• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Watch Dogs on PS4 handedly outsells Unity on all platforms

BriGuy

Technical issues aside, the microtransactions in Unity would be enough to hate the game by themselves. No, no one is forcing you to buy them, but the fact that Unity even offers "time-savers" in a full priced game (that can cost significantly more than the actual game) is a slap in the face.

kaexfk.jpg
poor Arno :(

Now, let's wait to see how well Far Cry 4 will sell. I am wondering whether the Unity's backlash would impact FC4 sales or not.

Kill3r7

poor Arno :(

Now, let's wait to see how well Far Cry 4 will sell. I am wondering whether the Unity's backlash would impact FC4 sales or not.

Ubi couln't have picked a worse week this year to launch FC4. Poor sales would be more indicative of the competition rather than ACU and backlash.

I'll never understand why people make the thing they're including in the scene transparent a little, it basically means the thing is looking outside at the rain from within the house.

That's what I thought I was supposed to be.
Sitting inside on a rainy day looking sad wish [the thing] could go outside.

QaaQer

The core game us much better. If it didn't have the bugs it would b3 one of the best games released this year.

Watch dogs was just boring

Isn't it a shit story with busy-work like all ubiworld games*? serious question.

*with the possible exception of ACIII where they took some chances with the story.

This only tells half the story.

WD was launched at a time when people were ravenous for new game sto play on their new consoles and at a time when there wasn't much in terms of new releases in general.

Unity is coming at a time when there's immense competition and where people have filled up on games like AW, DC, FIFA, etc.

Not to mention that WD literally saturated the market with ads, whereas I've only seen a few ads for Unity.

down 2 orth

Well there are a lot of factors at play here, but there's a very important one that also need to be taken into account: this game got mob-trounced like a bare-assed 19th century monarch :O

Vhagar

Neo Member
Technical issues aside, the microtransactions in Unity would be enough to hate the game by themselves. No, no one is forcing you to buy them, but the fact that Unity even offers "time-savers" in a full priced game (that can cost significantly more than the actual game) is a slap in the face.

The timesaver microtransactions were in ACIV as well. Where was the outrage last year when they gave you the exact same option?

Watch Dogs hype train of lies was running a lot longer than Unity's. Was released in a really quiet period where PS4/XBONE owners were desperate for a new game too.

Haeleos

Ubisoft deserves this. One of the few instances I've seen people vote with their wallet over an anticipated but unacceptable release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm of the camp that even if it worked well, ACU is not a very good game. It's alarmingly blatant with its amount of dull collectibles, stuffed with tons of side missions/activities that are as bland as 'go to thing kill guys go to other thing' done. I don't mean like on its basis, I mean that's the whole side mission. With about two sentences of dialogue. I find that it actually controls worse than the previous entries whenever you're trying to climb up a building with a lot of geometry, and the combat is SO clunky. Clunkier than any of the previous entries. The original ACs combat was clunky, but they made it so easy that you can force your way through it. Now you can't force your way through it, so you spend even more time noticing how bad it is. It's also information overload when you get to spots like the Cafe. Where a game like GTA would let you explore and figure out the minor things out, Ubisoft demands you know every god damn little 'new' mechanic they stuffed into the game.

The only thing the game has going for it are the two main characters and the setting. Oh and the descend button.

Rip

Sad, Unity is a real good game. Runs real well on my PC, just wish they would of kept it in the oven though for another year to help out the console bros.

I don't feel sorry for them, it's broken game end of discussion. If a developers is going to relay on patches to fix their garbage(especially when it's a single player game) then fuck them.

Yes but here the 360/PS3 was another game and together they outsold COD launch.

They didn't outsell AW's launch. That sold over 800k copies in its first week. They outsold AW's second week, which was 178k. Unity sold 162k this week, and Rogue debuted at #6 on the combined charts. Which probably means that it sold in the 50k range. That's not impressive. The combined sales of two AC titles are lower than Brotherhood (254k), Revelations (264k) and AC3 (394k).

Also selling better than the 360/PS3 release in 2013 is a good thing not a bad thing.

It's not a good thing because people were holding out for the current gen versions of the game.

yurinka

OP forgets to mention they released 2 AC games this month/week, and that unlike Watchdogs Unity wasn't released in last gen consoles.

And well, that Unity performed better than the previous AC game in the platforms where it has been released and that Watchdogs was the best selling new IP launch ever.

StuBurns

Banned
Kind of surprising, but Watch Dogs was something new, it came at a great time, it was the very first next-gen game announced, and it was insanely co-marketed with PS4, which was the hot platform.

I don't know if Unity's performance is going to impact Ubi really. Their games will ship in the same window regardless of if they're ready or not.

Biker19

Banned
Watch Dogs is a more fun game than AC.

I am enjoying the story missions in AC (the main character is likeable, unlike WD) but it's the same old, same old in gameplay terms. I'm not even bothering to collect all the seemingly pointless chests and coins you have to find. And it still has really janky movement that becomes so frustrating when getting about, especially in a hurry or when you're trying to escape. Not to mention it's glitchy and the frame rate is an embarrassment. Graphically it's very nice and the streets are teeming (too much so for the game's own performance) with people and activity. I'm trying to get my moneys worth before trading it in though.

Even Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor was more fun than AC: Unity.

gcubed

OP forgets to mention they released 2 AC games this month/week, and that unlike Watchdogs Unity wasn't released in last gen consoles.

And well, that Unity performed better than the previous AC game in the platforms where it has been released and that Watchdogs was the best selling new IP launch ever.

I don't see the point of your first paragraph, this isn't WD outselling AC. It's WD only on the PS4 outselling both platforms of Unity.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
For some reason the title registered as Sleeping Dogs. I thought Christmas had come early.

Top Bottom