• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - Conservatives reach confidence and supply deal with DUP

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, he'd easily be viewed as the only adult in the room, compared to Boris, Gove or Leadsom. Stephen Crabb might run again, and Ruth Davidson is likely to support him.

If Crabb got in then we'd finally have a new bearded Prime Minister, so that'd nice.

This "Crabb" fellow needs to change his username.

The problem the Tories have is not actually leadership - there's quite a few MPs who could take over - but it's the issue of a second election, beating Corbyn, and Brexit.

The observation right now has to be that the Tories just have to last long enough with May as leader for Corbyn's popularity to flow away - the youth vote becomes less keen on him or on politics in general, or Corbyn's Brexit compromise position weakens him amongst Remain voters as B-Day looms.

Hammond et al could also just start throwing big piles of cash around and end any concept of austerity.

Yeah, he'd easily be viewed as the only adult in the room, compared to Boris, Gove or Leadsom. Stephen Crabb might run again, and Ruth Davidson is likely to support him.

If Crabb got in then we'd finally have a new bearded Prime Minister, so that'd nice.

Crabb also supports "therapeutic cures for same sex attraction" and his interns are funded by the org CARE that goes along with that shit.

He can choke on a chode.

Crabb-led Tories and the DUP would be a disaster for everyone, at least until they caused a Labour landslide victory by becoming the nastiest party in the nastiest of all possible worlds. The cantankerous overtly-christian homophobe voting bloc is fortunately dying out.

The DUP agreement is actually good for the GFA and Stormont, since it guarantees confidence and supply according to clear written commitments by the Tories (which despite their blatant bribery do not actually affect power-sharing or nationalist-unionist relations).

What would kill the GFA is if confidence and supply weren't guaranteed. The DUP would be able to bring down the government at any point, causing a 'chilling effect' on any Tory actions in NI that could harm the DUP.

The deal is still a shitty bribe, but it has at least attempted to prevent the DUP from arbitrarily bringing down the UK government if they don't support the DUP in Stormont.

kmag

Crabb-led Tories and the DUP would be a disaster for everyone, at least until they caused a Labour landslide victory by becoming the nastiest party in the nastiest of all possible worlds. The cantankerous overtly-christian homophobe voting bloc is fortunately dying out.

The DUP agreement is actually good for the GFA and Stormont, since it guarantees confidence and supply according to clear written commitments by the Tories (which despite their blatant bribery do not actually affect power-sharing or nationalist-unionist relations).

What would kill the GFA is if confidence and supply weren't guaranteed. The DUP would be able to bring down the government at any point, causing a 'chilling effect' on any Tory actions in NI that could harm the DUP.

The deal is still a shitty bribe, but it has at least attempted to prevent the DUP from arbitrarily bringing down the UK government if they don't support the DUP in Stormont.

They still can. There's nothing actually binding about a confidence and supply deal.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Are you guys forgetting that Crabb had to resign after he was caught sending sex messages to a 20 year old.

Pandy

Are you guys forgetting that Crabb had to resign after he was caught sending sex messages to a 20 year old.
Had to read that again twice.
Firstly, to double check which Crab(b) we were talking about. Secondly, to check that you'd written 20, and not 12 or something.
I do barely remember this story now (thanks to a news search), what threw me was the word 'resign'. He didn't resign from anything, did he? He just withdrew from the leadership contest because he was exposed as being a hypocritical piece of shit, and he wasn't going to win anyway.

Anyway, GAF member Crab for PM is fine by me.
Seems like a better option than most/all of the actual options, including from within Labour.
If we could get enough signatures for him on a petition, the Government has to consider debating him in the house, right?

Seems like a better option than most/all of the actual options, including from within Labour.
If we could get enough signatures for him on a petition, the Government has to consider debating him in the house, right?

A welsh? Havent you all had enough of that with Lloyd George?

Im fine with it so long as i get to be chief whip

Mr Git

If bearded means having someone who thinks homosexuality can be cured I think we'll just stick with the beardless and political pogonophobes.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Had to read that again twice.
Firstly, to double check which Crab(b) we were talking about. Secondly, to check that you'd written 20, and not 12 or something.
I do barely remember this story now (thanks to a news search), what threw me was the word 'resign'. He didn't resign from anything, did he? He just withdrew from the leadership contest because he was exposed as being a hypocritical piece of shit, and he wasn't going to win anyway.

He resigned from the cabinet over the scandal.

Pandy

He resigned from the cabinet over the scandal.
Ah! I'd didn't remember that he'd had a cabinet post, he was only ever on my radar with regard to the leadership contest, and I doubt we'll be hearing from him again in that respect.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
But this is about NI, not the ROI, every political power in NI has spoken against the deal bar the DUP and has stated they would challenge the deal legally as having violated the GFA. This is not a simple matter.

Simply wrong. The Green Party whose legal challenge you love to talk about... has 2 Assembly seats and only thanks to proportional representation. They're about as relevant as the TUV, which doesn't oppose it (obviously) and the moderate UUP, which doesn't oppose it either. The UUP has 10 seats in the Assembly (and had 2 at Westminster until this election). They're more relevant than a legal challenge with no substance.

WTF are you talking about?! SF is the third largest party in the Dail and repeatedly mentioned as potential coalition partners after recent elections in Ireland. They're far from a fringe party, boasting hundreds of thousands of members, hundreds of councillors, a third of MEP's in Ireland and nearly half of NI's Commons seats. Ridiculous attempt at underrating Sinn Fein.

I remember you... Let me put it this way:

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have 49.8% of the vote between them as of the last general election, while the third-largest party and your favourite (Sinn Fein) has 13.8%. Each of the two big parties (at the moment) have almost twice the total vote on their own.

Theonik

Simply wrong. The Green Party whose legal challenge you love to talk about... has 2 Assembly seats and only thanks to proportional representation. They're about as relevant as the TUV, which doesn't oppose it (obviously) and the moderate UUP, which doesn't oppose it either. The UUP has 10 seats in the Assembly (and had 2 at Westminster until this election). They're more relevant than a legal challenge with no substance.
Who cares how many seats they have. Alliance also spoke against he DUP deal. Since you like to talk about irrelevant metrics like the number of MPs rather than the legality of said deals between them, SF, Alliance and the Green party hold 37/90 of the seats in the NI assembly. Almost an overall majority. And that's just between these parties.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The problem the Tories have is not actually leadership - there's quite a few MPs who could take over - but it's the issue of a second election, beating Corbyn, and Brexit.

The observation right now has to be that the Tories just have to last long enough with May as leader for Corbyn's popularity to flow away - the youth vote becomes less keen on him or on politics in general, or Corbyn's Brexit compromise position weakens him amongst Remain voters as B-Day looms.

Hammond et al could also just start throwing big piles of cash around and end any concept of austerity.
One of those points definitely isn't going to happen. Corbyn's not going to be in power to preside over Brexit so any and all misgivings will be placed squarely at the conservatives. Frankly it doesn't matter what his position is he just has to act militant enough so that anyone that dislikes the outcome can paint their is interpretatiOns of him.

Brexit is the bolt reason the conservatives are in a bond right now. Theresa ha locked them in. There now way tgey'rd coming out this without kissing off a generation of voters unless negioate a hail Mary of a deal.

kmag

The main problem the Tories have with this DUP deal is illustrated in today's Times cartoon.

Anytime they cut or even don't spend on anything, the DUP bung will get flung back in their face.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Who cares how many seats they have.

Everyone.

...That's the whole point of this thread. Seats determine influence. If the Tories had enough seats for a working majority there wouldn't be this thread.

Alliance also spoke against he DUP deal. Since you like to talk about irrelevant metrics like the number of MPs rather than the legality of said deals between them, SF, Alliance and the Green party hold 37/90 of the seats in the NI assembly. Almost an overall majority. And that's just between these parties.

Alliance wants nothing to do with Sinn Fein, and their concern doesn't mean the same thing.

You seem absolutely confused, if you're going to lump parties together, it's Sinn Fein and the SDLP as nationalists, and the NI Assembly actually does work by clustering Unionists, Nationalists, and Others together.

The DUP, UUP, and TUV have 40 seats between them.

Top Bottom