dropping older OS support, and they use Connect to do it, and you shouldn't need it if a game is already on Steam as well, its awful

Shut0wen

Ac is decent, much preferred origins and obysessey, but valhalla is just incredibly boring, watchdog legion was poor, division isnt my thing and far cry has declined rapidly since far cry 3, avatar looks decent mario + rabbids is pretty under rated but so far everyone of the triple A titles in the last 3 years have been incredibly poor, ubi imo need to make more IPs, also they fucked up ghost recon, at this point i wouldnt even want a GRAW3 at this point

Codes 208

I personally think the flak for every asscreed having the same gameplay loop as an annual release (up to unity) was justified. It was basically ubisoft’s call of duty

JCK75

I want to enjoy the division and AC but I just can't get into them.
I love the Farcry Series
I've been a huge Clancy game fan since Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear/Ravenshield , Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell but I really don't like where those franchises have gone in recent years.

I'm in a middle ground with Ubi.. they don't need to have their own launcher and they need to drop it..
But it will only take one really amazing game for them to win me back.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The first Mario+Rabbids game was surprisingly good, and at first I only begrudgingly tried it since my wife bought it for our son... I probably would have vetoed if I'd been at the store with her, so this is a case that proves I'm probably too preemptively harsh towards anything with Ubisoft's name on it.

I think the main problem for me is that the gameplay loop often feels like a check-list. At least that was the case with the most recent AC game I played.

Get quest, the exact location where you need to go is marked on your map, go to location, kill enemy, get new mark on your map, go to location, finish quest. Repeat for next quest.

In most cases you can skip all dialogue/text and finish the quests just fine. You don’t have to think.

At a point I was just thinking “why am I wasting my time on this” and quit.

I truly hate quest markers, they're the antithesis of what makes open worlds enjoyable.

I love seeing games try other things--one example would be the somewhat rough small-studio game The Sinking City, where it never gave you markers for anything... characters just spoke generally about where something was, using street names and/or landmarks, and you had to use your traditional map of the city to try and find it.

BOTW/TOTK also do a great job with having a lot of hidden things that live off the grid of a normal quest-marker structure... even though they sadly also have some missions that do use it.

GymWolf

The enemy A.I. is the smartest you'll find in any game up this point only rivaled by F.E.A.R, Killzone 2 and The Last of Us 1/especially Part 2.

The fact that stealth is extremely hard is partially what makes the game impressive. I began playing the game in 2007 when it launched and it took me until 2022 and a youtube video of someone else playing the game to explain the stealth to me. You have to wait until night time for stealth and use suppressed weapons plus the machete. The enemies have much lower line of sight at night and less awareness, some of them will even sleep. I never knew this because I would skip the night time with safe house bed.

The open world had more variety and than any Far Cry game after it. Jungles, desert savannah and cities, how much more could they add? The constant enemy encounters also caused you to pay attention at all times and plan your routes to the next destination accordingly, something which new games don't make you do. You can be a drooling idiot and play Far Cry 6 unscathed for the most part.

The game also wasn't bloated. The only real side missions were assassinating people and blowing up the convoys for extra guns and equipment. When you explored you cleared outposts and found diamonds, again, for better gear. The missions were awesome and there was actually some player agency that came with picking which side you preferred. Which is something that Far Cry 4 did and it's why it's the better of the new games overall imo (FC3 - FC6), though FC3's map and first half of the game with Vaas were awesome.

But no other open world shooter has even rivaled all of FC2's systems combined, even other open world games in general don't to some extent.
Is there any video on yt to see this smart ia in fc2?

Because i really don't remember anything from that game ia wise that was close to your other examples, also ia in far cry games is usually dogshit.

But it has been a while since i played that game.

Is there any video on yt to see this smart ia in fc2?

Because i really don't remember anything from that game ia wise that was close to your other examples, also ia in far cry games is usually dogshit.

But it has been a while since i played that game.

This guy made what is probably the most comprehensive video on the game that's out there so far. He goes over pretty much every aspect of the game.

This video seems to explore the stealth aspect of the game. According to one person in the comments, the machete is actually impossible to make a stealth kill with.

Edit: And yes I agree with you. The A.I. in Far Cry was completely redone for Far Cry 3 and onward and is absolutely terrible in comparison. I highly suggest going back and playing it with the New Dunia + Realism Mod if you're on PC.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

The main problem with Ubisoft is that they make the games they think people want instead of the games they want to make.

Every time they let their team some creativity we get something good.

Kupfer

This guy made what is probably the most comprehensive video on the game that's out there so far. He goes over pretty much every aspect of the game.

This video seems to explore the stealth aspect of the game. According to one person in the comments, the machete is actually impossible to make a stealth kill with.

Edit: And yes I agree with you. The A.I. in Far Cry was completely redone for Far Cry 3 and onward and is absolutely terrible in comparison. I highly suggest going back and playing it with the New Dunia + Realism Mod if you're on PC.

Wow you really made me want to play FC2 again. The last time I played it was on my 360 around its' release and I don't know why I stopped playing it.
Maybe it's a nice experience on the Deck today, on the other hand I swore not to let Ubisoft see any of my money again ... Mmmh what is the most dubious key reseller from whose sales the publisher gets the least? :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:
Wow you really made me want to play FC2 again. The last time I played it was on my 360 around its' release and I don't know why I stopped playing it.
Maybe it's a nice experience on the Deck today, on the other hand I swore not to let Ubisoft see any of my money again ... Mmmh what is the most dubious key reseller from whose sales the publisher gets the least? :messenger_downcast_sweat:
It's probably so much fun playing this on a steam deck. GoG is a good site right? Or CD Keys.

But yea definitely play this game again. It's so worth your time and it makes many new games seem like shit.

Top Bottom