• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

194-poster.0.jpg

Fight fans get 3 straight days of fights leading up to the grand finale with Aldo and McGregor on Saturday night. Let's check out the action packed lead in to Saturday.

Thursday Dec 10, 6:45 ET / UFC Fight Pass

uZd0zLD.png

fJNWha0.png

A night all about going from 6 to midnight.

Resident sweetheart Paige "12 Gauge" VanZant (6-1, 3-0 UFC) looks to keep her momentum going as she steps in to fight "Thug" Rose Namajunas (3-2, 1-1 UFC). Likely PVZ's toughest fight to date, let's see if Dana's little experiment doesn't crash and burn like Rousey did.

Another GAF darling in Sage Northcutt (6-0, 1-0 UFC) will put on a sophomore effort against Cody "The Pfist" Pfister (12-4-1, 1-1 UFC) after his dominating debut against 7-11 employee Francisco Trevino.

Michael Chiesa (12-2, 5-2 UFC) also makes his return to take on the always durable Jim Miller (25-6-1, 15-4-1 UFC). My vote for FOTN.

Future superstar Aljamain Sterling (11-0, 3-0 UFC) is also buried on the prelims but should put on a good show if you happen to catch him.

Friday Dec 11, 10PM ET / Fox Sports 1

PFEPQnc.png

OkmandT.png

In a matchup of the vertically challenged, the always game Frankie Edgar (19-4-1, 13-4-1 UFC) takes on the three time title challenger, Chad "Mini" Mendes (17-3, 8-3 UFC). For an awesome fight that will probably decide the #1 contender to the winner of Aldo/McGregor, it just doesn't seem to have much buzz.

Edson Barboza (16-3, 9-3 UFC) makes a swift return to the Octagon to face surging 155 pounder Tony 'El Cucuy' Ferguson (19-3, 9-1 UFC). In a fight that will certainly produce fireworks, a win by Ferguson would definitely put him near the title conversation.

Saturday Dec 12,

6:30PM ET / Fight Pass - Early Prelims
8:00PM ET / Fox Sports 1 - Prelims
10:00PM ET / PPV - Main Card

wEoT4Qb.png

3jVbnJD.png

The UFC's annual December tentpole event returns to the MGM to host one of their, if not their biggest fight in UFC history™. Superstardom purely generated with his mouth and fists, Conor "The Notorious" McGregor (19-2, 6-0 UFC) looks to take what is his by dethroning the 145 pound kingpin and P4P stalwart, Jose "Scarface" Aldo (25-1, 7-0 UFC). Conor will have a tough night ahead looking to end the run of a guy who hasn't seen defeat in nearly a decade. A fight pretty much guaranteed not to go to the judges, it has all the tools to end the year with a bang. A win by McGregor will surely send the UFC into the stratosphere while a loss will leave them in an olympic sized pool of tears. Either way, all the talking ends this weekend. Be sure to tune in to what will be an epic weigh-ins.

Shit that's not even all of it. In what is one of the most stacked cards in UFC history™, we get another elite championship fight as the co-main event despite the higher weight classes headlining historically. In a battle for middleweight supremacy, champion Chris "That's my boy" Weidman (13-0, 9-0 UFC) returns to defend his strap against ex-Strikeforce middleweight champion and top contender Luke Rockhold (14-2, 4-1 UFC). Two middleweight aces in the prime of their careers, this fight will be an excellent display of technical skill and pure desire to win.

Waiting in the waters for a shot at 185 gold are two beasts in Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (22-3 1NC, 5-0 UFC) and Yoel "No Gay Jesus" Romero (10-1, 6-0 UFC). Jacare a BJJ ace, has been finishing everyone in his path while Romero has been doing the same over the likes of Machida and Tim Kennedy. While everyone hates on Romero, he's been pulling off a steady string of victories and is still undefeated in the UFC. He looks to keep that intact as he looks to pull off a stunner by beating Jacare.

We also get to see Demian Maia (21-6, 15-6 UFC) look to keep his 3 fight win streak going against McGregor's teammate Gunnar "Gunni" Nelson (14-1-1, 5-1 UFC).

Max "Blessed" Holloway (14-3, 10-3 UFC) also looks to put his name in the 145 lbs title picture with a win over always gritty Jeremy 'Lil' Heathen" Stephens (24-11, 12-9 UFC).

Fuck, even Uriah Faber is on the prelims.

Conor TKO RD 2

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd love to see McGregor, VanZant, and Northcutt all lose, just to see the look on Dana's face.

ApharmdX

Banned
It's going to be a great week of fights. I think Nelson is going to upset Maia. Not sure about Aldo/McGregor. I think McGregor wins. Even though they are close in age Aldo has a lot more miles on him. I think that's the difference.

For an awesome fight that will probably decide the #1 contender to the winner of Aldo/McGregor, it just doesn't seem to have much buzz.

Have you ever seen a Frankie Edgar fight?

Yaari

It's going to be good. PvZ train is getting derailed by the Thug. And Rockhold is going to get rekt by the Chris.

Aldo vs McGregor will be fun.

I went to a McGregor fight at the MGM and you would have thought Jesus was in the flesh. The people went completely insane over the guy. Throughout the whole hotel there were Irishmen just stopping to chant for McGregor hours after the fight.

TxdoHawk

My 5dimes money's on Thug Rose, Pfister (long shot) and McSuperGreg. I don't even care if I lose every bet and get charged double though, because what a freakin' pile of awesome fights. I can't wait.

Heel

My 5dimes money's on Thug Rose, Pfister (long shot)

I invite you to watch UFC Embedded, in which it is revealed Sage Northcutt has been eating ground beef for breakfast since leaving the womb and Cody Pfister has oatmeal and some 3 week old wilted baby spinach.

It's those fine details that tell the informed bettor to not lay a single dollar against Sage Boogie.

CVj6oACVEAAY0VL.png:large

TxdoHawk

I invite you to watch UFC Embedded, in which it is revealed Sage Northcutt has been eating ground beef for breakfast since leaving the womb and Cody Pfister has oatmeal and some 3 week old wilted baby spinach.

It's those fine details that tell the informed bettor to not lay a single dollar against Sage Boogie.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sage is in it to win it and Pfister is going to be little more than a speed bump to his first real fight. Putting ten bucks on the Pfist is basically a Powerball-odds bet based on the fact that:

1. We haven't seen Northcutt take any real damage yet.
2. Pfister has a decent chin from what I've seen, and can potentially weather the storm.

tfur

What's the steroid status of Aldo?
Has there been hard to get tests again?
or tests at all?

Guru-Guru

Banned

God damn, he has a six pack at six years old. I'm sure it's those great genes he has, not the fact that his dad deals coke/steroids. Definitely the genetics!

Dazzler

I went to a McGregor fight at the MGM and you would have thought Jesus was in the flesh. The people went completely insane over the guy. Throughout the whole hotel there were Irishmen just stopping to chant for McGregor hours after the fight.

Irish fans are like that for every sport abroad

Yaari

Already looking forward to the press conference tomorrow. I just can't get bored of Conor baiting Aldo into shit, although I do wonder if he's still going to fall for it. He seems a little more relaxed now.

zewone

Tested twice for this fight.

McGregor explains the problem with the USADA testing is that USADA hires a rep from the country (Ireland/Brazil) to come and do the testing.

Juicing in Brazillian culture is not something that's frowned upon so a rep could easily let Aldo slide with some shady business, like the last time where they had the last guy arrested.

Him being tested twice doesn't really mean much, but it's better than nothing. USADA should send their own people to the country to do the testing right.

Weidman and McGregor are my favorite fighters, I have mad respect for Jose, the entire card is one of the best ever.

I might actually order it, that's how hyped I am.

Saskabush

McGregor has beaten a handful of cans and Mendes who took the fight on short notice. Aldo is going to destroy him easily and further derail Dana's bullshit hype train.

kamspy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVj6oACVEAAY0VL.png:large[/im][/QUOTE]

I got embarrassed on his behalf when I saw those greens. That's a bad look.

FUME5

Great weekend for fights, the pub I watch them at should be playing Fridays card, dunno about Thursdays.

Remf

Kind of want mcGreggor to win, but I just can't bet against Aldo. Dude has been so dominant for so long.

Amazing three days of fights.

Most pumped up for

Thursday:
-Paige Vanzant Vs. Rose Namajunas
-Jim Miller Vs. Michael Chiesa
-Sage Northcutt Vs. Cody Pfister
-Phillipe Nover Vs. Zubaira Tukhugov

Friday:
-Joe Lauzon Vs. Evan Dunham!!
-Frankie Edgar Vs. Chad Mendes
-Edson Barboza Vs. Tony Ferguson!

Saturday:
-Jose Aldo Vs. Conor Mcgregor!!
-Max Holloway Vs. Jeremy Stephens!!
-Chris Weidman Vs. Luke Rockhold!
-Yancy Medeiros Vs. John Makdessi!
-Ronaldo Souza Vs. Yoel Romero
-Urijah Faber Vs. Frankie Saenz
-Joe Proctor Vs. Magomed Mustafaev
~Demian Maia Vs. Gunnar Nelson

Ufc 194's card is oustanding. Let's hope it lives up to it.

Picks

UFC Fight Night Namajunas V Vanzant
Main Card:
Santos - Dec
Northcutt - TKO Rd 1
Miller - Sub Rd 3
Namajunas - Dec

The Ultimate Fighter Finale
Main Card:
Kawajiri - Dec
LaFlare - Dec
Lauzon - Sub Rd 3