• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

Duxxy3

and then they end up like Evil Within 2 and kill the franchise

I think it's a little soon for that. It doesn't seem like a high budget game. They didn't even keep the original voice actors from the first game. Going for even lesser known actors.

The only thing that seemed like it cost a bit was Ordinary World.

They also likely saved a lot by re-using assets over and over. They were able to pad out a few chapters considerably by having the player fetch things.

Jyester

I hope it picks up steam over time. A Halloween promotion should give it at least some kind of influx. As it stands, I don't think the slow trickle of reasonably solid reviews didn't really help in building any hype surrounding the launch.
Evil Within 2 doesn't look like a 360 game its using a hugely upgraded engine called STEAM

Lolks better and has better performance than TEW1 and many, many 360 games
This reads like a Trump tweet.

Jingo

So sad for this game, where was the marketing for a horror game coming out in halloween time? They should had used the friday 13th theme a lot better with promotion and not just release it that day.

Review embargo was stupid too cause didnt built any hype around the game, what a shame.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SomTervo

- It's not super obvious from the videos I've seen. I should be a potential customer but they failed to show me the unique features of this game. I don't know what's new about it. What is exciting about it? - it's the second ever true survival horror open world (the only other is Silent Hill Downpour), brilliant encounter and level design that basically takes RE4's village and expands it to large parts of the experience, and a few cleverly designed survival mechanics that nudge survival horror in an interesting direction
- Being open-world (which I didn't know about) doesn't change the combat/stealth gameplay seen in RE4, TLOU already. It's not super exciting making people want to rush to buy it.- It... actually does. You should read previews or play before you make judgements - videos really don't do justice.The way encounters and gameplay pans out is completely different thanks to the open world. The only other similar games I can think of are Dying Light and STALKER, but they're not survival horror games
- The enemies are designed to be gross/weird. Much more than RE that are only zombies and mutant creatures caused by a bio hazard. It's a lot less mass appealing. - you kidding? RE went full gross quickly and has only become more gross as it went along. TEW's bosses were super gross but many of the enemies were just regular kinda zombies. Nothing worse than RE4. RE7's marketing campaign included cannibals feasting on human entrails. 4-6 included people's heads bursting with massive organ-like growths and giant fleshy bosses. TEW2 actually includes a broader range - from RE style zombies, to big grotesque creatures, to low-key creepy horror staples like little girls, well-dressed psychos, etc. Either way, this is not a valid argument, RE has absolutely had things just as bad or worse
- The game isn't jaw dropping, its visuals don't have that next-gen graphics selling point IMO. - a few of the environments are definitely jaw dropping, but yes on the whole it's not a graphical showcase. That said, it's about a million miles away from a 360-era title

Admittedly the reason for many of your misconceptions is Bethesda's flopped marketing.

Honestly GTA/Red Dead style "listing all the features and gameplay styles in a game" advertising approach would have really helped this, I think.

I was severely disappointed by the first one. This one looks better, but I'm waiting on a very significant discount before taking the plunge.

Yeah it's totally different from the first one. Different director, different world/pace design, new mechanics.

Evil Within 3 chances are lowering.

They've missed two times for me, even now that they were actually adressing the problems I've had with the first. So I'm okay with this. Well, first of all I hope that Tango survives. After that, they can hopefully make a new IP. It didn't sound like Mikami even wanted to do TEW1 and it showed. Hopefully Bethesda allows them to produce something new like Vanquish at least, even if they probably won't go as crazy as Godhand, Killer7, etc...

Regolego

Neo Member
I bought the UK physical version but cant redeem the DLC last fight chance code in Scandinavia. Anyone from UK who didnt get the code can PM me

KooopaKid

Banned
Admittedly the reason for many of your misconceptions is Bethesda's flopped marketing.

Honestly GTA/Red Dead style "listing all the features and gameplay styles in a game" advertising approach would have really helped this, I think.

Yeah I think so too.

Top Bottom