• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh, I guess this is the official EGM thread now. Or something.

puebla

i believe the RE5 rumor is true since EGM has been pretty adamant about it. MS needs to start throwing some money around. you have money, USE IT.

Gigglepoo

TheJollyCorner said:
oh... and WTF is with the Rule of Rose score? :\
Oh well, it won't stop me from getting it. :)

Poor combat and gameplay.

Who cares? It's survival horror! Atlus better ship my copy soon. I'm in the mood for some scary.

sangreal

other news (to me): Kojima confirms MGS4 won't be playable this year, will be 1080p. Still deciding on Tilt features, but he likes the idea of using it to snap peoples necks

ethelred

The Square Enix DS SRPG rumor is almost certainly true. As Ami pointed it, it's incredibly specific and goes so far as to date itself for the not-so-distant future -- you're not going to say, "Hey, something's going to be announced in only a couple of months" unless you've got some solid foundations for believing that.

It's also a no-brainer. FFTA was a huge seller, so why not a new FF SRPG for the DS? Plus, Matsuno said he was working on a DS game back in 2004 and there have consistently been rumors from multiple sources saying that there was an Ogre game in development for the DS... Square Enix probably just took that after his departure, retrofitted it a bit to make it FF instead of Ogre, and finished up / polished off the game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
why not a new franchise?

so much ****ing FF13 spinoffs is so retarded. dammit SE.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ethelred said:
Who ****ing cares what the name is if the game is good?
oh I'll buy it if it's good, but it's stupid to name every new game ff13:<insert title here>

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
oh I'll buy it if it's good, but it's stupid to name every new game ff13:<insert title here>

Well, I agree. If they're going to take a formerly-Ogre game and refit it into something else, I'd rather they give it a new name, make it a new franchise. But I'm not really going to get worked up about it being brought into the Fabula Nova Crystallis umbrella, either.

sangreal

Amir0x said:
that is a damned lie. A LIE

(describe it so we'll know)

unfortunately, my EGM takes forever to get here. I only have the text of the articles from lexisnexis, but it says this:

Expect a flood of new info on Square Enix's absurdly ambitious (and goofily named) multigame Final Fantasy XIII project, Fabula Nova Crystallis, in the wake of September's Tokyo Game Show. Until then, though...this lovely new screenshot from Final Fantasy XIII will have to sate your hunger for next-gen FF.
:D

jarrod

Banned
All the rumors sound plausible at least... the Capcom one too, though I'd expect any "exclusive" talk with Sony likely happened before DR's stunning western sales perfromance... and has likely been torpedoed as a result.

More likely I see all Capcom exclusives (DMC4, MH3, DR, LP) going multi rather than set mulitplatform games (RE5) going exclusive.

FFXIII Tactics would make some sense too... it's likely what Division 4's been up to following the FFXII debacle (ie: low risk, low budget handheld R&D). The prospect of REZ 2 is rather exciting too, rail shooters were almost made for waggle. :)

Foil said:
Or perhaps, EA's ground up next gen game, is better than Kush's ugly cinemotion foggy arena breath game.

This is what I'm leaning towards. Kush is really dropping the ball on their next-gen games by just basically porting over the current-gen games. I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell Kush is doing the MLB games and not the main VC group.

It's NHL 07 and NBA 2k7 this year for me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jarrod said:
All the rumors sound plausible at least... the Capcom one too, though I'd expect any "exclusive" talk with Sony likely happened before DR's stunning western sales perfromance... and has likely been torpedoed as a result.

I'd expect DR2 to probably go multi.

More likely I see all Capcom exclusives (DMC4, MH3, DR, LP) going multi rather than set mulitplatform games (RE5) going exclusive.

I think Capcom is going to cherry pick which series go multi, I can't put my finger on why just yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
I'd expect DR2 to probably go multi.
Agreed.

DarienA said:
I think Capcom is going to cherry pick which series go multi, I can't put my finger on why just yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards.
Maybe... Capcom USA's really pushing for DMC4 360 though (day and date with PS3). I also just can't see Lost Planet and Dead Rising not hitting PS3 in some form (probably in nominally upgraded, Tecmo syled "Hardcore" releases) and Monster Hunter's premise and design seem like a perfect fit with Xbox... while I do think we'll see exclusives (JP specific PS3 games mainly), all these titles just make more sense as multiplatform I think.

Christian

- How to land a job as a designer.

Do they do an article on this every month? And I don't just mean the one-page thing at the front of the magazine... It seems like they promise a feature on "HOW TO BE A GAME MAKER!" all the time...

BuddyC

They are so spot-on with Rocket Slime. I've got a lot of love for that game, not to mention it's one of the most notable translations I've seen come out of SE in years. We're talking Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga-style puns and humor here.

Drek

No Capcom game is likely to stay exclusive unless you pay for it in some fashion. Even then you damn well better have it in writting! :lol

ethelred

BuddyC said:
They are so spot-on with Rocket Slime. I've got a lot of love for that game, not to mention it's one of the most notable translations I've seen come out of SE in years. We're talking Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga-style puns and humor here.

Awesome news. I was really, really impressed by the dialogue in the E3 demo -- really sharp, colorful, and hilarious -- and I was hoping they managed to maintain that extremely high quality throughout the rest of the game.

Symytry

At one time, EGM had class. They had style and substance. Ever since dear 'ol Ed left...the mag has slowly slid further and further down the diagnal shit slide. Their review scores are never realistic.

Two reviewers score a game a 7, and then the third one gives it a 4 or a 3.... WTF is THAT. How can anyone trust a review like that? Obviously the lowest score is from someone who didn't "get" the game; didn't want to review it; or just plain doesn't like the genre it is?

I feel bad for anyone that pays for EGM. All it can be effectively used for is asswipe. Glossy, colorful asswipe. You can sit down to take a shit while reading what little meat it has, and when you're done you can just wipe up with it.

Also I thought of a really good story for the EA Survival horror game. Why not design something around a small group of employees trying to escape from the evil incarnate that is EA? One of them could find out a horrible secret, share it with a few others and boom! bam! All hell breaks loose.

They could even have Probst as the main evil, with Shappy bringing up the rear. Toss in a few rooms with bloody barrels, meat hooks, employee names written in blood on the walls and booom bam! Instant success.

...if anything it'd be balls-y. And you never know, with something that hardcore...it just might be a hit! ...or a shit. LOL

BuddyC

ethelred said:
Awesome news. I was really, really impressed by the dialogue in the E3 demo -- really sharp, colorful, and hilarious -- and I was hoping they managed to maintain that extremely high quality throughout the rest of the game.
To be fair, I'm only a few hours in, but it hasn't let me down yet. I'll keep you updated.

Baryn

Banned
Error2k4 said:
why not a new franchise?

so much ****ing FF13 spinoffs is so retarded. dammit SE.

Error2k4 said:
The FFXIII games aren't spin-offs. They take place in the same world with different plots. By this model, each game should add another piece to the mythos.

This makes sense, because after every FF release, people clamour for a sequel. The FF worlds are so intriguing that one jaunt through isn't enough. Hopefully the universe they have created with Fabula Nova Crystallis is to that standard.

Sonki.

Banned
Foil said:
Or perhaps, EA's ground up next gen game, is better than Kush's ugly cinemotion foggy arena breath game.

Kush would have to mess up pretty bad for that to happen.

rod furlong said:
Play them for yourself. You'll see.

Have you played both?

ethelred

BuddyC said:
To be fair, I'm only a few hours in, but it hasn't let me down yet. I'll keep you updated.

Well, either way, I'm glad to hear that the quality is sustained beyond the limited E3 demo, at least. Because that was seriously impressive and made me think that if they could keep that up, we'd be looking at one of Square Enix's best translations in a really long while.

Man, this game's going to be great.

Baryn said:
The FFXIII games aren't spin-offs. They take place in the same world with different plots. By this model, each game should add another piece to the mythos.

This makes sense, because after every FF release, people clamour for a sequel. The FF worlds are so intriguing that one jaunt through isn't enough. Hopefully the universe they have created with Fabula Nova Crystallis is to that standard.

Each Fabula Nova Crystallis game takes place in a different world, though!

Himuro said:
The EGM hate in this thread is ridiculous.

Right you are.

MrDaravon

Symytry said:
At one time, EGM had class. They had style and substance. Ever since dear 'ol Ed left...the mag has slowly slid further and further down the diagnal shit slide. Their review scores are never realistic.

Two reviewers score a game a 7, and then the third one gives it a 4 or a 3.... WTF is THAT. How can anyone trust a review like that? Obviously the lowest score is from someone who didn't "get" the game; didn't want to review it; or just plain doesn't like the genre it is?

I feel bad for anyone that pays for EGM. All it can be effectively used for is asswipe. Glossy, colorful asswipe. You can sit down to take a shit while reading what little meat it has, and when you're done you can just wipe up with it.

Also I thought of a really good story for the EA Survival horror game. Why not design something around a small group of employees trying to escape from the evil incarnate that is EA? One of them could find out a horrible secret, share it with a few others and boom! bam! All hell breaks loose.

They could even have Probst as the main evil, with Shappy bringing up the rear. Toss in a few rooms with bloody barrels, meat hooks, employee names written in blood on the walls and booom bam! Instant success.

...if anything it'd be balls-y. And you never know, with something that hardcore...it just might be a hit! ...or a shit. LOL

I actually like it when reviews are really different. Usually if I'm looking to buy a game, I find really bad reviews and really good reviews to get both sides. The problem here is that there isn't nearly enough room for them to go into much detail. Honestly NO mag is really worth paying for, but I'd say EGM is still one of the better ones, it just has it's problems like all the others. More than anything I miss how ****ing small issues now compared to how they used to be.

Top Bottom