• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly feel I missed something big when the Timedog vs Blamespac thread popped up. Then again I feel I've missed out on most of GAF's epic threads.

In other news someone is playing with fireworks near the office. It's 3:30pm and the sun is shining. Why?

I also feel like I missed out on that whole thing so now I just don't get why it is (or ever was) a big deal.

Suairyu

Banned
Devo and Timedog are by far the worst development that has happened in the last 3 years on NeoGAF. Every thread they post in becomes this "OH TIMEDOG, YOU CRAZY" kind of thing. They both do my fucking nut in.
Timedog can grate as all jokey characters do, but Devo remains one of GAF's more intelligent posters. She can be a very refreshing voice of reason in socio-political and civil rights threads.

I also feel like I missed out on that whole thing so now I just don't get why it is (or ever was) a big deal.
It wasn't a big deal. It was just a funny joke for a couple of weeks. People then refer back to it every now and again. I think people then take that and exaggerate it into being this big massive thing, which it wasn't.

Yami

Sun and beers after an essay hand-in and a shambles of a presentation. Hoping weather stays nice for a BBQ with some friends tomorrow. Should be awesome either way really.

Hope rest of UK GAF is enjoying the sunshine as much as I am!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Migrate would mean move from one database to another, usually used when moving from flat-page content to CMS or vice versa. Migrate can also be used to mean a move within a website's structure. In this context, migrate seems to mean create, which it doesn't.

Migrate the message from your brain to the website.

It's very clear IMO.

Jokes aside, the manager meant the word "migrate" in the same context as that businessspeak hallmark "leverage." But the fact remains that they could have just said "can you put this message on this website?" but wanted to look important and/or clever.

Sun and beers after an essay hand-in and a shambles of a presentation. Hoping weather stays nice for a BBQ with some friends tomorrow. Should be awesome either way really.

I feel ya, man. Even though I don't think I've messed up any presentations yet, it can be super nerve-wracking. I'm sure you did better than you think!

And yes, weather's been lovely :D

SmokyDave

Jokes aside, the manager meant the word "migrate" in the same context as that businessspeak hallmark "leverage." But the fact remains that they could have just said "can you put this message on this website?" but wanted to look important and/or clever.

Perhaps you ought to consider a more synergistic strategy going forwards to enable yourself and your manager to engage in some leveraged blue-sky parallel development.

I really wanted to get 'synecdoche' into that sentence somewhere.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I dont know what's worse guys. Ironing clothing, changing bedding or doing the dishes. All of then are chores from hell. Clearly the worse part of my life doing any of that shit.

Yami

I feel ya, man. Even though I don't think I've messed up any presentations yet, it can be super nerve-wracking. I'm sure you did better than you think!

And yes, weather's been lovely :D

Haha, I know this one was terrible. I wasn't worried as it was only presented to a small group, and it didn't help I did the presentation last night half asleep. I really do not like this module, and I've only turned up for like, 2 lectures this semester, simply because the quality of teaching is terrible.

Last week's presentation was more nerve-wracking as it was for something I cared about and it had a higher weight on my overall grade. But I pretty much nailed that one, haha. Oh well, just a few more deadlines then I'm done with uni!

I dont know what's worse guys. Ironing clothing, changing bedding or doing the dishes. All of then are chores from hell. Clearly the worse part of my life doing any of that shit.

I don't mind ironing or doing the dishes but changing the bedding is probably the worst thing ever. Not only is it awkward to do, it reminds me how disgusting I am.

Kentpaul

Don't be like that.

I can't be Posting in threads that are Hidden away in the great dungeons of gaf. Have you browsed any of the sporting threads that got sentenced to death ? There is rioting in they threads with regulars dropping like flys. When this thread is sanctioned I will be jumping ship and going back to free lance posting. I may bump into you guys In threads many months from now.

industrian

Perhaps you ought to consider a more synergistic strategy going forwards to enable yourself and your manager to engage in some leveraged blue-sky parallel development.

I really wanted to get 'synecdoche' into that sentence somewhere.

We should touch base offline about your grassroots plans for cultivating these amalgamatives.

I can't be Posting in threads that are Hidden away in the great dungeons of gaf. Have you browsed any of the sporting threads that got sentenced to death ? There is rioting in they threads with regulars dropping like flys. When this thread is sanctioned I will be jumping ship and going back to free lance posting. I may bump into you guys In threads many months from now.

Why don't you just, you know

post in the thread still

industrian

So let me get this straight Kentpaul... you're leaving this thread because you're afraid of people leaving this thread?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Some of us have jobs you know :( I hope that in a few years time when you're stuck in a hot office somewhere you get people saying "I hope you're enjoying the sun!" and feel as bitter about it as I do!

But yeah, it's ok I guess. Nothing can ruin my mood today - just found out my salary for my new job and am grinning like a loon, spending the money in my head already. I can finally do a Kentpaul and go away for some weekend breaks with the wife. Yay to being paid moderately well for once!

Just use the dishwasher guys, if you don't use enough dishes to warrant using the dishwasher just let them accumulate until there are enough! That's my policy and its worked fine so far.

Qasiel

Changing the bedding isnt that bad, is it? I'd rather do that than do the dishes any day (although this is coming from years spent at work cleaning dishes). Bedding can be changed in just a few minutes.

What do you do with pots and pans?

Depending on what I used them for I'll either hand wash them or stick them in the dishwasher. They are the only thing spoiling my perfect plan.

I've seen some amazing fungal forms build up if you leave dishes unwashed in the dishwasher.

Usually I fill my dishwasher everyday, not long enough for fungi to form, but I understand it can be a problem if you don't use dishes as liberally as me.

Kentpaul

Changing the bedding isnt that bad, is it? I'd rather do that than do the dishes any day (although this is coming from years spent at work cleaning dishes). Bedding can be changed in just a few minutes.

Sometimes the quilt can go into a big ball inside the quilt cover and you have to stand like a jackass sorting all the corners. I only change my bedding once a week because I just can't be fucked doing it more. I don't think this thread will get sent down Because if it was it woulda already.

Kentpaul

So let me get this straight Kentpaul... you're leaving this thread because you're afraid of people leaving this thread?

Posters who post in "community" type threads fade away like a married man. No longer will the community poster drop into other threads for a quick beer with the homies, the community style poster will stay In his regular thread living the same old life. Fuck fading away like a married man guys I want to stay outgoing and hip.

Suairyu

Banned
Posters who post in "community" type threads fade away like a married man. No longer will the community poster drop into other threads for a quick beer with the homies, the community style poster will stay In his regular thread living the same old life. Fuck fading away like a married man guys I want to stay outgoing and hip.
Why do you love labels so much?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm married and still hip... I think...

TCRS

Banned
Guys, what do you think of quitting a job after two months? Not because I don't like it or anything but because I want to find a job with more hours. But how will that look on the CV?

Suairyu

Banned
Just made a ghetto chili for later. Normally I'd use steak cuts and soaked kidney beans and so on, but this was just beef mince+baked beans+tinned tommies+spices. Smells delicious all the same.

Guys, what do you think of quitting a job after two months? Not because I don't like it or anything but because I want to find a job with more hours. But how will that look on the CV?
Find the replacement job first. So long as future employers can see it was a smart decision by yourself, it shouldn't damage your CV.

To people in shitty jobs, I feel you. Mine isn't too shitty but a lot of the people there are. It used to be a fun place to work but the fun people left and the cunts took over. My place has a ridiculous amount of managers and then another layer of managers above them before you get to the directors. Our money raised has been going down for years yet they keep creating new managerial positions by upgrading current members of staff whose face fits ie been to Oxford or Cambridge, upper middle class, thinks the sun shines out of the chairman's arse and the organisation can do no wrong.

A lot of the managers have zero managerial experience but are experts in paper shuffling to look busy. I don't understand why at least half of these people haven't been fired, yet my manager gets a fuckton of shit despite being one of the better ones there. They asked him to make £100k of cuts from this financial year only two weeks ago. Where the fuck was he supposed to magic that up from? I told him to make me redundant but he declined :-(

I'm expecting to go back to a shitstorm next week as I made a few comments on my appraisal alluding to the above bollocks and the director has gone mental! She tried to get my manager to give it back to me to rewrite but he refused. It's all now been signed off but in her comments, it seems like she's suggesting there may not be a role for me soon. I hope so anyway as that was the point of my comments. Alternatively, she may be referring to the temporary promotion I've been doing for the last year. Losing that would be a bitch but if it paves the way for a pay off, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Anybody who lives in Manchester hear about the torso found on Upper Brook Street this morning?

Just spoken to a friend who saw it, not nice :-/

daviyoung

Banned
Never quit a job before you get offered a new one. If you have one lined up it doesn't matter, you can omit it from your CV if you want but 2 months isn't bad.

Bo-Locks

From the news it's the longsight end of the road (I'm in the city), lorry driver has been arrested...

The driver has since been released. Another lorry driver was arrested on suspicion of murder in Newton Heath and has since been released, too. Really weird. Nobody knows if it was a murder, an accident or a suicide.

SteveWD40

The driver has since been released. Another lorry driver was arrested on suspicion of murder in Newton Heath and has since been released, too. Really weird. Nobody knows if it was a murder, an accident or a suicide.

So the body has been hit by a lorry and they are now trying to figure out who and why?

Bo-Locks

Son the body has been hit by a lorry and they are now trying to figure out who and why?

Yeah.

2 lorry drivers were arrested on suspicion of murder, one at the scene and one in Newton Heath. Both have been released.

There have been suggestions and rumours that she either jumped from an office block, was involved in a hit and run incident, or the body was possibly thrown from one of the lorries. Nobody really knows, it's up to the police to find out. The weirdest thing to me is that they arrested a lorry driver in Newton Heath.

Koshiro

Easier said...

I think that right now, finding a new job is one of the hardest things imaginable. It's taken me 5 years to find one, after applying almost weekly. Crazy.

My missus is in the same position, her boss is a total cunt but she's finding it impossible to find another job. The trouble for her is that she gets paid too much, all the comparable jobs are a two grand pay cut which is a bit much to stomach. But it is really starting to affect her, and she's the kind of person that can't just leave work at work (me, I walk out the door of an evening and forget I ever even had a job).
I hear you - perhaps my advice should have been 'see if there are any jobs out there that appeal'.

As for your lady - perhaps a 2K paycut isn't so bad if it's bringing her down that much. Bit of a personal opinion that one, as to which is more important to her, financial responsibilities etc etc. Personally I'd find ways to make do with 2K less and start living each day with a mood other than total misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom