• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - Conservatives reach confidence and supply deal with DUP

CCS

Banned
There's the election thread, but I think this is big enough to deserve its own.

Conservatives agree pact with DUP to support May government.

Quick FAQ for people:

What does confidence and supply mean?
This means that the DUP will support the government on votes of no confidence and on budgetary matters, but will otherwise decide on a case-by-case basis.

Who are the DUP?

Think of them as the Northern Irish Tea Party. Anti-gay rights, anti-abortion, anti-science, and with close ties to Unionist militias who committed acts of terror during the Troubles.

I'm both happy and sad that other people now get to suffer under the DUP like we have for years.

I'm hoping their newfound wider audience will take them down a peg or two.

Well, I hope all the more socially liberal Conservatives are ready for the ride, and I'll be fascinated to see what treats the Tories have promised the DUP in exchange for this...

Chinner

Banned
doesn't matter, the tory propaganda machine will ensure that everyone is fooled into believing this is a good thing.

CCS

Banned
Courtesy of the Independent, some of the DUP's greatest hits:

Ian Paisley Jr, son of the party’s founder Ian Paisley, has previously called homosexuality “immoral, offensive and obnoxious” and said he was “repulsed” by gays and lesbians.

The party once championed a campaign called “Save Ulster from Sodomy”.

Former DUP health minister Jim Wells told a South Down hustings in 2015: “The gay lobby is insatiable, they don’t know when enough is enough.”

The party staunchly opposes same-sex marriage, believing in what they call the “traditional” definition of the union, and has vetoed several attempts to pass new legislation.

The DUP has long opposed abortion and any attempts to liberalise the law. Ms Foster last year vowed to prevent terminations being made available in Northern Ireland.

The party once appointed climate change denier Sammy Wilson as its environment minister.

Mr Wilson said it was a “con” to suggest humans had changed weather patterns.

The party counts a number of creationists among its senior members.

DUP assembly member for West Tyrone, Thomas Buchanan, last year endorsed an event promoting creationism to be “taught in every school”.

The event included presenting “the biblical case for the sound teaching of children” that will “offer helpful practical advice on how to counter evolutionary teaching”.

DUP politician Edwin Poots has expressed his views that the planet is a “young earth” created just 4,000 years ago.

This is just the Tories buying themselves a majority at the cost of £150,000,000 a seat.
I'm interested to see if it causes knock-on funding for Wales and Scotland via the Barnett formula.

But remember, there is no magic money tree to pay nurses from.

PJV3

Repeat "national interest" whenever a Tory is really talking about their own political career.

chadskin

Well this will all end in tears.

DUP be like

Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money.gif

Tories gripping onto power by their fingernails. If anything it shows how much they'll fight to avoid another election. Gonna be a wait to see if there's a straw that breaks this camel's back. More likely they're biding their time to try and look favourable again but fat chance of that.

So Theresa May is effectively spending £1bn of taxpayer money to stay in power. Wonder where it's going to come from.

The magic money tree of course!
Cuts to things that help poor people

TyrantII

So y'all going full "American Republicans" for your conservative wing?

This is exactly the deal with the devil the GOP made after Nixon, bring in Evengelicals so they could win / retain power.

Luckily parliamentary coalitions aren't as stable as parties in the US system, and usually more independent. But you dont want the democracy destroying Goldwater Coalition plan implemented there.

Sorry we will close accident and emergency wards in hospitals, well go after single mothers, poor people with a spare room, disabled people, young people who want to go to uni.

Because there's just no money.

Unless you'll support the Tories in parliament.

In which case we can spare about £100,000,000 PER vote you give us.

Also, AUSTERITY FOR ALL. YOU get austerity! And YOU get austerity! And YOU! And YOU!

So.

Fucking.

Wrong.

There is no magic money tree to stop people from dying but there is to bribe an anti-gay, anti-science and anti-women's rights part to prop up your shambles of a government? What a country we live in

Daffy Duck

There is no magic money tree to stop people from dying but there is to bribe an anti-gay, anti-science and anti-women's rights part to prop up your shambles of a government? What a country we live in

I can only imagine the backlash the conservatives will face at the polls if another GE happens over this.

It's despicable.

To be fair, a billion isn't that much in the context of a national budget and I understand it's pretty clear that the Barnett Formula won't be affected (it has been ignored in the past when Scotland have had extra payments, or so I read). I do however take issue with the spending of public money for party political purposes. I get that this happens all the time indirectly but actually, nakedly paying over public money to prop up your party feels wrong, feels like a line has been crossed.

Jackpot

Banned
This is just gross on multiple levels.

Paying a £1 billion bribe using taxpayers money so the Tories can cling on to power.

Risking a fucking peace treaty.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain what they mean by "they bought the coalition for £1bn"?

In order to get the DUP's support, the Conservatives have guaranteed Northern Ireland about £1bn of additional funding. To put this another way, if the same amount proportionate to population was given to every other part of the UK, it would be a total expenditure of £37bn, or a 4.6% increase in the UK's state spending.

It is one of the most nakedly unashamed acts of bribery ever seen.

Maledict

So y'all going full "American Republicans" for your conservative wing?

This is exactly the deal with the devil the GOP made after Nixon, bring in Evengelicals so they could win / retain power.

Luckily parliamentary coalitions aren't as stable as parties in the US system, and usually more independent. But you dont want the democracy destroying Goldwater Coalition plan implemented there.

Sort of but not really. The views of the DUP are nonexistent on the British mainland, which is where 632 of our 650 seats come from. There isn't a constituency like the tea party in mainstream British politics, nor any chance of it becoming mainstream.

Northern Ireland is in every respect a very different place to the Uk, and it's the only place where these views have a foothold. They are as you say very similar to ultra conservative republicans from the USA, but unlike the southern strategy there's no large voting block out there to push the conservatives down this road. The national government is still talking about their homophobic bullying campaign for schools, for example.

Basically, the DUP are the fourth ship from the mayflower voyage that got lost along the way...

Nothus

To be fair, a billion isn't that much in the context of a national budget and I understand it's pretty clear that the Barnett Formula won't be affected (it has been ignored in the past when Scotland have had extra payments, or so I read). I do however take issue with the spending of public money for party political purposes. I get that this happens all the time indirectly but actually, nakedly paying over public money to prop up your party feels wrong, feels like a line has been crossed.

Exactly my thoughts too. They have literally bought MP's votes using public money. How the hell is that legal?

danowat

Banned
I mean, Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so it's not like they are sending a billion quid out of the union, but what has been cut to offer this extra money?

TeddyBoy

They told me if I voted Labour I'd get a coalition of chaos with terrorist sympathisers and that's exactly what happened!

Best joke in the thread and there's been quite a few.

It took them long enough to reach this deal, I suppose they need all the practise they can get before Brexit.

TyrantII

They are as you say very similar to ultra conservative republicans from the USA, but unlike the southern strategy there's no large voting block out there to push the conservatives down this road. The national government is still talking about their homophobic bullying campaign for schools, for example.

Basically, the DUP are the fourth ship from the mayflower voyage that got lost along the way...

I wouldn't say the Evengelicals are a large voting block in relation to the US population, but their oversized influence is due to their voting habits and the party's 40 year strategy of spreading apathy and disillusionment propaganda to the general voting public.

I don't think it'll happen over there due to structural issues, but the US is a cautionary tale of the rise of powerful minority party/coalitions and how they change the playing field to stay in power.

If you told someone in the US in the 50s that the regional Evengelicals would be a tour de force in America politics in 21st century, they laugh at you. Now they're one step away from the Presidency. Goldwater gave them a foot hold and opening in desperation, and they used it spectacularly.

Top Bottom