• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Watch Dogs on PS4 handedly outsells Unity on all platforms

Mory Dunz

So Watchdogs not launching that fall helped it out then?

We have to wait for how the Wii U version affects that number. Could be negative shipments...

Dabanton

WatchDogs had the luxury of releasing when people were desperate for any big game to play on their system.

AC is launching in a month that has CoD and Halo on one end and Far Cry, GTAV and Dragon Age on the other.

gossi

Uhm, the OP compares UK Unity sales with Watch Dogs sales for the entire of North America? Or am I misreading?

Spacejaws

An additional factor is that many people that got the PS4's and well next gen consoles did so in anticipation of Watch_Dogs. I know
Alot of average Fifa joes that it was the only 'Next Gen' game they had seen or knew about and were hyped.

Before Watch_Dogs released it was a relative drought. People were desperate for something that look the part on these consoles. At least that has been the reasoning from the people I know. There was literally nothing else to be hyped about. Unity has been released around a bunch of great games just before it - Alien, Mordor, Call of Duty and right afterwards with Dragon Age, GTA and Far Cry 4. I think people are just being a little bit more cautious as to which games to select. Negative post release press of Watch_Dogs may also be a factor for sitting out on Unity(plus those Unity reviews are brutal)

I dont feel bad for them at all. I wish it tanked harder than that and WW too. Parity is bullshit anyways. Just make a game that fully maximizes the consoles hardware. Its more fair to everybody that way.

Sami+

I really hope Unity tanked. The industry should not support that kind of trash. Finish the game before releasing it.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Good. Hopefully it forces Ubi to make a decent AC again.

Can we really say this based on one country?

Why not americans do it lol

giphy.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's obviously really, WD has some of the GTA crowd which wouldn't touch a AC game.

QaaQer

Not surprised. Watch Dogs killed my interest in Ubi's open world games. The little games are still great though.

Carlius

Banned
i am enjoying unity a lot more than watch dogs, but they do deserve a slap to the face for realeasing the game in such a state. watch dogs had a lot more hype since e3 and it just looked incredible before the massive downgrade. I think that while ubisoft is a very versatile company, thei ambition is just too much sometimes and they never reach that desired level. you can see it, but limitations are holding them back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pity. Now it's gonna be more watch dogs in shit settings instead of AC, which has possiby the best settings in gaming.

They're not going to stop either of them.

Yves stated their goal is to go from a $1.5 billion revenue company to a $4 billion revenue company like EA and Activision, so they need a lot of very active franchises.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm surprised ho well Watchdogs did. A new franchise with a ton of negativity behind it, i mean most of Unity's negativity has come after the game launched, Watchdogs had months of negativity before it launched.

I wonder how Shadow of Mordor did in the UK and if that had something to do with Unity's low sales. I wasn't even considering Assassin's Creed after getting my fill with SoM.

Fdkn

I'm surprised ho well Watchdogs did. A new franchise with a ton of negativity behind it, i mean most of Unity's negativity has come after the game launched, Watchdogs had months of negativity before it launched.

Negativity where? Gaf and other -notreallyrepresentative- internet forums?

I didn't like it very much (gave it a 6 myself) but it was a solid foundation for a future sequel with the flaws adressed.

Watch_Dogs probably had one of the most killer reveals in a long, long, long time.

That E3 2012 reveal has 14 million views on the Ubisoft official YT channel alone. IGN's mirror has 5 million, and various other news outlets and random videos probably add up to several million as well. It was ridiculously hyped as far as new IPs go.

It was also 9 minutes long, far longer than your average 'trailer.'

QaaQer

Anyone think GTA V has a chance to be the best selling game for the month of November?

Definitely, that game is a monster.

I also think that game was in part responsible for Watch Dog sales as the audience was hoping to find a reasonable facsimile of GTA open-world goodness in WD.

Kill3r7

Nah, the best selling game in November will be CoD:AW. However GTA V has a very high chance being number 2.

I don't believe COD has lost November since COD4 released, maybe going back even further, not sure. However, GTA V seems poised to challenge them and maybe pull off the upset.

Can't wait to see how Watch_dogs performs on Wii U. It's like a one two punch for Ubisoft this fortnight.

Time for Ubisoft to wake up and smell their own shit.

Elios83

Watch Dogs was a super (over)hyped new IP.
It sold a LOT at launch, but then sales stayed almost flat.
It will be hard for the next game in the series to make the same numbers of the original unless they can improve quality significantly on all fronts.
With Unity it's clear that the series has been milked enough just like Call of Duty, sales are going to go down progressively as more people get bored and jump out of buying the same game experience every year. Also the launch was a debacle, first the PR misstep with the parity comment and then it turned out that the game was released in an unfinished and unoptimized state.
Btw this is good, sales going down is the only lesson that big publishers like Ubisoft understand.

WatchDogs had the luxury of releasing when people were desperate for any big game to play on their system.

AC is launching in a month that has CoD and Halo on one end and Far Cry, GTAV and Dragon Age on the other.

This excuse does not hold at all.

1- AC is a big franchise while WD is a new IP.
2- It´s holiday season so software usually sells more.
3- There´s bigger install base on new consoles now, so AC should be selling more.

Kill3r7

I hope that this, CoD Ghosts, BF4/hardline's delay make some AAA devs reconsider annualizing everything.

Except Activision hasn't delayed anything nor do they plan to. If you are making one of these AAA blockbuster franchises you almost have to milk them to death. The money is too good to pass up and there is no assurance gaming tastes won't change going forward. People keep pointing to GTA or Rockstar but they're an outlier not the rule.

down 2 orth

The cash cow is running dry... and Ubi's karma is starting to take hold? They went for quick money instead of sustainable money, and after all the wonderful examples we've been given of their company culture, who can be surprised that this is happening?

Two factors:

Parity resulting in a worse PS4 version and massive backlash
No PS4 bundle when it's by far the more popular platform

Betting on the wrong horse during the holiday season is a bad idea and I hope Ubisoft learns this lesson.

Top Bottom