• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobaka770

Banned
Just adding to the point, this is how old version looks on my PC in Full HD (stretched):

bhCp8Ax.png

NXEu996.png

imgur.com has some compression, but compared to remaster, it's day and night.

Nothing about this HD Edition's exciting me now. It's not complete, the HD sprites are just different compared to the slightly-lower-resolution originals, and it's going to be overpriced compared to HoMMIII + Heroes Chronicles on GOG. Besides, I'd rather play HoMMIV for pretty visuals (music's up for debate).

What is the source of this image?

I can't seem to find it on any official Ubisoft source.

This was taken from their video of them repainting the hydra:

The "before" image doesn't show the same pixelated sprite.

I can't find the OP image either. It's not on any of the Ubi pages, Facebooks or Twitter channels. I could only find them on some russian and polish sites, usually in the comments.

Datapack

Banned
Nothing about this HD Edition's exciting me now. It's not complete, the HD sprites are just different compared to the slightly-lower-resolution originals, and it's going to be overpriced compared to HoMMIII + Heroes Chronicles on GOG. Besides, I'd rather play HoMMIV for pretty visuals (music's up for debate).

Heroes 4s soundtrack is by far the best in the series.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What is the source of this image?

I can't seem to find it on any official Ubisoft source.

This was taken from their video of them repainting the hydra:

The "before" image doesn't show the same pixelated sprite.

Good point!

From here it seems: http://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=89344

And they also talk about the video, which again looks nothing like the image sheet. Maybe people were a bit quick to jump on Ubi on this? Seems like skewed reporting.

Ubisoft are officially gross as fuck at this point. The only thing they could do to "get me back" is actually make beyond good & evil 2. But then again, it would probably be overflowing with micro transactions, mandatory online, and some $30 season pass to experience the whole story.

Good point!

From here it seems: http://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=89344

And they also talk about the video, which again looks nothing like the image sheet. Maybe people were a bit quick to jump on Ubi on this? Seems like skewed reporting.

Hmmmmm. So nobody can track down that comparison image to an official Ubisoft source or announcement?

I know they deserve a lot of the shit they get slung at them, but maybe they aren't in the wrong here?

Looks like overworld sprite on battle background as it has been mentioned.

That dragon sprite at least isn't just a up-res smoothed version of the old sprite like the 1st pic.

This is literally the videogame equivalent of infomercials that make everyday tasks seem like they're the worst struggle of your life. Like those "HD glasses" commercials that make regular glasses seem like they're actually smeared in vaseline.

Hey if it works and is allowed for any other goods, then why not videogames, right?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What the fuck is this? So the "HD" graphics are just the original sprites with a smoothing filter and higher contrast?

Ubisoft seems really determined to win that "worst company in America" award.

OryoN

Man, how did Ubisoft sunk this damn low? They came out of the GCN/PS2/XBOX generation with considerable momentum after delivering a number of solid games.

They completely squandered all that during they last gen. They bigger they became, the more disgraceful they got. Now - as they are at an all-time low - they are finding ways to stoop lower still. Da'faq! Seems like they are jealous over EA's "worst company in USA" achievements. Gotta chase that dream too!

What the fuck is this? So the "HD" graphics are just the original sprites with a smoothing filter and higher contrast?

Ubisoft seems really determined to win that "worst company in America" award.
On their website it seems the sprites are just repainted. I will say they looks nice, but man is the first ad still very deceiving.
Edit: I think it is because they are taking a sprite, making it bigger (which makes it worse quality), and then repaint it.
The before is very deceiving because they should have used the original sprite vs HD.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This can't be real. What is the source of the original image? I don't want to defend Ubisoft but is there real proof that the comparison image from the OP comes from them?

LOL @ all the parody pics though, good stuff. The FFVII one especially XD

FFVII PS4
uloAiQf.jpg

FFVII PSone
uloAiQf.jpg

Wait, I think I screwed up...
Too soon, man. Too soon.

Also, this thread has made me want to pick this remaster up when it comes out. I never played the original, and it looks really fun. I'm guessing it helped inspire Battle for Wesnoth? It looks similar, at least.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How does Ubisoft go from releasing cool shit like FarCry 3 Blood Dragon, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rayman Legends, to putting garbage moves like this?

VodevilX

Banned
Ubi being Ubisoft as usual. I still can't wait for the game mostly due to online play.

That's it! Multiplayer is heavy on this one! Yet still don't get why not complete.... Also no word on legacy fan map support. So it is yet to be seen how much will this one suck.

as spotted by Knurek, thought it deserved its own thread

this is how they're saying heroes of might and magic III looked to make the HD improvement seem that much more significant

447969210.jpg

uhhh what

edit: how the original HOMM3 really looked like

fJ3KR6M.jpg

I wonder if it was the same artist who created both the new models and the fake old models? That would be a depressing job. "Your new works not good enough make the old stuff look shitter to compensate."

nkarafo

I never thought i would say this but... I'm starting to feel sorry for Ubisoft actually. I mean, i'm sure that plenty of innocent people are working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom