• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwells

To put it simply:

fJ3KR6M.jpg

To be honest, the HD remaster just looks like someone went nuts with the smudge tool in photoshop.

Great work, perfectly scaled, simple, and to the point. In this case I think the original actually looks better. Certainly sharper.

Someone get this to the gaming media - I'd say it makes for a decent story. Who am I kidding, they'll never cover this.

Damaniel

Banned
Looks to me like they've scaled the original sprites (which were probably rendered at a much lower resolution - like 640x480) to match the height of the new sprites (which are presumably running at a much higher resolution). Somewhat slimy (and kind of deceptive), but I don't think there's a huge conspiracy to make 'classic' HOMM3 to look so bad compared to the new one.

(But then again, we are talking Ubisoft here. I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.)

EDIT: Never mind. The non-Ubi scaled comparison shots are pretty damning.

Vizzeh

Banned
Great work, perfectly scaled, simple, and to the point. In this case I think the original actually looks better. Certainly sharper.

Someone get this to the gaming media - I'd say it makes for a decent story. Who am I kidding, they'll never cover this.

Youtubers will... Gaming media ie proper journalism does not exist to the form it should, for the most part most major outlets are merely Advertising arms :D

I tried to find pics and failed but didn't Capcom just do this with the Resident Evil Remake as well? I'm pretty sure they showed comparisons to the GC original that were way worse than reality.

d1rtn4p

Man...So over AAA publishers these days. Now Bethesda just needs to turn Fallout 4 into a mess, and my disownership will be complete.

FyreWulff

I tried to find pics and failed but didn't Capcom just do this with the Resident Evil Remake as well? I'm pretty sure they showed comparisons to the GC original that were way worse than reality.

Whole bunch of companies have been doing this with a whole bunch of games.

The only way to catch it is if you're familiar with the original game, which is probably why it doesn't get pointed out that much.

nasos_333

But it has next gen blur effects :)

I think this is the difference they want us to "focus on", lol

Makonero

Wow. This company. And to think I used to think Ubi was one of the good guys (Ignorable shovelware games excluded).

Those ignorable shovelware games should've given you a hint. P.F. Magic's Petz series was really awesome when I was a kid.

RIP P.F. Magic.

todahawk

jesus christ ubi's making it hard to buy this. it's so stupid, they don't need to do this shit, especially for this game.

Ubi pls stahp.

This is hilarious. If Ubisoft put as much effort into making good games, rather than trying to bullshit their fans, Ubisoft would the best in the industry.

One time I was waiting at a Jack in the Box Drive Through in Oakland and a guy who was clearly like 50 and on hard drugs came up to my window and showed me his community college ID where he was like 20 and healthy and he was like 'give me some money, I'm in college.'

Ubisoft is like that guy.

Kalor

Ubisoft aren't the first people to do it. I think I remember Capcom doing it for the Okami HD Release but I could be wrong.

JaseMath

Not defending Ubi, but could it have maybe looked like that on lowest settings? I'm assuming it's a PC game (not a PC gamer) and I'm playing devil's advocate.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
We had GAFfers doing This yesterday to inexplicably justify Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 looking like a "generational leap". So don't be so harsh on Ubisoft.

From Reddit:

Okay no. Please stop this. I hate the shit ubisoft has been pulling to. But does that we mean we have to spread lies and misinformation? The ads are comparing the new and old overworld sprites not battle sprites.

Is that true? I know the overworld sprites didn't look as good as battle sprites, so that might hold some truth.

nasos_333

Oh lord, it actually LOST detail in the transition

I think the pixelated one is derived from the new blurry model directly and not from the old one. Notice the blue dot and aura in the lightning, vs the old that has none

Also the shape looks close to the new one, they just pixelated them and presented as the "bad old look" lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is that true? I know the overworld sprites didn't look as good as battle sprites, so that might hold some truth.

That would make a lot more sense.

However, you can only really show so much detail given how far out the overworld is zoomed. I don't see how increasing the resolution to this degree wouldn't just scale it right back down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom