• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

The game is probably only this expensive because Capcpom is broke right now and need the cash sooner rather than later. But if they had priced it right it would had made them a lot more money in the long run.

L Thammy

The game is probably only this expensive because Capcpom is broke right now and need the cash sooner rather than later. But if they had priced it right it would had made them a lot more money in the long run.

Aren't they publicly traded? Can you really have that much problem getting money when you're a corporation?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people defending the price back when this was announced was honestly one of the most baffling things I've ever read on Gaf. I know "there's a defense force" for everything is a running joke but holy shit.

This seems like a pretty cool package for casual Street Fighter fans. Portable SFII should be pretty great.

Really should have been $30 (or even $20) though. $40 is a tough pill to swallow.

Of course, I took the pill and my copy should be here on Friday lol

Aren't they publicly traded? Can you really have that much problem getting money when you're a corporation?

They don't have the cash on hand currently. During the last few years there was strong implication that their shareholders wanted them to be purchased by a bigger corporation. The fact that Sony needed to step in to fund SFV (their flagship fighting game) and that game is still lacking very basic features more than a year later should be telling. There's also the fact that they delayed RE7's DLC, plus MvCI looks like a mobile game and yet it's releasing on consoles. Only Monster Hunter can really save them now.

Jawmuncher

They don't have the cash on hand currently. During the last few years there was strong implication that their shareholders wanted them to be purchased by a bigger corporation. The fact that Sony needed to step in to fund SFV (their flagship fighting game) and that game is still lacking very basic features more than a year later should be telling. There's also the fact that they delayed RE7's DLC, plus MvCI looks like a mobile game and yet it's releasing on consoles. Only Monster Hunter can really save them now.

SFV was going to happen, but Sony money and timeline got it made sooner and released in the state it was. Though that doesn't excuse the current state they're in.
RE7 DLC was outsourced and came back to capcom in crap quality. So they took what was made and are refining it to keep the fan good will they have garnered.
RE7 as a whole was profitable even if missing expectations. Part of its budget was making the RE engine itself.

Capcom I wouldn't say are in any sort of Rut, they're just being extremely risk adversed. Not wanting to waste tons of money on stuff like phanta rhei and deep down. They can't afford to cancel games with millions sunk in.

Sayad

Apparently the game is selling really well right now, and the high price wont hurt the long run sales if the price get dropped later on. As shitty as it may be, Capcom may have made the right business decision by exploiting the console's lack of games with that price tag.

MrCarter

Oh Capcom. This port was never going to do well, especially at that hugely inflated price with no value whatsoever. They really need to re-structure thier management team for the SF series, starting from the very top, because they clearly don't know what they are doing.

SFV was going to happen, but Sony money and timeline got it made sooner and released in the state it was. Though that doesn't excuse the current state they're in.
RE7 DLC was outsourced and came back to capcom in crap quality. So they took what was made and are refining it to keep the fan good will they have garnered.
RE7 as a whole was profitable even if missing expectations. Part of its budget was making the RE engine itself.

Capcom I wouldn't say are in any sort of Rut, they're just being extremely risk adversed. Not wanting to waste tons of money on stuff like phanta rhei and deep down. They can't afford to cancel games with millions sunk in.

It was originally slated to get released by 2018 at the earliest, so I'm not sure that's exactly indicative they're doing well financially. The RE7 issues are sound but it doesn't look good when you stack it up with all the other problems. Compared to other major third-party Japanese pubs, they're probably in the worst position.

Jawmuncher

It was slated to get released by 2018 at the earliest, so I'm not sure that's exactly indicative they're doing well financially. The RE7 issues are sound but it doesn't look good when you stack it up with all the other problems. Compared to other major third-party Japanese pubs, they're probably in the worst position.

I won't disagree there. They definitely have a bit of work ahead of them.

RyudBoy

It actually has no buttons at all, preventing all video games from being played on it

Similarly, all FPSes for consoles have been cancelled because designers have just realized there is no mouse

No need to be a smart ass. Playing fighting games with an analog stick is torture.

L Thammy

It was originally slated to get released by 2018 at the earliest, so I'm not sure that's exactly indicative they're doing well financially. The RE7 issues are sound but it doesn't look good when you stack it up with all the other problems. Compared to other major third-party Japanese pubs, they're probably in the worst position.

I think the bigger issues with Capcom were:

1. their existing engine was poorly suited to current gen and the development of their new engine has been totally messed up

2. Capcom over the past couple years had a bad habit of tying up a lot of their resources in single products that have had no chance of recouping their money

3. games are getting more complex across the board, making Street Fighter V a much larger undertaking than when they were shitting them out in the early 2000s

I don't think the problem is that the CEO of Capcom is opening his wallet and moths are coming out.

I don't know man...this game is way more fun than SF IV or SF V. Way more fun than Injustice 2 or Mortal Kombat.
I'm not a fighting game pro...maybe that's why. I've played this game on the SNES against my brother. Not many moves or combos but that's what I love. I get my ass kicked in Injustice 2 or SFV.
I love those games but they got way too complicated imo. That's why I think SF II is still the best game in the series. Easy to pick up and learn.
I really can't wait to try the online MP.

Son Of D

I like the idea someone had of $15 digital with $20 retail (maybe throw in a code for an OST sample or something to "justify" the extra $5).

This. I posted this a couple of pages back, but there were no responses:

Here is the Violent Ken conundrum:
You are 3/4 screen away from Violent Ken and he throws a LP hadouken. How do you respond?
Neutral jump? Violent Ken does a medium command dash and HP Shoryukens you out of the air.
Jump forward? Violent Ken does a medium command dash and LP Shoryukens you out of the air.
Block? Violent Ken does a medium command dash and tick throws you.
Take the hit? Violent Ken does a medium command dash and walks up to finish a combo.
Jump back? You land on the fireball.

Violent Ken is broken as fuck, but I count this as his "special character" debut, like when Evil Ryu (or motherflippin' Shin Akuma) was broken in Alpha 2. V. Ken is worse than Evil Ryu was at his launch.

people defending the price back when this was announced was honestly one of the most baffling things I've ever read on Gaf. I know "there's a defense force" for everything is a running joke but holy shit.

Folks have different priorities. For some, the important thing is it's SF2 and all else falls away. I don't agree, but there it is.

I would gladly pay $60 for Alpha Anthology on Switch

Maybe if this sells? But it will probably flop

This is what I'm saying. I miss the Alpha series every day. Remains my favorite Street Fighter.

Gren

Violent Ken is broken as fuck, but I count this as his "special character" debut, like when Evil Ryu (or motherflippin' Shin Akuma) was broken in Alpha 2. V. Ken is worse than Evil Ryu was at his launch.
What was so good about Evil Ryu in A2? I had thought he was actually a worse version because of the health detriment.

Evil Ryu seems pretty busted in this game too. It seems as though his HK is special and super cancellable. Far HK poke into HP Hadouken is like, 35% damage.

What was so good about Evil Ryu in A2? I had thought he was actually a worse version because of the health detriment.

Ryu was ahead of him in pure kit, thanks to things like his wakeup DP and fireballs, but Evil Ryu could do some vicious Custom stuff and had great damage.

Effect

Not sure if this was ever asked but curious about this. Has Capcom said anything about supporting this game after its release? Updates to add anything to it? Patches? Etc?

Toki767

This was a hard nostalgia grab.

I get that Street Fighter 2 was super popular in the SNES days, but unlike Konami and Bomberman there have been way better improvements and versions to the franchise since the SNES days.

This was a hard nostalgia grab.

I get that Street Fighter 2 was super popular in the SNES days, but unlike Konami and Bomberman there have been way better improvements and versions to the franchise since the SNES days.

Agreed.

Can;t wait to play against you and Falling Edge Friday night.

Sillution

So I apologize if this has been answered before but it seems like I have yet to find a solid answer. Does this include regular SS2T? I know with it being Ultra character balancing will be different with that but is there a SS2T mode in addition to the regular USF2?

robot

I love Capcom - buy all their fighters, including their original CPS2 arcade boards, but this is a hard pass for me.

They were probably better off re-releasing Hyper Street Fighter Anniversary Edition for the Switch instead of this. It's a much better package that features iterations of characters from every version of SF2. I guess I can see them thinking the "HD" graphics might be a better sell to the casual market but it seems like a step backwards compared to that. And at $40 they are absolutely insane.

So I apologize if this has been answered before but it seems like I have yet to find a solid answer. Does this include regular SS2T? I know with it being Ultra character balancing will be different with that but is there a SS2T mode in addition to the regular USF2?
Nope. No Super Turbo.

I still don't get why this game was made. Switch has no d-pad, right?
Eh? The Joycons have directional buttons that work better than many d-pads (including the Pro Controller d-pad). I, however, am getting an 8bitdo SNES controller, its d-pad is supposed to be quite good.

Trojan X

Banned
Yup. THis is the results I was expecting so I am not disappointed. The game is daylight robbery. The game is only worth it if it was sold for 1/3 the original price.

It's interesting to contrast this release with Puyo Puyo Tetris, which is a case study in how to take something familiar that feels absolutely essential to a Switch library in some form, is a natural fit for out-of-the-box multiplayer and online play, but seems grossly overpriced relative to present-day value perception of the software we already know (and can get elsewhere), and make it not only worth the cost of entry but come off as a total steal once you actually get your hands on it. There was probably a way to make the $40 price point work if Capcom really wanted to make a serious case for it with embellishments that mattered, but it's clear that the fundamental premise that you really just can't screw up—SF2, multiplayer on the go, online—had everybody going "Yes, but not at more than $15." It's attractive, but it's competing head-on with expectations for the Virtual Console.

As it is, I take heart in knowing that Capcom has an established precedent on the 3DS eShop of eventually offering far steeper discounts than we usually see on Nintendo platforms. I'll probably put $10 on this eventually like I did with SSF4 on 3DS, which was burdened with its own compromises and liabilities (like the ubiquity of auto-block and touch-screen shortcuts in the standard online play). I almost think the $40 starting price is deliberately there for Capcom to use gradual price drops and frequent discounts to squeeze out a long tail.

so are the reviews mostly complaining about the pricepoint or is the game actually terribad?because if its the former i will just buy it (have a semi decent deal on amazon)

weekev

Banned
So a 68 metacritic game is going to determine whether Capcom give support to the Switch? Will they take into account that their product is widely considered to be an average product and get their expectations in check accordingly?

So a 68 metacritic game is going to determine whether Capcom give support to the Switch? Will they take into account that their product is widely considered to be an average product and get their expectations in check accordingly?

This is the company that expected RE7 to sell 10 million copies

Top Bottom