• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape

Banned
kazministerpck7w.png

lol!

Gartooth

The fuck is happening to this industry? We're supposed to be heading into a new generation and now talent is bleeding at the biggest developers left and right. Makes me a hell of a lot more skeptical about the future output of these studios, and at Sony as a whole.

I think Sony saw that alot of products weren't on track and they held certain people accountable for that depending on their role. They expanded these studios to very large sizes and I think we are seeing that what happens in this industry is that large studios are very hard to keep on track. I've always held a hunch (no more than that) that maybe team sizes are getting too big to manage properly. Until somethings change this gen, this may be the norm everywhere as almost everyone now has teams much larger than last gen. Japan certainly had a hard time managing teams at last gens sizes when those expanded and I think now the West is having the same issue.

Corpsepyre

Banned
What in the fuck is going on at ND? WHY can't they announce that someone has JOINED the company? Are there people joining Sony even? I really hope the next piece of news is an announcement detailing the future of Uncharted 4 and who is going to lead the project going forward.

Capella

Is this normal after a new generation. How many people left Naughty Dog after the PS2/Jak series?
Yes? I don't know how many people left ND after PS2/Jak or early in the PS3 era but we know ND devs left to go join Ready at Dawn. Dan Avery was creative director and left sometime after the first Uncharted released to join RAD. I wouldn't be surprised if many also left around that time too.

I get that the circumstances of Justin Richmond leaving are different since he was working along side Amy but...he doesn't seem to be leaving on bad terms.

Isn't Uncharted slated for this Fall? Seems a little late to be hiring new blood now.
No date or year has been announced for Uncharted. I think they already are hiring and I don't think it necessarily has to be for Uncharted.

Theories:

1. Sony told their 1st parties that they would be getting less production money, so those studios had to make cuts and/or salary cut ultimatums. This all being a result of Kaz cutting back on the overhead to save Sony as a company.

2. These people who are leaving have been colluding privately about starting up a new developer house together.

3. Egos vs. Egos.

4. They left Naughty Dog to get paid more elsewhere or have a better opportunity to advance.

My theory is that Naughty Dog has been so successful that the top of the company is basically rigid because it has seen such monumental success over the last 7 years. Therefore, people have to leave in order to be promoted.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Maybe he didn't care for the idea of old Drake hiding in a lead-lined fridge to survive a nuclear explosion. Not to mention it ending with aliens...

fade_

After The Last Of Us, maybe Druckman & co wanted to take Uncharted in a more serious direction.

Or maybe they are trying to push a cookie cutter half assed game that doesn't fit their vision to get it out in time for Christmas?

RedAssedApe

Banned
What in the fuck is going on at ND? WHY can't they announce that someone has JOINED the company? Are there people joining Sony even? I really hope the next piece of news is an announcement detailing the future of Uncharted 4 and who is going to lead the project going forward.

corrine yu. game will be pretty :p

LTWood12

I'm not one to read into things too much, but even I have to admit the number of people leaving 'lead' or 'director' positions at Sony WWS over the past six to eight weeks is more than likely NOT a coincidence.

TheTwelve

Argh...

Here's my guess at this point:

The style of the Uncharted series has been challenged by those who want it to look and play more like The Last of Us, and the opponents to this latter idea are jumping ship.

This is my fear, because I enjoyed Uncharted 2 10000% more than The Last of Us.

Nev

Banned
A few months ago, the fact that he was going to be the director of Uncharted 4 was terrible news, today, the fact that he's leaving means Naughty Dog is doomed.

He did a subpar job with Uncharted 3, it was leagues away from Druckmann and Straley's Uncharted 2, both in single and multiplayer (even though he destroyed Uncharted 2 multiplayer and nearly ruins U3's multiplayer basing it in his "preferred style of play" of running and gunning without aiming) so this is fantastic news for Uncharted 4 if anything.

I truly wonder what is going on behind-closed-doors at Sony. Sales are great and shit, but people are quitting and being laid-off left and right.

Its confusing.

Maybe there was something to those theories of UC4 being set in Olden tymes, and it's since been squished and rebooted as a regular cover shooter sequel?
#wildspeculation

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is this normal after a new generation. How many people left Naughty Dog after the PS2/Jak series?

It's just strange that they left in the middle of a project. A bag of money and solidarity with Amy probably led to this.

I know they made the second team so people wouldn't get burnt out working on one game, but those people stuck on Uncharted may be just that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hmm. My guess is that there was a conflict of interest in channelling the old ones, Druckmann and Straley desiring to speak tongue with the dead by evoking the nameless black, Richmond and Hennig preferring the ancient talisman's energy be put towards the deciphering the riddles of foresight. Unfortunately the prophecy requires four chosen souls to bridge our world with theirs, and because of their differences they all end up losing. Perhaps for the best, for the true will of the old ones is impossible to grasp with limited cognitive power of a mere human bound by flesh and mortality.

Based on the limited information available, that is my theory. I suspect there may also be a fifth chosen one that has yet to reveal themselves.

The idea that Straley and Druckmann have replaced Hennig and Richmond as leads on Uncharted 4 seems very plausible now.
I tried to see if either of them had hinted at this in any official capacity. Found this tweet somewhat interesting. Could very well be nothing, but it would be a little odd for Straley to tell the Uncharted 4 lead game designer to get back to work if he had no involvement in the project.

impact

Banned
No date or year has been announced for Uncharted. I think they already are hiring and I don't think it necessarily has to be for Uncharted.

I really hope Sony has more than just The Order for their fall exclusive lineup. E3 can't come soon enough.

I don't think this has anything to do with restructuring. Seems more like professional conflict at ND.

You can claim there's something going on at sony internally, because we can speculate a lot about what's going on. Internal conflicts, restructuring, layoffs because of poor planning, less platforms to support, we can find quite a few reasons to discuss, more media awareness, you name it.

However, I was making a joke at your post a few days ago about how you claimed that people leaving Sony was because they were having trouble maintaining their 1st party studios.

whoszed

What the fuck is going on over at ND? Now I'm getting a bit worried to be honest, as this isn't just a singular incident anymore, more like a trend of key people leaving

ItIsOkBro

This will continue to happen until Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley are the only ones remaining. Then, they will engage in a battle of grand proportions to force the other out, leaving the one true Naughty God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom