• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So when are we sending your lot to the Community Gulag?

We shall defend our current location, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the shitposts, we shall fight on the dumb arguments, we shall fight on the political cartoons and in the twitter links, we shall fight on the memes; we shall never surrender.

Zaph

So when are we sending your lot to the Community Gulag?

How about we combine UK Politics and Brexit into one off-topic thread, and you look the other way?

lxqNRln.gif

jelly

It's hard Brexit all the way. EU won't cave. Tories and Labour don't want soft Brexit, an achievable middle ground matches nothing they want. We are in or out. Depressing.

pswii60

The defeatism about Brexit in this thread is pathetic. I want Brexit to be a shitshow, I want the Tories to own it. But I'm not going to just be quiet while it happens, stick up for what you believe in for fuck's sake.

I don't want Brexit, but as Brexit seems to be happening whether we like it or not, I want it to be a massive fucking success against all the odds. Obviously. It being a shitshow (as it is already in the short term at least) is bad for everyone.

Theonik

It's hard Brexit all the way. EU won't cave. Tories and Labour don't want soft Brexit, an achievable middle ground matches nothing they want. We are in or out. Depressing.
I don't know the longer I think of it the less I think there is an achievable middleground that is in any form politically acceptable in the UK. Our current deal is actually pretty good and is unlikely we'll get any better. If people are upset about a multi-national organisation running UK affairs, no-one will sensibly accept an EEA option or anything that requires SM membership because it ties us to the 4 freedoms and comes with EU legal supremacy which we no longer have an influence over. It's basically making the Leave campaign lies a reality.

I don't want Brexit, but as Brexit seems to be happening whether we like it or not, I want it to be a massive fucking success against all the odds. Obviously. It being a shitshow (as it is already in the short term at least) is bad for everyone.

I just want to not graduate into the shittiest economy we've ever had. Think it's inevitable though.

Pls poach me Canada-GAF I are the smartest.

Acorn

We shall defend our current location, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the shitposts, we shall fight on the dumb arguments, we shall fight on the political cartoons and in the twitter links, we shall fight on the memes; we shall never surrender.
Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it, perhaps is the end of the beginning.

Acorn

The evil voice on my shoulder wants scorched earth to be the result of brexit. Then I remember how fucked a lot of people I give a shit about would be and that as a nation we run towards the right in economic crisis.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Apparently, Chuka's amendment has backfired. I've heard from Crab's super secret internal sources that even a lot of the Labour MPs who voted for it are furious with him. Zeichner felt he had to vote for it because of the marginality of his constituency and how strongly pro-Remain it was, but felt he had a strong ability to offer in the Shadow Cabinet and deeply resented having to make the choice, and is now absolutely fuming.

'We've just done much better than expected in the gernal election, perhaps we should take this opportunity while the tories are on the back foot to roll around in our own shit'

-Chuka Umunna reasoning

jelly

I don't know the longer I think of it the less I think there is an achievable middleground that is in any form politically acceptable in the UK. Our current deal is actually pretty good and is unlikely we'll get any better. If people are upset about a multi-national organisation running UK affairs, no-one will sensibly accept an EEA option or anything that requires SM membership because it ties us to the 4 freedoms and comes with EU legal supremacy which we no longer have an influence over. It's basically making the Leave campaign lies a reality.

Yeah, we had the best deal, it's gone. A soft Brexit is worse without any say in the EU which nobody will accept. We are gone or staying. No in between. The only point of the negotiations to me now is to allow people to see how shit it will be and have a last minute we don't want to leave now turnaround that more of the public back which I doubt. We are fucked.

Acorn

Yeah, we had the best deal, it's gone. A soft Brexit is worse without any say in the EU which nobody will accept. We are gone or staying. No in between. The only point of the negotiations to me now is to allow people to see how shit it will be and have a last minute we don't want to leave now turnaround that more of the public back which I doubt. We are fucked.
They won't hear how shit it will be from their news sources. Even if they do report it, it'll be under the context of "EU is being cunts to Britain".

CCS

Banned
Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the lying of the right.

I don't wanna go back to community :p

I'm not even talking about remaining in the EU, I'm talking about remaining in the single market.

I think there are about 5 people in the world who would see single market membership - and the freedom of movement that comes along with it, and the necessary regulatory abidance that it requires etc etc - as "leaving the EU". So, for all intents and purposes, staying a full member of the single market is a de facto remain position.

CCS

Banned
I think there are about 5 people in the world who would see single market membership - and the freedom of movement that comes along with it, and the necessary regulatory abidance that it requires etc etc - as "leaving the EU". So, for all intents and purposes, staying a full member of the single market is a de facto remain position.

Leaving the single market is leaving the EU. That's not even an opinion. Plus, plenty on the Leave side in the referendum promised single market access in future, so it's not like remaining in the single market wasn't presented as an option.

I'm curious how do you (not just you personally) see this playing. Tories have the government and will do the Brexit negotiations. And their negotiating position was once supported and once not contested officially by Labour.

What's the end game here? Brexit being done by Tories on their terms and Labour pretending they could have gotten a better fantasy deal despite them almost fully supporting the government on the main direction?

Some people seem convinced that there is another election pending despite the votes in the Parliament.

I was more alluding the possibility of a labour government following the next election. Though it is hard to say when that may be.

Personally, I feel that the brexit negotiations and the tory/DUP relationship will not do the tories any favours, and will further damage and fracture the party in the long run.

pswii60

Apparently, Chuka's amendment has backfired. I've heard from Crab's super secret internal sources that even a lot of the Labour MPs who voted for it are furious with him. Zeichner felt he had to vote for it because of the marginality of his constituency and how strongly pro-Remain it was, but felt he had a strong ability to offer in the Shadow Cabinet and deeply resented having to make the choice, and is now absolutely fuming.

I have no sympathy for Chuka. He had the opportunity to become leader, but couldn't take the heat from the media. As such, he has to live with the consequences.

kmag

Seems like there's 6 million of them in Norway.

Leaving the single market is leaving the EU. That's not even an opinion. Plus, plenty on the Leave side in the referendum promised single market access in future, so it's not like remaining in the single market wasn't presented as an option.

Seems like there's 6 million of them in Norway.

I think you're both sticking to a technicality. Yeah, they aren't technically members of the EU. But how many people - and remember, my guess is a solid 5 - do you think went to the voting booth and thought "Well, I like the single market, I like freedom of movement, I like EU regulations but what I really hate is the fact we have MEPs - I'm voting out!"

Theonik

I think you're both sticking to a technicality. Yeah, they aren't technically members of the EU. But how many people - and remember, my guess is a solid 5 - do you think went to the voting booth and thought "Well, I like the single market, I like freedom of movement, I like EU regulations but what I really hate is the fact we have MEPs - I'm voting out!"
Yeah people keep saying about leavers not being a megablock and I'm sure, many of them probably supported freedom of movement, but similarly I don't think most remainers went in that booth thinking 'I like the EU! I have no problems to simply let the EU govern this country. We send UKIP MEPs anyway'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom