• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] £57.8 million Lotto Jackpot this Saturday. Are new rules failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

I work at a lottery retailer and hardly any of our customers have changed their numbers since the rules changed. A few did but the vast majority kept the numbers they've always played.

And everyone that comes in lately says how stupid it is that it hasn't been won in so long. A LOT of people win free lucky dips but no one is ever happy about it lol

Busty

Banned
Also, I was told that the advice from the organisers is to "sit on your jackpot win for a year". Have a holiday and pay off your debts and get your Private Healthcare sorted but generally don't start your spending until Year 2.

Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I used to jokingly tell friends that if I ever won the lottery I'd just explain away my new found wealth as a the by product of my membership of the Russian mob.

You are given 2 options if you win the jackpot.

If you decide to go public then they will provide full assistance with how to handle that amount of money and deal with begging letters etc.

If you keep it secret and then found out afterwards (you are bound to be found out as it would be easy for friends/family to tell others) you are left on your own to deal with any issues.

That seems..., horribly passive aggressive.

Human_me

I'm playing, because why not.
I only ever play once every 3-4 months.

If I win the jackpot then I'll give everyone in this thread nothing.

kiri

I work at a lottery retailer and hardly any of our customers have changed their numbers since the rules changed. A few did but the vast majority kept the numbers they've always played.

And everyone that comes in lately says how stupid it is that it hasn't been won in so long. A LOT of people win free lucky dips but no one is ever happy about it lol
Don't worry; I'll win it this Saturday and give everyone in this thread £1000 each ;)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I mainly play Euromillions these days though I might have a crack at this.

Once got 5 numbers on the standard lottery years ago on Christmas Eve for about £1700. One more number and it would have been millions. My bonus ball was one off too, which would have netted my about £150,000.

Gutted. Ruined my Christmas lol.

You won £1700! It made your Christmas!

Er yeah wut? Also this whole "Agh it was ONE off" thing, as if it works like a big wheel that just happened to tick over the number next to yours or something. Or like you were picking the bonus ball going, 1... 2.... 3... 4... 5... yeah stop at 5 no higher, then 6 comes in. That ain't how randomness works.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah when I used to play I never had a pre-picked number, I just went random every time to increase the odd.

krae_man

Wow, hardly anybody here in Canada does specific numbers. We all just get "quick picks" ie random numbers(is that what a lucky dip is?).

I picked specific numbers once when I was 18 and bought my first lotto ticket but after that it's not worth the hassle. That and if you forget and they come up...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You think that not picking numbers in the 50-59 range is preventing people from winning?

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

krae_man

You think that not picking numbers in the 50-59 range is preventing people from winning?

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Well yes and no. Their current numbers have the same odds of winning, but if there is tons of overlap in the low numbers, that will increase the chances of nobody winning.

You are better off being the only one picking 51 52 53 54 55 56 then being one of a dozen picking 1 2 3 4 5 6.

haxamin

Eh. My fantasy would be to win that amount of money and have no one know about it. Winning that amount of money and then announcing it to the world just seems like a sure fire way to irreparably ruin your life regardless of your personal wealth.

I would literally start my own secret indie studio.

Manoko

The odds are the same.

He isn't saying the odds are different.

He's saying that by picking the numbers yourself, you're unconsciously forcing yourself to continue playing, because the idea that you might stop playing, when the usual numbers you play get picked, is scary and depressing to imagine.

Picking the same numbers can be a bad idea. Lots of people have the same favourite numbers etc, and so if they win, there's more chance of it being a split prize.

There was a program on once that said quite a lot of people go with 123456, and if it ever came out the jackpot would be split many ways.

Of course, there's always the horror too of your numbers landing on the one week you forgot to buy a ticket!

Lucky dips are the best option.

openrob

You are given 2 options if you win the jackpot.

If you decide to go public then they will provide full assistance with how to handle that amount of money and deal with begging letters etc.

If you keep it secret and then found out afterwards (you are bound to be found out as it would be easy for friends/family to tell others) you are left on your own to deal with any issues.

http://blog.national-lottery.co.uk/meet-man-pays-money/#.VpBHyRWLQps

"Q: If the winners wanted anonymity instead of going public, would you still advise them?

Absolutely yes. It’s entirely the winner’s decision if they want to share news of their win. We have an aftercare programme in place to ensure that all winners have access to legal and financial advice.

It’s often the case that when a winner decides to remain anonymous, we are the only people that know about their win so we keep in touch with them for as long as they want to. Often they like to talk to someone or just let us know what they have been up to."

RedShift

If anyone is playing this pick numbers in the new number range (ie numbers above fifty)

You won't increase your chance of winning but you'll decrease you're chance of sharing the pot if you do.

I remember hearing once some of the worst possible lottery numbers to pick are 4 8 15 16 23 42 (the numbers from Lost), because so many other people pick them, so even if you won you'd get barely anything.

They rejigged it so big money rollovers like this would happen, they prize would get publicity and they would cash in on all the new or one-off players.
Its a tactic stolen from the US powerball game and so far seems to be working for them.
Most people in my office stopped playing ages ago, but everyone seems to have paid in to syndicate for the past few draws...and once the that prize is done, I'd bet people will just keep paying into the syndicate...because why not?

JoeNut

I haven't won anything since the new rules, I used to get a tenner every couple of weeks at one point.

I think they should do 50 x £1million rather than a big jackpot

Tenebrous

I play by direct debit, and have done for years. I've not been doing too badly, but since the change I've only netted £25.

I know it's a fools game, but it's such an insignificant amount of money for me and my partner that I don't really care.

diamount

Banned

Free lucky dips is essentially not winning, so why would they be happy?

Don't worry; I'll win it this Saturday and give everyone in this thread £1000 each ;)

Then begging has started already.

If you are going to only play occasionally this is a much better draw to join in with than normal. If no one gets the main numbers the prize will be split amongst the next group of winners so you chances of winning 1+ million are higher than normal.

LoveCake

At work four of us do the euro & normal, but we are going to stop the normal one after this week, we haven't won anything on it for ages now, we have done better on the euros so we are going to keep doing that, we are going to put the money that we usually spent on the normal lottery on the fixed odds football & pick our own teams, we just put in £2 each a week.

The hook is "you have to be in it to win it"

As for people saying that premium bonds are better, well they are not, I am 38 & my grand parents bought me £25's worth when I was born (1977) well a few weeks after & I have never won anything at all, about ten - fifteen years ago I put £1000 in for an emergency fund & I have never won a single penny, my dad has about £10,000 well he used to I don't know if he still does, he did win £1000 once a few years back & the odd £25 or £50 here & there.

The best thing I did was buy the maximum amount of Royal Mail shares & sold half when they had doubled in price.

The new rules have made it harder to win, Camelot saying that there are more chances to win because of the free Lucky Dip ticket are meaningless really because as the chances of wining are now so low the ticket is basically worthless, as for Richard Branson wanting to take over & have the maximum to only be One Million would make it even worse because it simply doesn't offer the attraction, because you would never be able to live the life of luxury you imagine, you could only invest it & then live off a set amount a week or month for the rest of your life, if you are young it's going to be difficult, there could be no big house or flash cars, to buy a nice house you are looking at £300k to £350k then you have to furnish it & you would want nice stuff so you would have to spend about £50k kitchen, bathroom then the rest of the rooms then the tech TV's etc, then a car or cars so most I think would go for a Range Rover sport which start at £60k then something sporty maybe a Porsche Boxster starts at £40k or a BMW 5 series or Mercedes C class which start around the £40k mark so in all you have spent half your Million already that is before paying of your parents mortgage / helping other family members or even the running costs of the 'stuff' you have bought so you would still have to work your job.

I remember a TV show where they were on about the lottery & they said that you needed to have something like £15m to be able to live a millionaire lifestyle while investing & being sensible without running out of money.

6uAm40T.gif

Lottery winners demand benefits again after spending £50k in eight months

hohoXD123

I have never played the lottery but thought fuck it. I'm probably better off burning my money now, but just wanted to try it.

jonno394

been in a syndicate for 2 and a bit years, we've won about £500 split between over that period. Nothing will change tonight!

New rules are working... for the National Lottery company.

More balls = Less chance of a jackpot match = More rollovers = Bigger jackpot prizes = More media attention = More people playing = Bigger profits for the National Lottery company at no additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom