• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
To a casual Street Fighter fan like me, it looks virtually indistinguishable other than the 2 palette swaps and the unplayable new mode.
Is this not an accurate statement? Looks like they removed some online features, ability to play original Super Turbo, and added some new characters/balance changes/Hado minigame. But it's still the same base game it looks like.

What separates it are that just about all of the changes made to the characters in HD Remix are gone, but others changes/balances have been made in their place, and there's some game play additions like teching (getting out of) throws. It also has a completely different soundtrack, voice actors from SF4 and SF5, and you can unlock titles to use online like in recent SFs as well.

And if you're not playing as him, you will hate Violent Ken so much. XD

Gren

-This game needs some filtering options for the classic visuals badly. A scanline filter would do wonders for it. But that said, there is something awesome about switching everything to the classic setting and going online. It's nostalgic fun at its best. Reminds me of the good times I had with SF2 Turbo when it first hit XBLA years ago.
Does it use any kind of blur filter or antialiasing? That's imo far, far worse than having no filters at all.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does it use any kind of blur filter or antialiasing? That's imo far, far worse than having no filters at all.

Nope, looks pretty much untouched. If you like your pixels...pixelated, you'll like it.

NateDrake

I try not to look too much into daily Amazon sales charts, but I do think USFII will sell decently. Certainly more than the majority of GAF thinks it will.

It'll sell well. It won't be an NPD chart topper or anything, but it won't be the bomb GAF wants it to be, either.

I am buying this because I never actually bought Street Fighter 2 in the 20+ years it has been out. I have played it in arcades and friends houses but that was years ago. I recently got injustice 2 and will definitely be picking up Tekken 7 next week and those two games have reignited my love for a good fighter and I really want to give Street Fighter 2 a proper chance.

Edit: And I need a decent game on the switch. I am not really into legend of zelda and I already played mario kart 8 on the wii u.

mrk8885

Banned
Am I excited about the price? No of course not.

But I'm really jonesing to play SF2 on my switch...and while I do agree it's overpriced I can afford it just fine. Doesn't mean you should overpay just because you can afford it and I usually don't, but I'll make an exception here.

kunonabi

What separates it are that just about all of the changes made to the characters in HD Remix are gone, but others changes/balances have been made in their place, and there's some game play additions like teching (getting out of) throws. It also has a completely different soundtrack, voice actors from SF4 and SF5, and you can unlock titles to use online like in recent SFs as well.

And if you're not playing as him, you will hate Violent Ken so much. XD

That's almost has bad as the lack of a usable dpad. Those are only for the Remix sprites right?

mebizzle

Price is too high and the type of product that this is (aimed and hardcore capcom fighting fans) is for the wrong platform really, unless theyre trying to aim for people who havent been gaming since the SNES.

That being said, I'm in for it, I know what I'm getting but I love this series and will enjoy the shit out of it. Wish it was up at 12 on eshop tho :(

Price is too high and the type of product that this is (aimed and hardcore capcom fighting fans) is for the wrong platform really, unless theyre trying to aim for people who havent been gaming since the SNES.

That being said, I'm in for it, I know what I'm getting but I love this series and will enjoy the shit out of it. Wish it was up at 12 on eshop tho :(

Oookay. And what is the right platform? The PS4 where SF5 has been struggling and is only starting to hit a stride? The XBO for reasons? Unless you're going to suggest PC maybe, I don't know how you can make that statement

Thoraxes

I mean, the bolded was easily part of their pitches from events.

pnQE0po.jpg

Call me crazy but i am glad i bought it.

Purexed

Banned
Picked this up from my local game shop tonight, and the first thing that bugged the hell out of me were the dropped frames (undocked) all over the place in Arcade mode. Those of you expecting a smooth 60 fps all the time will be disappointed. Let's hope they patch up the performance.

The online function is blurred out citing a software update was needed, so I'm hoping that's live by tomorrow morning.

Picked this up from my local game shop tonight, and the first thing that bugged the hell out of me were the dropped frames (undocked) all over the place in Arcade mode. Those of you expecting a smooth 60 fps all the time will be disappointed. Let's hope they patch up the performance.

The online function is blurred out citing a software update was needed, so I'm hoping that's live by tomorrow morning.
Not one review, not even Eurogamer's negative review, said anything about dropped frames. You sure you aren't just seeing the crappy stilted HD animation as dropped frames?

Not one review, not even Eurogamer's negative review, said anything about dropped frames. You sure you aren't just seeing the crappy stilted HD animation as dropped frames?
Didn't they keep the same animations from OG Street Fighter II? They just changed the sprites, right?
Change the animations and it wouldn't really be or play like SF:II.

Weils

Neo Member
pnQE0po.jpg

Call me crazy but i am glad i bought it.

Quite disappointed to see the negative reviews surrounding the game. However, this doesn't stop me from getting it since I will judge on the game performance once the physical copy is in my hands. To be honest, I haven't touched SF2 Turbo when it came out online years ago, so I have no idea on the similarities/differences between this game and Final Challengers.

f@luS

More than a member.
Canceled my amazon to do that South Africa order

It's so easy to switch country account that I should have made multiple already (eu/us/jp). I switch my JP one within 20sec forth and back

32e on the South African store. I want to go fully digital for the switch beside One card game staying inside (Zelda currently ). And I saw that ARMS is 48e on the South African store as well. Might go that way (60e/$ on eu/us store or 50e physically here )

zenspider

Like I said in the other thread; I had absolutely no qualms with Super Bomberman R's price which was relentlessly criticized, and even I can't defend the pricing of this game. I would've bought it in a heartbeat if it had a reasonable price.

Same here. Especially with a nice collection of 2D Neo Geo fighters in the eShop.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm starting to believe the rumors that Nintendo doesn't allow charging different prices for physical and digital, that the only way Sega got away with it was by putting keychains in the box so they could claim it had a higher value.
USF2 Is €10 more as physical than digital here. €49.99 vs €39.99.

So I'm guessing it's not coming out on eshop any time soon in the U.S. despite it being 26 May everywhere except Hawaii and Alaska, huh?

Honestly, I bet the reception would of been more positive if the game was priced more reasonably. It's like charging $40 for port of Mortal Kombat 2 with a few extras sprinkled here and there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Canceled my amazon to do that South Africa order

It's so easy to switch country account that I should have made multiple already (eu/us/jp). I switch my JP one within 20sec forth and back

32e on the South African store. I want to go fully digital for the switch beside One card game staying inside (Zelda currently ). And I saw that ARMS is 48e on the South African store as well. Might go that way (60e/$ on eu/us store or 50e physically here )
Thanks for the ARMS info, I will leave my eshop account on South Africa until it releases.

f@luS

More than a member.
Thanks for the ARMS info, I will leave my eshop account on South Africa until it releases.
Yep that's nice

Now I have 3 account as I used
My French , US (I keep them both as I switch often) and my Japanese that is my dummy one to switch (Kamiko on jp Store I bought and now sf2 on South Africa. Will surely take arms on South Africa as well if I like the beta test )
Love my digital switch. Now I have 14 games including 2 neogeo

And as for neogeo (garou) old sprites are ok in handheld mode but on tv it's absolutely disgusting. It needs HD sprites. Anyway I like them. Game is ok. For 30e it's a convenient switch fighting game.
I just wonder if I play with 2 joycon handheld it's impossible to have both light medium high punch and kick and triple for both of them. Need to sacrifice one

Top Bottom