• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - Conservatives reach confidence and supply deal with DUP

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looking forward to newsnight tonight.

I can't believe she'll get away with this - newspaper headlines already talking about the £1 billion handshake. Could run away from her really quickly

Burai

shitonmychest57
The most infuriating thing about why people vote Conservative is the clear hypocrisy of the opinions.

On the one hand you have them spouting the 'Tories are great with the economy' line they love, but then you have them going on about there being no money for social services etc.

It's like, don't you realise your first comment doesn't make sense? If they are so good, why is every public service underfunded?

There is enough money, it's just at the moment most money is being handled and funneled to the rich.

It's also infuriating how all you ever hear from people is "politicians don't listen, benefits are tiny, the rich get richer" and yet the party that clearly embody these notorious problems are the ones who get voted in. It's like me complaining how I can't stand child muderers and then Hire freddy kruger to babysit my kid and don't think there's a problem.

But to them there is no hypocrisy. They believe that everything is going fine, EXCEPT, those bloody undeserving migrants/scroungers/others keep taking what isn't theirs. The NHS would run perfectly if we sent the foreigners home and stopped letting benefit claimants get free boob jobs.

But to them there is no hypocrisy. They believe that everything is going fine, EXCEPT, those bloody undeserving migrants/scroungers/others keep taking what isn't theirs. The NHS would run perfectly if we sent the foreigners home and stopped letting benefit claimants get free boob jobs.
Yeah I suppose that is the issue, I always forget how little informed the population actually is.

Just gets so frustrating when you see terrible opinions and arguments formed from lies and misinformation.

Audioboxer

Pesky democratic process getting in the way of our austerity wheat overlord.

I'm not kidding you, there are comments like that on Twitter right now.

I guess it is showing the Conservative's own voter base is falling apart as they are unhappy with the deal and probably unhappy with May, but are desperately looking for a scapegoat. Corbyn!

dan2026

I just dont understand in the age of the internet how people can be so ignorant and misinformed.

It's not hard to parse out bullshit. Things that live at the bottom of the ocean could tell you the Tories are full of shit.

Mr Git

The Tories really will stoop to any subterranean level to stay in power. Grim future unless there's an imminent election.

Did Dennis Skinner just shout out "make sure that cheque doesn't bounce" after Ian Paisley Jr's arse kissing question?

Holy shit really. I love him.

I'm surprised that the DUP has managed to get this much. I would have thought that at most an informal "back us to prevent Corbyn getting a sniff of power" agreement would have been sufficient for all parties.

May is still toast, and I'm surprised she hasn't indicated that she's resigning yet.

Protome

I'm surprised that the DUP has managed to get this much. I would have thought that at most an informal "back us to prevent Corbyn getting a sniff of power" agreement would have been sufficient for all parties.

May is still toast, and I'm surprised she hasn't indicated that she's resigning yet.

It's too soon. She'll last a little longer to piece together as much as she can from the election before she stands down. She's basically being kept around to craft the knife they're going to stab her in the back with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It'a obvious what's going on May is not going anywhere for a while. Notice how next year's Queen speech has been cancelled? Notice how this deal only lasts for two years. The transparent plan is for May to deal with brexit soak up all the negative lr and then ditch her in 2 year when we may have another geneal election.

orochi91

Perhaps this alliance will have some positive influence on the DUP and they'll soften their terrible stances on those issues.

This will lead yo the DUP and Tories burning in a fire I feel. This will backfire immensely come October. Hopefully they don't do damage to social progressive laws and programs in the interim.

avaya

It's not a mystery why people vote for the Tories.

They went tax cuts and while most won't admit it, they like them attacking the welfare state. They hate the idea of less deserving people getting their hard earned taxes.

I don't think they want people to starve or die, but if that's the ultimate consequence of dismantling the welfare state, it's a necessary evil to ensuring their hard earned money isn't wasted.

Those who die didn't do enough and didn't work hard enough to make their life better, they didn't take full advantage of all the opportunities life has to offer.

This does not explain why the working class vote Tory. The working class vote Tory because they are fundamentally bigots, primarily because they are ignorant. They are easily swayed to scapegoat minorities and immigrants. It's the story in pretty much every country in the world.

Without the working class the Tories could not win a single election.

Kuraudo

Banned
This does not explain why the working class vote Tory. The working class vote Tory because they are fundamentally bigots, primarily because they are ignorant. They are easily swayed to scapegoat minorities and immigrants. It's the story in pretty much every country in the world.

They're not fundamentally bigots. If a segment of the work class holds xenophobic or racist views it's because the upper classes have successfully spread ideologemes that they have internalised.

avaya

They're not fundamentally bigots. If a segment of the work class holds xenophobic or racist views it's because the upper classes have successfully spread ideologemes that they have internalised.

Nah, I'm good with my first characterisation. I stopped making excuses for these people a long time ago.

A lot of these people don't want the NHS because what they pay right now for private health insurance is all they think they'll have to pay if the NHS were to collapse.

A new line I heard recently about the US healthcare system. Those huge bills we see online? It's all scaremongering. Healthcare isn't that expensive, people are photoshopping those bills online to create faux outrage.

I don't care about right wing voting working classes anymore. They're cheerleaders for brexit too and actively voted to remove rights from me so they don't get sympathy from me.

Kuraudo

Banned
Nah, I'm good with my first characterisation. I stopped making excuses for these people a long time ago.

Okay...but labelling an entire class as "fundamentally" something, i.e. defining them by some inherent trait, isn't a great look. People are not born with racist views. There are very well-documented systemic reasons they hold those views. Acknowledging that is not making excuses for them, but it is an important step to combatting racism.

Funnily enough that part of the UK now has power to decide what is and what isn't.

The DUP is not Northern Ireland. That's like saying the Tories are GB.

avaya

Okay...but labelling an entire class as "fundamentally" something, i.e. defining them by some inherent trait, isn't a great look. People are not born with racist views. There are very well-documented systemic reasons they hold those views. Acknowledging that is not making excuses for them, but it is an important step to combatting racism.

I did say they were ignorant and that's why they are that way. I do believe most racists are by and large that way because they are fundamentally stupid, as in they are below the median level of intelligence. So I guess I should re-label them fundamentally stupid, would be a fairer characterisation I guess.

Clarke, Soubry and Morgan. Then you will need the Scottish Tories to grow a backbone.

Um, about that...

In response, Ms Davidson said: “The Barnett formula ensures that if funding for public services goes up in England, it does across the devolved nations, if they are responsible for delivering these services. That system remains in place.

“But the UK Government has always been able to spend outside Barnett - like the city deals, which invested £500 million directly in Glasgow, £125 million in Aberdeen and £53 million in Inverness.

“Or like the £5 million for the V&A Dundee, the £5 million for the Glasgow School of Art or £5 million on regenerating Helensburgh’s waterfront.

“With its distinct politics, Northern Ireland has received this sort of special funding package before - the last one in 2015.

“It’s absurd for the SNP to criticise UK Government spending on top of Barnett in Northern Ireland when the exact same thing happens in Scotland.”

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...th-davidson-clash-over-1bn-dup-deal-1-4486951

Audioboxer

Looks like Ruth has been told to sit down and tow the line. I hope all the new Scottish Tory voters, especially Labour/SNP/Lib Dem converts are sitting enjoying this ride.

Even Dugdale has thrown some gasoline

Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale said the deal had to result in additional funding for Scotland.

”If the price of propping up this miserable Tory government is hundreds of millions of pounds for Northern Ireland, it is vital that all nations and regions of the UK also get extra funding to end austerity," Ms Dugdale said.

”If Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson has any influence in Downing Street at all, she will be demanding extra cash to reverse the spending cuts her government has inflicted on Scotland – aided and abetted by the SNP, which has simply turned Holyrood into a conveyer belt for Tory cuts.

”By attempting to secure her future by throwing money at one part of the UK, the Prime Minister's deal risks weakening the bonds that unite the UK – and shows how empty her rhetoric is about the future of the Union."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/no-money-for-scotland-as-dup-and-tories-strike-1bn-agreement-1-4486678

Scotland, Wales and yes, England, especially England, should be kicking up a storm about this deal. It's literally buying votes when the response from the Conservatives, and Ruth, is gymnastics about this being a "special funding package".

I do not begrudge the people of NI in any way at all, but the way this deal was done and the clear "politicking" going on around it.

avaya

Looks like Ruth has been told to sit down and tow the line.

Even Dugdale has thrown some gasoline

http://www.scotsman.com/news/no-money-for-scotland-as-dup-and-tories-strike-1bn-agreement-1-4486678

Scotland, Wales and yes, England, especially England, should be kicking up a storm about this deal. It's literally buying votes when the response from the Conservatives, and Ruth, is gymnastics about this being a "special funding package".

I do not begrudge the people of NI in any way at all, but the way this deal was done and the clear "politicking" going on around it.

Nah, the English Nationalists will stomach anything to get the foreigners out. Remember that. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Perhaps this alliance will have some positive influence on the DUP and they'll soften their terrible stances on those issues.

Honestly, the question is whether or not the DUP is prepared to accept the March Stormont election, or whether they would demand fresh elections before reinstating Stormont. They don't have the ability to launch a Petition of Concern on their own, and that was the only reason the gay marriage bill failed in 2015.

If Stormont resumes business without new elections, I would expect legalising gay marriage would be one of the first bills to get passed, whether the DUP likes it or not. I would also not be surprised if legalising abortion fully would follow suit.

dan2026

The one positive I can see to all this is the Tories will make themselves more and more reviled and piss off everyone to the extent that we can get rid of these monsters.

I would hope that you can only fuck over people so much before even the hardened right wingers have had enough.

My family are working class and we would rather eat shit than vote Tory.

We're also Welsh and my father was a miner during Thatcher, so there's plenty bad blood against the Tories round here.

A year ago if you'd told me I'd like Jeremy Corbyn more because the Tories bought off actual terrorists I'd have laughed my sack off.

Funny world we're living in.

Top Bottom