• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

You won't believe the bullshit Acti is pulling now. Just found these press pics for COD:AW. Sickening.

PS4/XBO

PS3/360

I know for a fact the PS360 version had better smoke effects.

PS3 version has way better weapons, story and level design though.

Persona 4 (Playstation 2)
qMDzXQd.png

Persona 4 Golden (Playstation Vita)
3rzUuiZ.png

Never thought I'd get to post this again

I love it XD

This is wrong. As far as I could tell when this originally showed up on reddit was that Ubisoft never actually said that's how bad it looked.

Ooooh, all right. So, as much as it pains me, I have to at least somewhat defend Ubisoft here - if you look at the black dragon or archangel in that image and compare it to the advert, it's clear that they are comparing apples to apples - they're comparing the map sprites of the original to the map sprites from the remaster.

It's confusing, though, because they put the sprites on the battle backgrounds. And I mean, they obviously used this comparison because it would look better in the ad. But they're not outright lying.

This is wrong. As far as I could tell when this originally showed up on reddit was that Ubisoft never actually said that's how bad it looked.
It's obvious what the image it implying. To suggest that it's not saying "hey these low-res sprites were from the original!" is incredibly silly.

Acccent

Maybe the OP should be updated to explain that the only thing wrong with the ad is the background used? I mean, obviously that would ruin the fun of shitting on Ubisoft, I'd understand if people were reluctant to acknowledge what actually happened!

So... did HOMM3 HD edition ever become good? According to Steam reviews it has performance problems, is missing content, etc. Always wanted to try an old school HOMM game, and 3 seems like the most-recommended one...

Tagyhag

So... did HOMM3 HD edition ever become good? According to Steam reviews it has performance problems, is missing content, etc. Always wanted to try an old school HOMM game, and 3 seems like the most-recommended one...

Get the Complete Edition on GOG, download the HD mod, and then have an awesome time.

Afterwards, download WoG when you want a bigger challenge.

Since my first time seeing the OP image was in that new "Classic bullshots" thread, I'm wondering if someone asked for context and this thread was linked.

I dunno, sometimes when that happens, I don't focus on the dates.

to be fair i dont think they were trying to fool anyone with this... its more of an effect that looked cool for the trailer... not last gen then poof remaster. more likeit goes from fuzzy to crisp... iono... does anyone honestly think they were trying to fool anyone with this?

My problem with posts like these is it feeds into bias. Square was just using an effect but Ubisoft is the big bad wolf tying to deceive people? I don't buy it.

Edit: Damn this thread is old why even bother now.

ramparter

Banned
What a necrobump... and not a fun necrobump where someone disproves an entire thread, but the really sad kind where someone held a personal grudge against a single post in an unrelated thread for no reason.

OK sorry for the necro but I didn't hold anything. I just found this thread linked on the yesterday bullshots thread. Didn't not intend to offend the original poster, it was a good joke after all. Peace :)

EvB

On some level I admire the audacity of Ubisoft.

This is an old thread.... like a year old.

Also, the threadstarter didn't point out that the Ubisoft was comparing sprites from the world map, whereas the cynical meme starter found a sprite from a different part of the game where it was higher resolution, then upscaled it not using nearest neighbour scaling to hide any pixelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom