• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP is right, the super pixellated version looked like enlarged sprites of a 320x200 resolution game, while the original game was 800x600 (or 1024x768? I'm not sure).

Hatchtag

Banned
Pokemon R/S/E, 2013:
V4pscfj.jpg

Pokemon OR/AS, 2014, same hardware:
vqqd8my.jpg

With all of the Ubisoft shenanigans the last couple years, I've started to become somewhat angry at them. But for some reason I can only laugh at this. There is no depth they that will not sink to if it means another shiny nickel for Yves.

Guri

And somehow I am not sure if I want Beyond Good & Evil 2 anymore. At least not from current Ubisoft.

Vizzeh

Banned
I think this is illegal, in the UK.

Marketing and advertising: the law

"Advertising to consumers
The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

including false or deceptive messages
leaving out important information
using aggressive sales techniques
Read ‘The consumer protection from unfair trading regulations’ for the rules on advertising legally."

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

Gurish

They are officially the dirtiest most scummy company in this industry, EA are angels compared to them. Yuck.

Is there a story behind this? What game is it from?

It's a massive bullshot, but the biggest thing of all was the Lens Flare, which was supposed to be a big deal back then (it was a rare effect at the time), until people realized the flare in that shot was identical to the Photoshop preset "Lens Flare" effect.

Edit: The game is Amped for the Xbox, sorry.

whitehawk

Banned
Is there a story behind this? What game is it from?

It's a massive bullshot, but the biggest thing of all was the Lens Flare, which was supposed to be a big deal back then (it was a rare effect at the time), until people realized the flare in that shot was identical to the Photoshop preset "Lens Flare" effect.

Game is Amped

edit: stealth edit!

Dinjooh

To put it simply:

fJ3KR6M.jpg

To be honest, the HD remaster just looks like someone went nuts with the smudge tool in photoshop.

Wolfie5

Thought it looked worse than I remember playing it. What a crappy move... still buying it. Guess I am part of the problem.

Can't help it, it's one of my favourite game of all time and I really wanted this on iPad. I would have bought it even if it was a straight port.

walnuts

The really want to win the award of the worst company of the year in the gaming industry. No one will steal that award from them.

Ubisoft seriously has a management problem.

They continue to treat their customers like we are all dumb asses and who have to implicitly believe everything they tell us.

Handy Fake

Good Lord, this company.

This year has just been a succession of facepalms. I'm going to christen it "Ubisoft Concussion".

cameron

I don't want to believe it, but there it is.

ND should use drakeface when advertising the improvements to the inevitable Uncharted: Master Thief Collection.

To put it simply:

fJ3KR6M.jpg

To be honest, the HD remaster just looks like someone went nuts with the smudge tool in photoshop.

The original titan looks like he's holding a lightning bolt. The new one looks like he's holding a fucking light saber....

Also, I agree, this practice is disgusting.

Where did they even get those "before" character models? Did they take the actual models and deliberately make them look worse?

I didn't think I could possibly think any more lowly of Ubisoft, but if they're actively taking images and making them look worse for the sake of marketing...I don't even know how to respond to that. That can't be true. NO ONE CAN BE THAT SCUMMY.

Takao

Banned
We see this often with HD re-releases. Publishers will throw their old stuff under the bus so you buy what's new.

Durante

Where did they even get those "before" character models? Did they take the actual models and deliberately make them look worse?
That's clearly exactly what they did.

We see this often with HD re-releases. Publishers will throw their old stuff under the bus so you buy what's new.
True, but never to this extent.

How can this be allowed even?
I don't know about hte US, but in many countries it's not.

Capcom did this with Okami and it really bugged me, though the HD version of Okami was actually a really, really great improvement.

Haha! I figured some kid just photoshopped the lens flare in the image...I guess I wasn't far off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom