• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 144: Lightweight Title - Edgar vs. Bendo - 2.25 - Dancing On The Corpse's Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

parasight

Great card. Really happy Bendo won. Under the 10 point system I had him winning 3 rounds to 2, but in reality he was in control for almost the entire fight. Edgar's punches had little to no effect on Bendo. Bendo had more effective shots, and I think the body kicks took a toll on Frankie as the fight went on. I'm down for a Pettis/Bendo rematch, the first one was 2010 FOTY.

tass0

Banned
The funny thing is, if Mark Hunt wins one more time, he'd probably be back in the Top 10 again, and it'd be entirely from UFC wins.

Heel

I think Frankie will have good power at 145. He has the speed to keep up with them, too.

Bendo walked through some really clean shots that would put a lot of guys down.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Awesome card! Watched it with the homies, so I didn't get to do my picks.

Anyway, I love Frankie and Benson too much to pick one so I just let the picks slide lol.

Man at that Barbarian comeback! He took advice to heart on being aggressive. Been a fan since his thrashing and clubbing of David Heath.

Sick ko's tonight, and finishes. Totally worth it.

Oh yeah I had Benson winning too on the main event, thought mizugaki got screwed, and a lot of guys going to get cut I'm sure. Looking at you kid, and cantwell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe some shitty banned poster can get unbanned again, so you can clown on him and actually make another funny post.(been a long time.)

wow, testy. i don't even know what you're talking about or who you are but ok

but seriously war jesus bro im wit u

AiTM

Banned
The reason why the fight is remotely controversial is because point fighting in the UFC has become so pervasive that if you score fights from that perspective Frankie probably did win. If you don't follow the sport all that closely you probably won't know what I mean.

Fights should be scored by damage and violence, but that doesn't always secure you the decision.

This is very true, and why compu-strike numbers are deceiving. You can just look at the fighters usually and see who did more damage, damage is what fights should be won and lost on, being that is the entire point of a fight. Who gives the most damage. Not who puts a guy on the ground most or who touchs a guy with his fist more.

But then again judging damage is hard. Some guys have a stronger chin and can take more, and some guys don't cut or show signs of damage.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Just back from the bar. I put down Edgar via decision and was slightly disappointed he lost (if only because if Edgar won via decision the bar would have paid my bill.) Then again there was no emotional involvement from my part and Edgar's face told the full story. Dat upkick.

Boetsch's comeback is right up there with Kongo vs. Barry. That was incredible.

I feel that Mark Hunt really needs a bit of a push here. The chances of him ever being champion are extremely slim, but I'd like to see him elevated a little bit. Give him Carwin, or make him Antonio Silva's first fight in the UFC and I'd be happy. At his age you can't waste him on the Mitriones or Barrys. As for Kongo, give him to Roy Nelson or Stefan Struve.

All in all it was a good show. I don't see Ben Henderson still being champion in a year's time, but that's purely because of the godlike talent pool in the Lightweight division.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It looks like Dana will make Bendo/Pettis 2. He was like 75% committed to it.

Goodness I just caught myself typing "to" instead of 2. I'm calling it a night.

AiTM

Banned
Also Frankie can say whatever he wants, but size is the reason he lost tonight. He needs to accept 145 already.

This is very true, and why compu-strike numbers are deceiving. You can just look at the fighters usually and see who did more damage, damage is what fights should be won and lost on, being that is the entire point of a fight. Who gives the most damage. Not who puts a guy on the ground most or who touchs a guy with his fist more.

But then again judging damage is hard. Some guys have a stronger chin and can take more, and some guys don't cut or show signs of damage.
But some guys just don't bruise or cut.

I ended the night with 430 points?! Are you f/ing kidding me? Well, there goes 2nd place for me. :(

EDIT: Joe Lauzon had a good tweet last night ...

joelauzon: I'm in Japan for a few more days and was gonna look at buying a sword, but I think I'm gonna invest in a helmet instead

Novid

Banned
This card despite the big losses by the Japanese fighers and Rampage - exceeded expectations. I dont think they got 20,000 legit. But this was a very diffrent Japanese audiance - the kind that needs something new - when everything else has pretty much failed because of lack of forsight and will.

Say what you will about Dana - hes another Vince. Hes Brash. Doesnt understand a lot. But what he has is will. I come from a animation industry who needs more Dana's and less Saban's/Al Kahns (even though at one time i believed that Mr Kahn was like Dana but much older) Funi's and Crunchyroll's. The only org he ever truly respected was Pride and he went OUT of his way to make it feel like it was a diffrent sort of Pride, that took the stars of Pride and its narrative and promoted the Gaijin around it. Sort of like what Toonami did for CN way back when with North American action animation and its narrative in order to promote the Anime.

I thought the over pandering by Goldie and Rogan was kitch at times - but it remided me how successful UFC has been - It almost felt some what Otakuish to me when they talked about Dream, Shooto, Pride - which was not bad but kinda felt out of place at times. I stated some posts back that people forget that there is a Mainstream Japanese Youth not Otaku or Yakkrii that wants american product and UFC gave them a show.

I just hope everybody who is a serious fan of this sport (and to extention, animation, pro entertaiment and business in general) take a look what Dana has done. This is what Im talking about when i say these things. These folks took Narratives which everybody can use - and successfuly got a show that was great. That takes steel balls and iron will. Nobody in the other industries have that because they are lead by ad men and shareholders who see what weaker men are doing and copying from them. And you want a great example, take a look at Disney's promotion of John Carter. You telling me Nick and Cartoon Network are copying from these SONS of BITCHES?

JB1981

Also Frankie can say whatever he wants, but size is the reason he lost tonight. He needs to accept 145 already.

Frankie threw Henderson around. Strength didn't seem to be the problem. Henderson is just a more dynamic and athletic fighter. And Frankie got careless when Henderson got him with the up kick. Henderson was on his ass kicking up because Frankie put him there.

ShaneB

Just finished watching the event, for the most part a pretty fantastic card.

That Pettis head kick was fantastic. I love Lauzon, but I was glad to see Pettis win, really would love Pettis/Henderson rematch sometime.

Picked Bartimous to win, but that was a pretty great fight by Hioki, great wrestling and some terrific scrambling.

That comeback by Boestch! Incredible, those uppercuts were brutal.

The Shields/Sexiama fight was fairly boring. Shields has god awful stand-up. He looks so robotic and just plain awkward, can't argue with the decision win, thought he won as well.

Mark Hunt!!! Why the hell did I pick Kongo. Kongo is on Struve level of entertaining crumples.

Extremely glad I switched my Rampage pick to Bader after Rampage missed weight. Not a bad fight, knowing any second Rampage could end it makes it still a tense fight. That Slam was great though, lucky Bader didn't fuck up his arm, that looked gruesome.

Henderson vs Edgar. What an awesome battle. I sadly had the results spoiled, so that pissed me off, but still, entertaining fight. Can these guys give cardio advice to every other fighter? They could've gone 3 or 4 more rounds it seemed. The nickname Smooth is just perfect, I love this guy and his style, everything just flows so naturally for Benson. Edgar was an absolute mess from the damage to his face, but his heart and will should make anyone a fan. That upkick was the turning point, and I saw it coming a mile away, when he was down I knew Frankie should've played it safe and stood him back up, but he dove in and ate that brutal upkick.

Great card, and I loved the Japan crowd, Rogan mentioned how quiet they were, appreciating the sport and every little aspect, that was great to see.

edit: Also, sherdog seems broken (shocking), but looks like I ended up with 660 points for the event. Not bad.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, no rampage retirement talk? surprised there was no post fight interview - did he just bail out immediately?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Gonna say it right now: Ben Henderson has the most perfect male physique I've seen on a fighter. I might be biased since I'm his size... but man, if I could look like that.

TheNatural

My Member!
Stomach is a puree mix of acidic ooze and pain.

Other than that I agree with the decisions and surprised to see Rampage didn't retire.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Cq9S6.jpg

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Last night was a great and interesting card of fights.

I was hoping for Rampage to win mainly because I don't like Bader, so that fight was a little disappointing but I figured it would be with Rampage coming in overweight.

Okami getting manhandled like that after dominating the first two rounds was actually not surprising to me, his movements in the octagon have always seemed awkward to me, his striking has improved but he doesn't do well with someone pressuring him like that.

Main event was very interesting, it was point fighting vs damage done, very interesting. Would love to see them fight again.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nope, turkey + avacado sandwich. And some Mountain Dew.

Did any major news come out of the post fight presser? All I saw was Pettis gets the next title shot it looks like,

damage is what fights should be won and lost on, being that is the entire point of a fight. Who gives the most damage. Not who puts a guy on the ground most or who touchs a guy with his fist more.
The word damage is not in the judging criteria at all.

Great card except for a few disappointments, but I had no expectations for Shields/Sexy or Page. So the few judo throws were cool and Page got one great slam in that would have paralyzed or killed an untrained person. That was more than I'd expected for those fights. The rest was great.

I apparently had 0 pts after losing 5 of 6 boosts, but I got my 1st rd Hunt KO, which was the one emotional pick that was likely to happen.

TheNatural

My Member!
Great card except for a few disappointments, but I had no expectations for Shields/Sexy or Page. So the few judo throws were cool and Page got one great slam in that would have paralyzed or killed an untrained person. That was more than I'd expected for those fights. The rest was great.

I apparently had 0 pts after losing 5 of 6 boosts, but I got my 1st rd Hunt KO, which was the one emotional pick that was likely to happen.

Only disappointment is it looks like it will be another bitch fest about a main event favorite crying about not winning a decision despite losing the significant striking category again.

It's at the point now that you just shut up and accept that the margin of error is so slim that these fights are impossible to call more than 50.000001% vs. 49.999999% for the winner, and if you lose, accept it like a man and adjust in the future.

Only disappointment is it looks like it will be another bitch fest about a main event favorite crying about not winning a decision despite losing the significant striking category again.

It's at the point now that you just shut up and accept that the margin of error is so slim that these fights are impossible to call more than 50.000001% vs. 49.999999% for the winner, and if you lose, accept it like a man and adjust in the future.
Oh god. While watching it my friend and I were discussing who might be winning and at the end of the 4th neither of us had any idea. Obviously Bendo was winning the Fight but who was winning on points? The decision matched what anyone unfamiliar with the point system would have picked as the winner.

Goddamn Frankie is one tough mf. He's not going to be able to make complete words when he's 40 but what a great fighter!

I'm already excited about Bendo Pettis 2. Hioki should be up next for Aldo and I will be excited for that. Hunt can do whatever he wants.

WTF happens to Yushin and Boetsch now? That was so crazy. Great comeback but makes future match ups kinda screwy. Yushin vs Leben or Nick Ring? Who does Boetsch fight next?

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm already excited about Bendo Pettis 2. Hioki should be up next for Aldo and I will be excited for that. Hunt can do whatever he wants.

WTF happens to Yushin and Boetsch now? That was so crazy. Great comeback but makes future match ups kinda screwy. Yushin vs Leben or Nick Ring? Who does Boetsch fight next?

Give him Munoz, he's not doing anything.

so, no rampage retirement talk? surprised there was no post fight interview - did he just bail out immediately?

He talked to Ariel backstage on the Fuel aftershow. He was really sad. Said he had hurt his knee in wrestling training, and couldn't do much training, but wanted to go out there and thought he could honestly win anyway...he was wrong, no excuses.

Balehead

It's cool and everything if Boetsch gets to fight better competition now, but I hope for his sake that he doesn't think he's top 5 already. Okami got sloppy and messed up, he didn't just magically step up in competition and display total destruction. Shouldn't go calling out top 5'ers cause the reality check is going to follow. Give it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom