• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

This argument only makes sense if the tourists that line up to visit Buck Palace each get a turn to sit beside the Queen and have their picture taken with her.
It works iff there are people that visit for the sake of the Queen that wouldn't visit otherwise.

It works iff there are people that visit for the sake of the Queen that wouldn't visit otherwise.
Give me a number, Euro Disney has 13.4 million visitors a year.

If you want to count the numbers that visit the Royal residences, you will notice how low they are compared to Versailles or Neuschwannstein, which are in countries without active royalty.

Note that having an active monarchy actually prevents year long tourist opening hours at their multitude of estates.

kmag

I'm not taking a side in the argument because I really don't know (or particularly care), but this point seems weak.

Countries without a Disney land are huge tourist destinations, would you therefore argue that Disney land doesn't attract tourists?

The Royals usually aren't seen outside of relatively few public occasions. I doubt people are making trips for the express purpose of seeing a Windsor in the flesh given the chances of doing so are almost non-existent. People visit the buildings, for the history and for the pageantry. If anything in terms of directly making money the Royals get in the way by actually occupying the buildings preventing tourist access. Versailles proves that since the history isn't going anywhere, the attraction remains even when the institution does not.

Pandy

I get that there will be some people for whom that is an attraction, but given the vanishingly small chance to see the Queen outside of particular public events, I think you can safely chalk up the impact, outside those public events, as being nominal.

The potential added tourist value in being able to fully open up access to Royal sites (not to mention the value of repurposing some of them, as done with the Louvre) has to be considered as well, and I can't imagine how it wouldn't offset the lost revenue by many times over.

*Splinter

Give me a number, Euro Disney has 13.4 million visitors a year.

If you want to count the numbers that visit the Royal residences, you will notice how low they are compared to Versailles or Neuschwannstein, which are in countries without active royalty.

Note that having an active monarchy actually prevents year long tourist opening hours at their multitude of estates.
As I said, I don't know how much tourism the royal family actually generate.

If I had to guess I'd say we're probably better off without them.

I get that there will be some people for whom that is an attraction, but given the vanishingly small chance to see the Queen outside of particular public events, I think you can safely chalk up the impact, outside those public events, as being nominal.

The potential added tourist value in being able to fully open up access to Royal sites (not to mention the value of repurposing some of them, as done with the Louvre) has to be considered as well, and I can't imagine how it wouldn't offset the lost revenue by many times over.
I will agree with this, especially if (as kmag has pointed out) much of what the crown currently owns would simply be owned by the state instead.

TeddyBoy

Put me in the anti-monarchy crowd, even if they're marginally profitable, ideology I can not agree with a royal family born into affluence, wealth and titles most could barely imagine.

I'm pro-monarchy. I like have a royal family. It may just be symbolic right now, but it's a symbol I think we Brits need. The King/Queen is the face of our nature much more than any PM. We don't need a Monarchy, but culturally I think we would be poorer without them.

kmag

I'm pro-monarchy. I like have a royal family. It may just be symbolic right now, but it's a symbol I think we Brits need. The King/Queen is the face of our nature much more than any PM. We don't need a Monarchy, but culturally I think we would be poorer without them.

Yes, it seems a good number are pretty happy being subservient twats. At least they know their place. A

*Splinter

The monarchy teach us a valuable lesson.

Life ain't fair.

(I'd vote to get rid of them, but beyond that I generally don't care. I assume they're here to stay for the foreseeable future).

(I'd vote to get rid of them, but beyond that I generally don't care. I assume they're here to stay for the foreseeable future).
Likewise, they are far from the biggest problem at the moment. In fact even if they were abolished and the state seized their land, the Tories would probably just sell it off to their rich twatty friends at the next possible opportunity.

Audioboxer

Sturgeon is going to trash the indyref2 dream in 7 minutes

VC3gPtl.png

Theonik

Who could have possibly caused this to happen?
It was Walpole.
You laugh but Walpole's brutal politics all but eradicated the Tories for the better part of 7 decades removing them completely from all levels of government and ending them as an organised party by 1760.

ss1

Neo Member
Well I believe she put a pause to it. Unfortunately, IndRef2 needs to be timed right otherwise the SNP will keep losing political momentum as opponents will keep shouting their opposition whilst not having to answer their own shortcomings.

Audioboxer

It's unwinnable right now anyway.

It was never for right now! It was always in place for a bunged Brexit deal. If it truly comes off the table it will have to go through the Scottish Parliament again (I'd assume).

If she says it's just going into the background to wait on Brexit Ruth will have a shit-fit and we'll continue again with the one-note Tory campaigning up in Scotland.

Lose/lose all around. I just want to be able to vote on escaping the almost inevitable Brexit fuck up. The DUP deal will be a small insight into the Strong and Stable negotiating skills for Brexit.

The only good thing to come out of the whole GE shambles was seeing that divisive, toxic little cunt and her minions of bigots put back in their box.

Uncertain if you know what the word bigot actually means.

Acorn

It was never for right now! It was always in place for a bunged Brexit deal. If it truly comes off the table it will have to go through the Scottish Parliament again (I'd assume).

If she says it's just going into the background to wait on Brexit Ruth will have a shit-fit and we'll continue again with the one-note Tory campaigning up in Scotland.

Lose/lose all around. I just want to be able to vote on escaping the almost inevitable Brexit fuck up. The DUP deal will be a small insight into the Strong and Stable negotiating skills for Brexit.

Uncertain if you know what the word bigot actually means.

Only way to avoid brexit is emigration dude. SNP and Indy have passed their peak imo. Support will continue to slowly ebb away.

Better putting energy into emigrating than trying to fight against the current.

No, what's rich is seeing the millennial meat-heads cry about a Conservative - DUP deal when they wanted an IRA lackey to be the PM.

I guess only one side of Northern Irish politics is unacceptable to the left.

Why is it when people want to disparage a group they bring out things like "millenial meat-heads" when other times they could have a conversation or debate without getting all lazy about it?

I mean how many sources did you check before coming to the conclusion that Corbyn is/was an IRA lackey?

Mr. Sam

While calling Corbyn an IRA lackey is obviously hyperbole, he was certainly on the wrong side of history in that regard.

I could do without "toxic cunt" though.

theaface

No, what's rich is seeing the millennial meat-heads cry about a Conservative - DUP deal when they wanted an IRA lackey to be the PM.

Fuck yeah!

Everybody criticising Theresa May's weak and wobbly leadership, as if Corbyn would have been strong and stable?!

Everybody criticising the Conservative - DUP deal when voting Labour would've brought about a COALITION OF CHAOS!

Everybody criticising the Conservative's new-found magic money tree when Labour's costed manifesto shows they'd have been fiscally irresponsible!

/s

kmag

While calling Corbyn an IRA lackey is obviously hyperbole, he was certainly on the wrong side of history in that regard.

I could do without "toxic cunt" though.

Was he? I mean he could have been in government colluding with unionist death squads like the Tories.

*Splinter

Most of the DUP criticism I've seen has been regarding their backwards views on e.g. women and gay rights.

Their shitty past is only brought up to point out the hypocrisy from Tory supporters who complained about Corbyn's IRA links.

Acorn

I don't read the Daily Mail.

I was watching that twat Corbyn being the IRA's man on the mainland before you were born.

You can attempt to re-write history and deny his role all you want..but I was there.
That means you were there for the tories conspiring with unionist murderers.

Btw "i was there" means precisely nowt, it doesn't matter atall and is a piss poor argument for anything.

TimmmV

Bit rich considering that the Tories have put one side in government and spent the election period using the other to smear Corbyn

Mr. Sam

Channel 4's FactCheck has what I would describe as a balanced view on Corbyn's links with the IRA: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-on-northern-ireland

For me, the "he was brokering for peace" argument doesn't wash, as that seems to imply that he was meeting both sides, which he simply wasn't. I don't particularly like the "Well, the Tories did bad things too" argument, mainly because of the "too". Diane Abbott's explanation, that she changed her opinion like she changed her hairstyle, seems at least more honest.

Theonik

I don't read the Daily Mail.

I was watching that twat Corbyn being the IRA's man on the mainland before you were born.

You can attempt to re-write history and deny his role all you want..but I was there.
lmfao

Channel 4's FactCheck has what I would describe as a balanced view on Corbyn's links with the IRA: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-on-northern-ireland

For me, the "he was brokering for peace" argument doesn't wash, as that seems to imply that he was meeting both sides, which he simply wasn't. I don't particularly like the "Well, the Tories did bad things too" argument, mainly because of the "too". Diane Abbott's explanation, that she changed her opinion like she changed her hairstyle, seems at least more honest.
Of course there is other factors to consider here wrt to NI. In that it just Gerry Adams that had his voice literally muted on the BBC while being an MP in NI.
The concern was that the Nationalist voice was not being heard, not to listen to both sides. Thatcher's government kept back channels into the IRA at the same time.

Audioboxer

That was well handled and said by Sturgeon, but it's the way things should have been framed from the start. She made a mistake there. The snap election did do the most damage. At the end of the day, people simply need to see tangible proof/evidence of what the Brexit deal will be and how the Tories are handling it. Going in with a minority government propped up by the DUP certainly hasn't done them any favours since the election xD

It's utterly appalling both Scottish Labour and Scottish Conservatives will continue to completely ignore her remarks on fighting hard for a soft-Brexit/single market and to "get a seat" at the Brexit negotiations. The largest irony there will continue to be is if reflection on Brexit after it's concluded in Scotland is that's it's a total mess that will itself sway people's minds.

As expected Davidson will just tow the party line, but Scottish Labour/Dugdale continue to show how they're just going to be Tory-lite in Scotland. It's rather funny to watch Corbyn go all in on May/Brexit, but Dugdale veering off to "ally" with the Scottish Tories.

Well, it's not what happened, so you won't be that happy.

Only way to avoid brexit is emigration dude. SNP and Indy have passed their peak imo. Support will continue to slowly ebb away.

Better putting energy into emigrating than trying to fight against the current.

I disagree. Many people just need to see more clarity around Brexit. The election ending in a hung parliament and the resulting DUP deal will have given some food for thought about what people are voting for too. I aim that at Unionists up here who switched from Labour to Conservative especially. Dugdale behaves far too much like a Scottish Tory, but a vote for Labour was still largely a vote for Corbyn.

It does make sense for Sturgeon to roll back on the 2nd ref intensity right now, for *exactly* the same reason the Lib Dems should do the same for their own 2nd ref. Too divisive, too many people thinking "I would vote remain/yes in another referendum but I don't think we should have one now".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom