• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC ON ESPN: NGANNOU VS. Velasquez

ngannou-vs-velasquez-ufc-1546844879.jpg

A heavyweight bout between former two-time UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez and former title challenger Francis Ngannou has been tabbed to serve as the event headliner.

As a result of the cancellation of UFC 233, fights between Cortney Casey and Cynthia Calvillo, James Vick and Paul Felder, Benito Lopez and Manny Bermudez and Aleksandra Albu and Emily Whitmire respectively, were rescheduled for this event.

A women's flyweight bout between former Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion Lauren Murphy and Ashlee Evans-Smith was expected to take place at the event. However on December 19, Murphy announced she will need more time off to recover from surgery and won't make it to this event. On December 20, it was reported that Andrea Lee will replace Murphy against Evans-Smith.

Main card:
x8KRCct.jpg

Prelims:
iY5fkzj.jpg

Early prelims:
7qMYAtn.jpg

Sorry for the late thread.

Looking forward to the main, hope it can go to championship rounds but I don't see it going past the 1st round.

Both have the power, but velasquez trains with DC, so has the advantage on the ground and clinch.

Ngannou has a punchers chance, and what a punch.

DKehoe

I guess the main event comes down to 2 X factors. What’s Cain like after so long off and can Ngannou land the shot? Between the two I’d tend to favour Cain.

DKehoe

Renan Barao on early prelims. Based USADA.

Oh damn, I didn’t even notice that. His fall off really has been quite remarkable.

Edit: And I just read Barao has missed weight. Things are just going from bad to worse for him.

I’m also curious to see how Kron Gracie does.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
Not really, he's got a good submission game, infact most of his wins are by sub. He's a street-fighter at heart, infact he used to roll in DADA-5000's backyard crew, but is trained in Jeet Kune Do & Jujutsu.

He does like to keep it standing though.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WTF? Velasquez destroyed. Should have taken another year off. Guy looked fat as fuck and aged 15 years. Guy looks like he's 50. And his first few punches and kicks were so awkward and sloppy. His legs gave out after a few big punches from Ngannou.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To come back against ngannou wasn't a good idea and he didn't look in great shape. Good to see a confident Ngannou.
Ya. Hasn't fought in almost 3 years and they immediately throw him with a top contender (ranked #3 according to wiki). Should have had him fight a guy in the 10-15th range. If he looks awesome, then make him move up fast up the rankings.

WIKI.............. some guy wrote he lost due to [old age]. Haha. Check it out before it's fixed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_Velasquez

JszAN7x.jpg

Last edited:

HarryKS

Cain Velasquez is a classy and brave guy but he's not a real heavyweight. He's been too clean and straight his whole career. Should drop weight classes. He's too small and pudgy.

KOMANI

KOMANI
He's an outlier.
But Cain isn’t. He was a 2 time champion, tied for most KOs, has the most takedowns. He’s just old with injuries now.
I get your point though. The same could be said about Shogun. But the truth is that theyre past their prime, they’re old(er), and have had A LOT of injuries. BJ Penn did the very same thing you’re suggesting and he couldn’t pull the trigger.

HarryKS

But Cain isn’t. He was a 2 time champion, tied for most KOs, has the most takedowns. He’s just old with injuries now.
I get your point though. The same could be said about Shogun. But the truth is that theyre past their prime, they’re old(er), and have had A LOT of injuries. BJ Penn did the very same thing you’re suggesting and he couldn’t pull the trigger.

Time does play a part. The division has progressed. Better, bigger, more skilled athletes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Time does play a part. The division has progressed. Better, bigger, more skilled athletes.
Time is important but it's not like he's 42.

The problem is he looked nothing like 3 years ago. Barely even recognize him. His head got fatter, his body had no muscle definition, and he was ghostly white. He even had some fat ripples at his gut.

He was never a big ripped guy, but even years back when he was winning, he was one of those lean strong guys, not a juicehead kind of body. But yesterday, he looked like a couch potato. His first few strike attempts missed wildly and he was off balance doing crazy kicks.

Top Bottom