• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs trademark abandonment request was fradulent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing Ubi...it'll probably be Tom Clancy Presents Assassins Creed 5: Watch Dogs...they might try to work the words Splinter Cell in there somewhere as well

HeelPower

So that is Altair in the centre after all

ffxvbanner.jpg

yup that was the secret all these years.

rvy

Banned
I wonder which parts of the game are made by the b-level teams? Hopefully not the present-day parts, that would pretty much ruin the entire game.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Please, don't let this be cancelled on all platforms! This was the next game I was looking forward to, since Diablo 3 for PS4 doesn't have a date and Destiny is in Sept ;_;

Please, don't let this be cancelled on all platforms! This was the next game I was looking forward to, since Diablo 3 for PS4 doesn't have a date and Destiny is in Sept ;_;

Ubisoft has dumped a ridiculous amount of money into it so far...cancellation is NOT an option. Rebranding? Maybe. Re-filing trademark later? Perhaps.

But cancellation is out of the question.

Patryn

So... wtf is going on here. I paid the game off on Amazon, but now I am thinking of trying to get the money pulled off the game and onto something else.

You can't pay off games on Amazon. Amazon doesn't charge you until the game ships?

3bdelilah

Banned
Hell, I'd much rather have it renamed Assassin's Creed if WD's gameplay feels a lot like other Ubisoft games. And judging from the different kinds of gameplay footage they published, it has a lot of similarities gameplay wise. So: I'm down with AC V: {insert Watch Dogs/Chicago/or what not subtitle}. I'd rather have one huge franchise than a few smaller franchises who do a lot of the game mechanics the same.

The real question is why you would do that for a game that is still far out?

No, the real question is "Doesn't he realize Amazon doesn't charge for pre-orders until they ship?"

Unless of course he used an Amazon gift card or something, in which case why aren't you spending that money on more imminent things!

Whompa

What...sooo name change or something? Watch Dogs was a perfectly fine name, if that's the case.

What are they doing? Wtf happened?

The other thing that seems flatly absurd to me about this "it's being rebranded to assassin's creed!" theory is the idea that somehow they could release this as ACV -- as if they don't already have 27 teams composed of 1100 people working on 7 continents working on that game and a reveal coming in the next six weeks.

Get your "It's Nothing" GIFs ready.

but if you look at my chart where i've plotted the connections between ubisoft's registration of the abstergo industries trademark and the phases of the moon you will find that

The other thing that seems flatly absurd to me about this "it's being rebranded to assassin's creed!" theory is the idea that somehow they could release this as ACV -- as if they don't already have 27 teams composed of 1100 people working on 7 continents working on that game and a reveal coming in the next six weeks.

Yup. Ubisoft Pompei gotta eat.

Polymath

Neo Member
No way the game can be cancelled at this stage. Most likely it's going to be trademarked under the name "Watch_Dogs", like most people here suggest.

McLovin

Oh my god, what if... what if they turned it into an AC game? And... the watch dogs part is the modern day part?
Joking aside watch dogs was a terrible name. They probably came up with something better.

So what's the big idea Ubisoft? This title had the most hype going into launch before it got delayed, and now you're rebranding it? I hope this doesn't turn into "The How to Guide for Killing a New IP."

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
brb trademarking 'watch dogs'
Lol good luck. No way an examiner is going to let another tm through for games with watch dogs if Ubi already has watch_dogs already under prosecution.

It might have been they got some people who wanted to oppose this variation and they said fuck it, we still got underscore or maybe they just weren't going to use regular watch dogs.

Guys gotta stop over reacting to tms for games.

Leb

Honestly, I'm surprised that what could reasonably be assumed to be an administrative error ONLY spawned a 10 page thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom