• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Video Game Market Data 2023(Total Hardware Sales: PS5 1.2m, Switch 720k and Xbox Series 650k)

jm89

Source: https://flipbook-livid.vercel.app/deploy/examples/assets/pdf/book.pdf
Software:
BWrq5az.png

PBxIgzB.png

h9CsJhF.png

32kiWw0.png

eQpMtF0.png

Hardware:
Accessories:

Game Chart:

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How has this report got it's data? Afaik none of the console platforms reveal their digital sales data.

I must admit I'm surprised they claim physical has that much of a share. But how do they know?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield made it to the PC charts but not to the combined chart.

That means Xbox sales were less than ~150k for it.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF
Even on PC, it sold (93K) what TLOU Part 2 sold (93K) on PlayStation in its 4th year.

I remember certain people here predicting that Starfield will outsell Spider-Man 2.

Overall, glad to see such high physical sales ratio.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
GFK and GSD.

They don't have to give it, but they do.

Some don't, like nintendo doesn't give digital data or larian doesn't give anything.

So Microsoft who stopped reporting their sales and pivoted over to giving MAU instead just give the data to GFK and GSD anyway?

Not wishing to cast aspersions on your insight, but based on the info given, I don't get it.

Woopah

So Microsoft who stopped reporting their sales and pivoted over to giving MAU instead just give the data to GFK and GSD anyway?

Not wishing to cast aspersions on your insight, but based on the info given, I don't get it.
I believe that if publishers want to receive digital data, they have to give digital data.

So Microsoft, EA, Capcom, Square Enix, Sony etc. tell these trackers how much their games sell digitally, so that they can see how well other games are selling digitally.

Not every publisher shares information, which is why the overall digital figures are estimates.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

They do give data to these organizations.

Remember when Chris Dring told us that they didn't have data from Larian, which is why Baldur's Gate 3 never appeared on any of these charts? You can see that it is still missing.

But Microsoft does share its data, which is why their games can/do appear.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I believe that if publishers want to receive digital data, they have to give digital data.

So Microsoft, EA, Capcom, Square Enix, Sony etc. tell these trackers how much their games sell digitally, so that they can see how well other games are selling digitally.

Not every publisher shares information, which is why the overall digital figures are estimates.

Right, that makes more sense, thankyou!

Analysis of the software sales based on the data included in this 2023 UK report provided by enpleinjour from Installbase:

Physical vs Digital
  • Console Full Game revenue: 40% Physical : 60% Digital
    • 34% Physical including PC
Console vs PC
  • Full game revenue : 84% console, 16% PC
  • Gaming hardware access. : 81% console, 19% PC
    • 1.4M PS accessories
    • 1M XB accessories
ERA 2022PC (1,000s)Total (1,000s)PC ratio
Elden Ring1818650.21
GTAV1018160.12
RDR1003550.28
LEGO698170.08
ERA 2023
Hogwarts2251,9210.12
Diablo 42244430.51
Jedi S575530.10
COD MW31611,2390.13
GTAV1356160.22
RDR21084120.26
EAFC 24612,3960.03

PC ratios continue to be really low. New releases like Jedi having just 10% of sales on PC, EA, the biggest UK game only 3%. Hogwarts only 12%.
Even that Diablo split seems a bit surprising, would have expected 60-70% on PC.
UK is just not a big market for PC.

Software
  • COD continues its decline, this year is a -36% decline. MW3 console sales are close with Vanguard, lowest COD sales since 2008
  • EA likely had one of its best years in history, Top 20 sales are ~4M, not that far from ATVI+Nintendo+SONY combined!
  • ATVI can't stop the COD bleed but D4 did very well.
  • UBI still down in the dumps with a lack of output and big sellers
  • Nintendo should be closer to last year, a lot of competition this year so the Top 20 misses part of their usual evergreens
  • SONY had a drop of output, GOWR legs are very good, expected SM2 to do more and outsell the original considerably, but the installbase seems like a real factor there.
Screenshot-2024-03-06-at-11-53-09.png

1st Calendar Year sales:

[2017] Assassin's Creed II - 920,910
[2017] Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - 880,775
[2017] Assassin's Creed Origins - 679,965 (20.4% digital)
[2018] Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 305,937***
[2020] Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 693,367 (40.1% digital)
[2023] Assassin's Creed Mirage - 352,228 (51.3% digital)

Resident Evil Village - 331,252
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - 354,257
Resident Evil 4 Remake - 321,117

Elden Ring - 865,262
LEGO SS - 817,299
Hogwarts - 1,921,143

FF15 - <250,000 (phy only)
TR:SoTR - 226,125 (phy only)
Avengers - 380,596 (33.8%)
FF7R - < 320,000
GoTG - 192,576 (27.4%)
FF16 - <142,000

Skyrim - 1,138,000
Fallout 4 - 1,126,000
Starfield - 142,000

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
By the way, the PC software sales data is abysmal. For instance, out of 1.9 million copies, Hogwart's Legacy sold only 224K on PC. That's 11.6% on PC vs. 88.4% on consoles.

Yet we keep hearing people say "Oh, X company is leaving soooo much money on the table by not releasing their games on PC."

This is the data we need to use the next time someone says that Nintendo needs to release their games on PC or Sony needs to release their games on PC day one.

Schmendrick

By the way, the PC software sales data is abysmal. For instance, out of 1.9 million copies, Hogwart's Legacy sold only 224K on PC. That's 11.6% on PC vs. 88.4% on consoles.

Yet we keep hearing people say "Oh, X company is leaving soooo much money on the table by not releasing their games on PC."

This is the data we need to use the next time someone says that Nintendo needs to release their games on PC or Sony needs to release their games on PC day one.
Let`s not pretend that`s a rule though. See Helldivers with their 60-40 split in favor of PC.
Different games/genres simply speak to different demographics.

GHG

That depends on the game and which country/region we're talking about though.

Mr Moose

Wasn't Starfield 2/3 on PC (at launch anyway), or was that Europe? I remember some people saying FF16 bombed and Starfield was doing great. :messenger_weary:

That's PC v 5 consoles so it's not too bad. In Europe it's bigger than any singular console in 2023, PC > PS5 > Switch > PS4 > Series, not sure if that includes Germany and UK.

I agree with the last part, Nintendo/PlayStation don't need to do that shit.

Blood Borne

Only a 10% share in its second most important market are quite worrying figures.

This shows that Microsoft publishing their games on other platforms is NOT a bad business decision.

More so, Microsoft probably has even more robust data on their performance in other markets, forecasting figures, costs, etc and they thoroughly analysed it and came to a conclusion to publish on other platforms.

How can anyone see this and still think games like Starfield isn’t going to other platforms.

Spiderman (PS5) sold between 4 à 6 times more than Starfield (PC/Xbox). That's shocking !

"but it's on GamePass"

We also know that the game didn't boost GP subscriptions nor boost hardware sales.

shock.gif
No wonder they are now releasing on PS5 as well.

Only a 10% share in its second most important market are quite worrying figures.

10% is basically being irrelevant at this point. And this is on their 2nd biggest market...imagine everywhere else.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Let`s not pretend that`s a rule though. See Helldivers with their 60-40 split in favor of PC.
Different games/genres simply speak to different demographics.
From what I've noticed, online games sell well on PC because they can't be pirated.
That depends on the game and which country/region we're talking about though.
Sure. But these results are still quite awful.
Wasn't Starfield 2/3 on PC (at launch anyway), or was that Europe? I remember some people saying FF16 bombed and Starfield was doing great. :messenger_weary:

That's PC v 5 consoles so it's not too bad. In Europe it's bigger than any singular console in 2023, PC > PS5 > Switch > PS4 > Series, not sure if that includes Germany and UK.

I agree with the last part, Nintendo/PlayStation don't need to do that shit.
While that's true, other games also paint a similar picture. Jedi Survivor launched only on 2 next-gen consoles and PC. The split is roughly the same.

Only 10.20% of its sales are on PC. The rest of the 90% sales are on 2 consoles: PS5 and XBS.

Considering the large userbase and how every day we hear how important the PC userbase is for these console companies and game publishers to survive, these numbers are undoubtedly low.

Topher

Gold Member
What if it is adorable? 🤔

I'll take big and ugly, thank you

To be fair that's one of the ones that I wouldn't be surprised if it came to PS5. Same with Blade and Indiana Jones.

Before Phil Spencer was shockingly non-committal to Starfield being console exclusive, I would have agreed with you. I think at this point, it is a matter of time.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine next gen consoles without some kind of disk drive option at this point
Exactly. I'm now convinced that the next-generation consoles coming from Japan will have a disc/cartridge option, which means I'll stick with consoles for at least another generation.

Mind you, I don't dislike digital, but I prefer having options. If push comes to shove, I'll be moving back to PC since it offers an open ecosystem.

Mahavastu

Analysis of the software sales based on the data included in this 2023 UK report provided by enpleinjour from Installbase:

ERA 2022PC (1,000s)Total (1,000s)PC ratio
Elden Ring1818650.21
GTAV1018160.12
RDR1003550.28
LEGO698170.08
ERA 2023
Hogwarts2251,9210.12
Diablo 42244430.51
Jedi S575530.10
COD MW31611,2390.13
GTAV1356160.22
RDR21084120.26
EAFC 24612,3960.03

PC ratios continue to be really low. New releases like Jedi having just 10% of sales on PC, EA, the biggest UK game only 3%. Hogwarts only 12%.
Even that Diablo split seems a bit surprising, would have expected 60-70% on PC.
UK is just not a big market for PC.
Tbh, while the other charts are more or less what I expected, the low amount of PC sales was what suprised / even shocked me most. I expected them way higher then that.
I guess that for example Hogwarts does not even contain the digital Switch sales (he seems to have no access to those numbers), so the PC share for this game is most likely even lower for games than mentioned here.

Are the PC numbers higher for other territories?

Skyrim - 1,138,000
Fallout 4 - 1,126,000
Starfield - 142,000
Ouch, that must hurt

Last edited:

XXL

Exactly. I'm now convinced that the next-generation consoles coming from Japan will have a disc/cartridge option, which means I'll stick with consoles for at least another generation.

Mind you, I don't dislike digital, but I prefer having options. If push comes to shove, I'll be moving back to PC since it offers an open ecosystem.
I think PS6 will do the same idea they did for this generation, releasing an all digital and disc based PS6, but they be more evenly produced

I have both versions (2 digital, 1 physical), the digital ones were hard to get around launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom