• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs trademark abandonment request was fradulent

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

of course it going to be called

Watched U Dog

a WiiU exclusive

image.php

kick51

Banned
Well, possibility #1 is that everything is cancelled and Ubisoft is selling themselves to China to make F2P MMO shooters for the internet cafe market.

Possibility #2 is that this is some sort of technicality with the trademark that will be resolved without impacting the game.

i'm sticking to "creative viral campaign"

MormaPope

Banned
Watch Dogs gets renamed to Assassins Creed V.

ACIV gets a sequel, Assassins Creed Blood Sail.

Two Assassin Creed games in one year.

Well, possibility #1 is that everything is cancelled and Ubisoft is selling themselves to China to make F2P MMO shooters for the internet cafe market.

Possibility #2 is that this is some sort of technicality with the trademark that will be resolved without impacting the game. I would suspect they're either trademarking the name as Watchdogs or actually trying to put the stylized _ in the trademark. Or this was a filing error altogether.

logic and reasoning? what the hell is this?

kinggroin

Banned

Possibility #2 is that this is some sort of technicality with the trademark that will be resolved without impacting the game. I would suspect they're either trademarking the name as Watchdogs or actually trying to put the stylized _ in the trademark. Or this was a filing error altogether.

I count three possibilities

Quentyn

As a positive, this actually might lead Ubisoft to confirm that the game still exists, at least for some platforms. They had problems with that lately.

Jonboy

I've never seen a game just totally lose mindshare faster than Watch Dogs. Everyone was in an absolute frenzy after its initial E3 reveal. I'm right there too. Was totally pumped after its reveal and now I keep forgetting it even exists (maybe it doesn't? lol).

It's Assassin's Creed V now.

This is what I'm expecting. Modern day AssCreed... it also explains why Ubi wouldn't comment on the Watch Dogs listing disappearing for Wii U.

Watch Dogs gets renamed to Assassins Creed V.

ACIV gets a sequel, Assassins Creed Blood Sail.

Two Assassin Creed games in one year.

There were talks about Ubi splitting the pirate type games from the mainline... this would be one way to do it.

kmax

Nothing to worry about here. That title was probably a candidate until they settled for the game's current title.

I'd be more worried if they abandoned "WATCH_DOGS"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing to worry about here. That title was probably a candidate until they settled for the game's current title.

I'd be more worried if they abandoned "WATCH_DOGS"
Can't abandon something that's never been trademarked in the first place, as mentioned before.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can actually believe the Assassin's Creed V idea. In reality though, it's probably just an error.

I suspect it's #2, this stuff happens from time to time. Hell, New Jersey Transit, one of the largest commuter train lines in America let its trademark lapse last week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It was "abandoned" late on Friday.

Much like other trademarks, it will presumably be renewed again in a few days.

Huh. They got to the allowance stage - as it was filed as intent-to-use, they needed to submit a statement of use - which indicates that they are using that mark.

Normally, if you aren't using a mark yet at this stage, you file for an extension (which is almost always granted) but since they straight up abandoned this application...also they apparently had their agent write to request abandonment. Which is strange since an extension was just granted for the statement of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom