• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

I preordered and I'll be picking it up today. I already have an 8BitDo SFC30 pad ready. I'm also eyeing that HORI Fight Pad for the Switch that's coming soon.

I am kind of a fighting game junkie..

I know it's bare bones, but.. it's rebalanced.. and there's enough in there for me to have fun with it in two player mode... which is what I would mostly play with it.

Dreamwriter said:
Not one review, not even Eurogamer's negative review, said anything about dropped frames. You sure you aren't just seeing the crappy stilted HD animation as dropped frames?
Didn't they keep the same animations from OG Street Fighter II? They just changed the sprites, right?
Change the animations and it wouldn't really be or play like SF:II.
Yeah, but the artists they used for the HD art were comic book artists, not animators, so they made each frame perfectly sharp with almost no motion blur even for very fast, large motions (and when they had motion blur, they tried to minimize it to make the exact frame more noticeable to tournament level players who use frame timing). This makes the HD animations look stilted and choppy, though they are the same number of frames as the classic mode (classic animations did have motion blur so look a lot more smooth).

Yeah, but the artists they used for the HD art were comic book artists, not animators, so they made each frame perfectly sharp with almost no motion blur even for very fast, large motions. This makes the HD animations look stilted and choppy, though they are the same number of frames as the classic mode (classic animations did have motion blur so look a lot more smooth).

Ah, so they didn't draw action sprites.

kingbean

This game feels super easy compared to what I remember on my snes.

Took a while to get used to the slow down after each special move, but I guess it's got a certain charm.

Still can't get a raging demon to come out though.

Has Capcom said anything about Way of the Hado originally being intended for Wii? Because it sure seems that way. It uses assets from SFIV, which released during that era.

playXray

I really, really want to buy this game, and I am very excited. But that price tag...

At £25 it would been a bit steep, but I would definitely have bought it. £35... man, it's just too much.

Sapiens

Has Capcom said anything about Way of the Hado originally being intended for Wii? Because it sure seems that way. It uses assets from SFIV, which released during that era.

If they have the balls to charge us 40 trump bucks for those Bangladeshi sweat shop sprites drawn by their very best high school artists, then I wouldn't be surprised.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a holdover from then. There was a similar minigame in Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Zafir

Meh.

If they'd have priced it at £20 or something, I'd have grabbed it.

£35 though? Haaaaaaahahahaha.

I went for Disgaea 5 instead.

is there any options to switch the sprites to regular SSF2T? or are you stuck with the Udon oddity?

USSF2-1.jpg

lupinko

This is a bad package because:

- It's not a proper port of ST
- no Old characters
- boring additions of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken, looks like they didn't do much like compared to Evil Ryu in SF4.
- overpriced
- it's not even a port of HD Remix which is even sadder

The Hermit

This is a bad package because:

- It's not a proper port of ST
- no Old characters
- boring additions of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken, looks like they didn't do much like compared to Evil Ryu in SF4.
- overpriced
- it's not even a port of HD Remix which is even sadder

I think they improved upon HD remix, especially the music and the some minor graphical changes.

Also I like lp+lk grab and tech, but that is a personal opinion.

Filter

Well I'm enjoying it anyway. I'm at #2 ranked Deejay at the moment (all down hill from here).

The pro controller d-pad is a pain to play with, I might look into doing a pad hacked arcade stick with an 8bitdo controller.

You don't need to throw with Lp+lk, like I've seen people say on here. You can just throw like in normal sf2.

Game is great fun IMO. I'm getting a lot more enjoyment out of it than plenty of recent full priced games, so the money is worth it for me. If you don't really like sf2 then of course it won't be worth the money.
Personally I trust the average reviewers opinion on fighting games as far as I can throw them.

Quesa

Well I'm enjoying it anyway. I'm at #2 ranked Deejay at the moment (all down hill from here).

The pro controller d-pad is a pain to play with, I might look into doing a pad hacked arcade stick with an 8bitdo controller.

You don't need to throw with Lp+lk, like I've seen people say on here. You can just throw like in normal sf2.

Game is great fun IMO. I'm getting a lot more enjoyment out of it than plenty of recent full priced games, so the money is worth it for me. If you don't really like sf2 then of course it won't be worth the money.
Personally I trust the average reviewers opinion on fighting games as far as I can throw them.

What region are you in? Haven't been able to get online at all here in the US.

I'm seriously baffled, still, at the LP+LK to grab and tech. It actually changes core mechanics for a good portion of the cast while adding nothing. Super Turbo had grab softeners that would trigger when you did a grab command of the same type as you were being thrown. Having techs in SFII removes strategies from certain characters that were essential for their game.

Play Ken? No more throw loops for you. Dhalsim? Nope, you can't get tricky with instant air drills and slides into noogie. Play Ryu and have a solid zoning game? Well, your choice of 4 throw buttons (MP, HP, MK, HK, plus backwards variants of all of those) is now down to two, and they can be teched, leading to no advantage to any player.

Edit: Turns out, throws have been reworked to be as they were in ST, just with techs instead of softeners. One of my major complains about the changes are gone.

Filter

I'm seriously baffled, still, at the LP+LK to grab and tech. It actually changes core mechanics for a good portion of the cast while adding nothing. Super Turbo had grab softeners that would trigger when you did a grab command of the same type as you were being thrown. Having techs in SFII removes strategies from certain characters that were essential for their game.

Play Ken? No more throw loops for you. Dhalsim? Nope, you can't get tricky with instant air drills and slides into noogie. Play Ryu and have a solid zoning game? Well, your choice of 4 throw buttons (MP, HP, MK, HK, plus backwards variants of all of those) is now down to two, and they can be teched, leading to no advantage to any player.

You don't need to press Lp+lk to throw. Where did you hear that? I'm doing deejay throws with the usual mp button or hk button.
It is weird getting used to techs instead of the normal flipping out of grabs and taking half damage that was in ST.
I'm pretty sure the throw loops you are talking about, like kens, balrog and blanka's came from successful grabs tho, not the old technical flip out.

You don't need to press Lp+lk to throw. Where did you hear that? I'm doing deejay throws with the usual mp button or hk button.
It is weird getting used to techs instead of the normal flipping out of grabs and taking half damage that was in ST.
I'm pretty sure the throw loops you are talking about, like kens, balrog and blanka's came from successful grabs tho, not the old technical flip out.

I thought grabs were LP+LK? Did that change from earlier builds?

Also, the loops were from grabs, but since you can tech now, there is no way to keep the loop going outside of hoping your opponent doesn't tech.

Filter

I thought grabs were LP+LK? Did that change from earlier builds?

Also, the loops were from grabs, but since you can tech now, there is no way to keep the loop going outside of hoping your opponent doesn't tech.

Nope you can grab normally, no need to press Lp+lk. I almost didn't buy it because I saw you saying this earlier. Grab/attack option selects are such a huge part of the game, that changing the way grabs are done would probably have ruined the game for me.

I'm not too bothered by techs in this.

f@luS

More than a member.
Whoever plays this in HD is out of his/her mind, those HD characters are an abomination that make the game look like a cheap flash game
I can play old school on the go. But on tv classic is absolutely vomiting. Impossible to play on my 65"

Whoever plays this in HD is out of his/her mind, those HD characters are an abomination that make the game look like a cheap flash game

It was sort of cool in 2008 but I agree, they are half the standard they should have been at which really lets them down, plus some HD sprites animate funny or have a shake to them which is just sloppy work.

Nope you can grab normally, no need to press Lp+lk. I almost didn't buy it because I saw you saying this earlier. Grab/attack option selects are such a huge part of the game, that changing the way grabs are done would probably have ruined the game for me.

I'm not too bothered by techs in this.

Well, shoot... Nobody has talked about it since the reveal that I thought it was left that way. Thank you for correcting me.

RPGam3r

The problem with rating based on price is two fold; one person's overpriced is anothers cheap, and a price drop later won't cause the game to get better rating. Is the game good or bad?

I did the GameXplain review of Ultra Street Fighter II, so I can try to answer some questions if anyone has some. I'm not a hardcore or competitive Street Fighter player by any means, but I'm not totally clueless either (like, I know Ultra has a different set of balance changes than HD Remix, like the ability to tech throws).

Happy to report that the online is pretty dang smooth! Just tested it following the patch finally dropping and yeah, it's good so far. Can't fathom why Capcom kept online disabled during the review period, it only would've helped the game critically.

Obviously $40 is still a crazy price tag for this and I totally understand people not wanting to buy in at that price, but the game is solid regardless of it. It's a great representation of Street Fighter II, whatever that's worth to you.

I did the GameXplain review of Ultra Street Fighter II, so I can try to answer some questions if anyone has some. I'm not a hardcore or competitive Street Fighter player by any means, but I'm not totally clueless either (like, I know Ultra has a different set of balance changes than HD Remix, like the ability to tech throws).

Happy to report that the online is pretty dang smooth! Just tested it following the patch finally dropping and yeah, it's good so far. Can't fathom why Capcom kept online disabled during the review period, it only would've helped the game critically.

Obviously $40 is still a crazy price tag for this and I totally understand people not wanting to buy in at that price, but the game is solid regardless of it. It's a great representation of Street Fighter II, whatever that's worth to you.

Thanks for this, been wondering how the online is; the sole reason I'd even consider this. Human opponent streetfighter is the best. Are there many players in the lobby yet?

When playing in the classic mode, how do you change the border?

If you mean how can you remove the border, you can't, the classic game had a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than wide screen so the classic mode does too. Otherwise they would have had to have zoomed in, cutting off the top and/or bottom of the screen, or stretched it horizontally, making things look extra wide, or a combination of the two. And that kinda goes against the point of using classic graphics.

Thanks for this, been wondering how the online is; the sole reason I'd even consider this. Human opponent streetfighter is the best. Are there many players in the lobby yet?

Yeah, I had no problem finding opponents even 30 minutes after the patch went live. Both casual and ranked. There aren't any shared lobbies/spectating options from what I can tell, just basic 1v1 lobbies.

Yes hi I have a question, are you related in any shape or form to the poster above you?

I'll admit, this took me a second. I had no idea what you meant! But no, I'm not related to MaverickHunterX in any way other than hating them for stealing the username I would've picked had it not already been taken. ;)

Yeah, I had no problem finding opponents even 30 minutes after the patch went live. Both casual and ranked. There aren't any shared lobbies/spectating options from what I can tell, just basic 1v1 lobbies.

I'll admit, this took me a second. I had no idea what you meant! But no, I'm not related to MaverickHunterX in any way other than hating them for stealing the username I would've picked had it not already been taken. ;)

Haha cool, I debated explaining in my post what it was about but that would have taken the fun away :D

Anyways, good to know about the online, this might me consider buying the game.

Or maybe not

Top Bottom