• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II box confirms 1st person mode and 250 page art gallery

Platy

MT Framework is a good news and 250 pages of artwork makes this a must buy

I wonder if it includes newer stuff or just SF2 stuff

MT Framework is a good news and 250 pages of artwork makes this a must buy

I wonder if it includes newer stuff or just SF2 stuff

I imagine art from across all of SF2's re-releases. Which would be kind of neat. I loved the new art done for the GBA port of Super Turbo.

kirblar

So I'm actually curious. Does anyone who has been following this game closely know what exactly the differences are between this and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?
Throws are now LP+LK and techs are in. Can't pick "Old" versions.

foltzie1

I'm confused and I hope someone with a little bit of development experience will set me straight. How do you convert a 2d sprite based fighter to a game that transitions between a 2d sprite-like view to a first person mode.

Why does everyone want a physical release?

The game is probably like 200MB.

Being able to play post apocalypse after the internet crashes.

For real tho it is nice to have a physical piece of software that represents transferable ownership.

Digital is convenient, but I have a 1000+ steam library catalog that is worth $0 to me other than to play it *provided it doesn't get delisted.

Infinite

So the first person mode runs on MT Framework? That potentially bodes well for any of the recent remasters as possible candidates for the Switch, but perhaps most importantly, it might point to Monster Hunter staying on the engine, albeit with some expected improvements now that it's not limited by the 3DS hardware.
Monster hunter used mt lite btw

Skeletos311

I'm confused and I hope someone with a little bit of development experience will set me straight. How do you convert a 2d sprite based fighter to a game that transitions between a 2d sprite-like view to a first person mode.

It doesn't transition from 2D to 1st person. It uses Street Fighter 4's 3D graphics for that separate 1st person mode.

duckroll

Just seems like a hindrance. I could understand the argument that some games are huge downloads and take a lot of storage space, but this would probably download in five minutes.

Why do you care so much what medium peole prefer? It obviously isn't a problem for those who are getting it digitally but having a choice is good.

Just seems like a hindrance. I could understand the argument that some games are huge downloads and take a lot of storage space, but this would probably download in five minutes.

You are under the assumption that everyone likes to buy their games digitally.

Spoiler:
They don't.

Drayco21

I prefer owning physical copies of my games. A physical release is the only reason yet another port of Street Fighter II is even going to be on my radar.

Especially since Nintendo's relationship with the internet has been pretty rough, and I still don't trust them with digital purchases.

Neoxon

It's still used for legacy hardware I guess. Current gen hardware is on the RE Engine that debuted with Evil Biohazard 7 Resident.
That & Unreal Engine 4, which is being used for Capcom's main 2 fighting games (Street Fighter V & Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite).

Why do you care so much what medium peole prefer? It obviously isn't a problem for those who are getting it digitally but having a choice is good.
Just seemed like a rather mundane thing to get excited about, and counter-intuitive on a portable, but I digress.

Hesh

Huh, I thought this was sprite-based. Is this game a remake of Street Fighter II in the SF4 engine?

Neoxon

Huh, I thought this was sprite-based. Is this game a remake of Street Fighter II in the SF4 engine?
Only the first-person mode uses SFIV's assets. Also, SFIV originally used a proprietary Dimps engine. It was the 3DS re-release that used MT Framework (mobile). I'd assume that most of the work of porting the SFIV assets to MT Framework was already done thanks to the 3DS version of SSFIV, so it made Capcom's lives easier for this game.

That still raises the question of why Capcom didn't opt to use SFV's assets (since the Switch is UE4-friendly), but it could be a Sony-related reason (they paid for the creation of the SFV assets). This is pure speculation on my part, of course.

zenspider

So I'm actually curious. Does anyone who has been following this game closely know what exactly the differences are between this and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?

I can't say anything definitive, but according to Justin Wong and some othet pros tweeting out, the frame data is different, combos are more lenient, and throws (same input as SF2) are tech-able.

zenspider

From what was shown you can switch (ugh) between the original CPSII sprites and the HD Remix assets. 1st person modes is obviously another animal.

duckroll

Just seemed like a rather mundane thing to get excited about, and counter-intuitive on a portable, but I digress.

A 50 dollar re-release of an ancient retro game with graphic modes of the original as well as the 10 buck HD release from years back is a rather mundane thing to get excited about.

FSLink

Banned
A 50 dollar re-release of an ancient retro game with graphic modes of the original as well as the 10 buck HD release from years back is a rather mundane thing to get excited about.

It would have been worth getting excited about if it had the original Super Turbo as an option. There really isn't any definitive console port at the moment. The best option is either the Dreamcast version or HD Remix with no old school backgrounds.

Capcom can't be that stupid can they?

They did release Street Fighter V without an arcade mode. So yea, they can be that stupid sometimes.

It would have been worth getting excited about if it had the original Super Turbo as an option. There really isn't any definitive console port at the moment. The best option is either the Dreamcast version or HD Remix with no old school backgrounds.

God damn, give FSLink a trophy. He really gets it! *Bro fist*

duckroll

Not really. I mean that's missing the point of my post. It isn't that this isn't an interesting game, but that in the larger scheme of things, it's a "nothing" release to most people. The ones excited about this are fans who are more likely to be collectors, and hence a physical version would be exciting to them either way. A physical release not being exciting to him is no different from the game itself probably not being exciting to the mass market.

i-Jest

That's why the PSP GO really lit the gaming world on Fire, while the Vita was a step back huh?

As far as I'm concerned, people just aren't ready for a strictly all digital playing box or block in the console space. While preferences for these things have changed and will increasingly become a norm, you gotta acknowledge physical media for games still commands enough demand that they're the preference for many still.

I myself am a mixed bag of nuts when it comes to digital and physical games, especially on Vita. The majority of my collection is digital but I'll get a retail physical copy if possible.

Neoxon

Doesn't look great, but it's obviously hard to judge from a snippet.

I'd rather get a port of USFIV, honestly. I still fire it up on 3DS from time to time.
I mean, Capcom's mostly moved on to SFV as far as newer SF games go, & USFIV doesn't have that much retro appeal (the game's basically dead outside of Japanese arcades). At least SFII has said retro appeal, which is likely what compelled Capcom to make a final updated version of it for the Switch.

Top Bottom