• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know why Primark is called Primark in the UK but Penney's in Ireland. Wikipedia told me it was first Penney's and started in Ireland but not why it's different.

I know some other companies have different names too, like Walkers/Lays; but why?

TCRS

Banned
Ideally your job hunt should begin while you're at uni. I made the mistake of not looking for work while I was at uni and now I'm fucking nowhere.

Clegg

Does anybody know why Primark is called Primark in the UK but Penney's in Ireland. Wikipedia told me it was first Penney's and started in Ireland but not why it's different.

I know some other companies have different names too, like Walkers/Lays; but why?

Another example is Magners cider. It's Magners in Britain but Bulmers in Ireland.

You may have Bulmers in Britain too but it's definitely the same drink.

TCRS

Banned
I was watching a movie on netflix and now it has crashed. Can't connect to the servers. Fuck it, was a crappy movie anyway (Joint Security Area by Park Chan-wook).

Suairyu

Banned
Ideally your job hunt should begin while you're at uni. I made the mistake of not looking for work while I was at uni and now I'm fucking nowhere.
Same here. But in my defense (lol not really):
1 - I was convinced the first few scripts I ever wrote would be published.
2 - Uni employment advice centres are useless for creative fields.
3 - As a result of #1 and #2, I assumed creative fields weren't for me.

So I've "wasted" three years of my life doing work not really related to my career choice, but whatever. What is, is. Always be moving forward. There's no such thing as "too late".

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Sober at last for the win. Smoked some kush with a friend and fuck that shits wild to say the lease. :/

Another example is Magners cider. It's Magners in Britain but Bulmers in Ireland.

I hate when your in a bar in NI and you ask for Magners and they say they've only got Bulmers. Just saying that indicates to me that you know what I want, just give me it.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
No the British Bulmers is a different company & drink.

The Magners guy was originally partners with the Bulmers guy and had the Irish Bulmers trademark. There was a split, and he kept the Bulmers name in Ireland while using Magners in the UK.

No the British Bulmers is a different company & drink.

The Magners guy was originally partners with the Bulmers guy and had the Irish Bulmers trademark. There was a split, and he kept the Bulmers name in Ireland while using Magners in the UK.
What a ballbag. That's just confusion that neither me nor bar men need to be dealing with.

Edit: Aw, me with my sexism. Bar folk.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
ok, question time for everyone. How many jobs have you been in since you were legally able to work?

Is "legally able to work" = "16" ?

If not, I was a paperboy between 1996-2000 (started when I was 11.)

As for "grown up" work though:

I worked at McDonalds in two different stores (temporarily worked in every store in Edinburgh City Centre though due to staff shortages) from 2000-2004.

From 2004-2008 I had an eBay store that made a decent cut of money.

Did some inbound sales in a call center for 6 months in 2005 before resuming my studies.

I did some outbound sales for one month later in that year. Soul destroying.

Did customer service in a call center for summer in 2006.

Worked in local government from 2007-2008.

Did some freelance web design at the end of 2008.

Went to Korea to teach English in 2009-2010. I was going to come back to the UK to study a Masters degree, but DVT put an end to that.

I moved to Taiwan and have been working at my current job doing Marketing for a large software company since 2010. I will leave in 2 weeks.

I will start my own business this summer.

I'm really not that much of a drinker and but in my 4 years of college I never drank during the day... until Monday. Simply had to have a Bulmers with my lunch in that sunshine! I went a different route today and instead ate a tub of Ben & Jerry's, that new Karamel Sutra flavour and my god, the amount of caramel in that thing is heavenly!

Leaving Cert must be about if the weather is pickin' up.

Mr. Sam

I'm a receptionist for the day. It's not exactly Sairyu-esque dream realisation but it pays. If anybody needs any copying doing...

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Hey it's a rewarding and dynamic job that's paid my bills for the past 9 years.

kUXXs.jpg
kUXXs.jpg
kUXXs.jpg

R3bzp.jpg

Kentpaul

age 16 - demolition/stealing roofing slate's/copper ect with a shady demolition company (not really steeling instead of putting that shit in skips someone would take it away and sell it then give us all cash at the end of the shift)

age 17 - grass cutting in the BP/ineos and another gig grass cutting for a local football training ground.

age 18 - Retirement

age 19 - Meat factory for 3 weeks, hotel for 5 hours.

age 20 - retirement/government courses to help me find a job

age 21 - janitor for asda (love it so much)

only flaw with my current job is i get paid every 2 weeks (i'd love to get paid every week)

Being a janitor is awesome guys. you have no obligations: you just stroll around making sure the place is tidy (occasionally having to pick stuff from the floor and place it in a bin then empty the bin every hour is no big deal) Mopping up the odd case of wine or something when something is dropped (i average around 4 spillages a day) More if there are new workers starting then my average can go up to 10 a day, then for 2 hours around 6pm you drive around on this floor wash thing relaxing.

Its a great job guys and i get plenty time off (getting 4 days off after my shift on friday)

Life is great.

SmokyDave

I can't tell you the last time I 'cared' about my job. Probably when I was a waiter. Now I just do what I'm good at because it pays well. No passion at all. My job is just there to pay for all the cool shit I enjoy when I'm not at work.

I don't mind though, my colleagues are a good bunch and they make tedium much more bearable. It's also nice that I can do my job standing on my head so I'm free to GAF at the same time.

age 20 - retirement
This tickled me good.

Kentpaul

I can't tell you the last time I 'cared' about my job. Probably when I was a waiter. Now I just do what I'm good at because it pays well. No passion at all. My job is just there to pay for all the cool shit I enjoy when I'm not at work.

I don't mind though, my colleagues are a good bunch and they make tedium much more bearable. It's also nice that I can do my job standing on my head so I'm free to GAF at the same time.

This tickled me good.

I bet you would care if something went wrong. Just like me if the place looks like a mess i will go into super drive and make sure all the floors are swept and random shit on the floor is moved.

i want my floors looking like this

warehouse-communications1.jpg

not this

March%201,%202010%20036.jpg

Salazar

Reason I drank Guinness was because all the girls were drinking cider. I've never backed out on cider like that before. It needs its manly image back.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm a receptionist for the day. It's not exactly Sairyu-esque dream realisation but it pays. If anybody needs any copying doing...

A did a few hours of reception duty every Friday when I a volunteer, but that mostly involved opening the door and answering the phone.

Suairyu

Banned
Celebratory breakfast was two triple-bacon and fried egg sandwiches, with some beans for dipping. I'm going to feel like a disgusting pig in a few hours but for now I am just reveling in the unhealthiness and amazing taste that I just don't care.

Now chilling with the Tomb Raider comics compendium. Having replayed Legend over the weekend, my Lara flame has been reignited. The comics are so exploitative and 90s. I love it.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh goddamnit. Why is it when I'm making headway in one job area, all those graduate schemes I applied for six months ago suddenly start calling me and offering 22k+/pa jobs with really tempting benefits?

SmokyDave

Reason I drank Guinness was because all the girls were drinking cider. I've never backed out on cider like that before. It needs its manly image back.

I'll happily drink mojitos because I'm confident that my manliness speaks for itself. I do struggle with ordering 'halves' though, it just feels wrong.

industrian

Cider is rank anyway. I'm always left with a horrible taste in my mouth the next morning.

I remember my Strongbow/Scrumpy Jack days fondly.

Actually... now I come to think of it I don't remember them at all. Something about all-day hangovers n' shit...

Lirlond

Atleast it's not alcopops.

Weathers still nice, will go and read in it later, my arms have went a lovely pinkish colour so I'll need to remember to put sunscreen on more than once today!

This sun is deadly to us though. Not only must we contend with the rays immediately radiating from the sun's core but we must also not fall victim to those rays deflecting off of the pasty, pale folk that compose these isles.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'll happily drink mojitos because I'm confident that my manliness speaks for itself. I do struggle with ordering 'halves' though, it just feels wrong.

Order 2 halves, that way it's still a pint. Like a Bounty comes in 2 halves. I also drink the most effeminate drinks possible if I'm craving one, to hell with masculinity!

Suairyu

Banned
Cosmopolitans and Dark Cherry Flips (seriously, it's like a chocolatey orgasm in the mouth) are my girl drink drugs of choice.

Whenever I got into a new cocktail bar, the first thing I order is a cosmo. It's amazing how many bartenders can't mix one properly. I can judge an entire bar from just that one drink.

Kentpaul

Cider is for females (magners ect) and alcoholics (strongbow,white ciders). Guinness/stella are Man's drinks, and buckfast is a party foundation drink.

I only really drink pints and shorts. The womanliest drink I probably consume is:

1. Buy a 2 litre bottle of 7up and some cheap white wine.
2. Pour out half of the 7up into a bush/alleyway.
3. Pour the bottle of wine into the 7up bottle.
4. Drink while on the bus to your favourite sporting/music even.

industrian

Cider is for females (magners ect) and alcoholics (strongbow,white ciders). Guinness/stella are Man's drinks, and buckfast is a party foundation drink.

Buckie is for stupid kids who both don't know and can't buy better.

Stella is for idiots who buy into the marketing. Its strength is chemically reinforced and generally a shitty taste after a pint or two. Tennants (!!) is a superior beer.

Grolsch is the king of mainstream beers.

industrian

In Japan cider means lemonade :((

Korea too.

I remember playing football with a bunch of guys on my first day in Korea and being asked if I want some cider. Was slightly let down when I got a watered-down Sprite. But then we all got naked at the sauna and it was cool.

Lirlond

Buckie is for stupid kids who both don't know and can't buy better.

Stella is for idiots who buy into the marketing. Its strength is chemically reinforced and generally a shitty taste after a pint or two. Tennants (!!) is a superior beer.

Grolsch is the king of mainstream beers.

Stella is bad, but lets not go too far!

Clegg

FFS the sun is beating down and I'm stuck in Uni doing an essay.

And San Miguel is the best drink to have in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom