• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

It sucks that this is how Capcom treats Switch users. In that case, I'll return the favour and not bother with this embarrassingly-priced version for now. Absolutely pathetic.

Jazzem

The game is presently unavailable on Amazon (US), so Capcom pretty much guessed it right.

Yeah, I could see this well due to the nostalgia value SF2 still holds, coupled with the wake of the Switch's success partly attributed to tabletop multiplayer mode.

EDIT: To that, it's currently 19th on the Amazon best selling games at the moment.

Effect

When it doesn't sell well, the question is if they'll use it as an excuse to drop all Switch support. Hope not. This is/was the only Capcom switch game announced, right?

Who knows what Capcom will do. It's not like Capcom uses good sales to keep support going. From what I remember Super Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS sold well and was a launch game and there was nothing after that. Resident Evil on the 3DS (both games) sold well and it got nothing after that as far as RE goes. Monster Hunter sells amazingly on the 3DS yet there is talk about putting it on the PS4 now instead of just the Switch or maybe not even on the Switch!? Capcom makes no damn sense a lot of the time. I still don't understand how SF5 released without a damn arcade mode of all things.

dno_1966

Apologies for going off topic but is price being factored into review scores prevalent in other forms of art/entertainment?

It sucks that this is how Capcom treats Switch users. In that case, I'll return the favour and not bother with this embarrassingly-priced version for now. Absolutely pathetic.

It's a joke that the only game Capcom has for the Switch in the first year of its release is a quick port of Street Fighter II.

Even WB Games is outdoing them, having prepared a remarkably good conversion of Lego City for early April and Lego Worlds on the way, and Disney's version of Cars 3 (Cars 2 was actually good!) is out next week I think.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't usually boycott games but I absolutely will not buy this at the current price. It's ridiculous.

I really want an SF2 title since there are none on PS4 (my only other current console), but I won't accept this.

Ridley327

Apologies for going off topic but is price being factored into review scores prevalent in other forms of art/entertainment?

Not at all, but other forms of media don't run into the same problems that video games do when it comes to price appreciation over time in the first place.

Yeah what's up with that? Guessed what right?

Probably that they'll sell their allocation of copies easily at $40. I think having a boxed version of a SNES revival game would also cater to the collectors who are willing to pay more.

Probably not too much of a surprise given that Puyo Puyo Tetris sold 76% of copies on Switch despite costing £35 (was £20 on PS4) and launching on the same weekend as Mario Kart 8.

Will be interesting to see how Minecraft fares.

Effect

I think I've seen it used when looking at DVDs and Blu Rays. The quality of the video, sound, extras, etc might result in a different score depending on the price. A budget release of $10 isn't going to be looked at harshly compared to releasing the same movie or show for $30.

Q8D3vil

Releasing this with this crazy price between Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 is mind boggling. But thats capcom for you this generation.

I don't think this was a good fit for Switch, tbh. Especially with the effort they put into it. Just a really bizarre decision. If they wanted to bring HD Remix to Switch, just do it for $10, not some $40 port with 2 characters and some modes no one will care about. They could have and should have done their homework.

Yeah, that's true. I'm not convinced Street Fighter is a good fit for anything anymore. SFV is the worst experience I've ever had with a game, and still went into this with a very open mind. Think I'll just give up on the series for now.

Releasing this with this crazy price between Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 is mind boggling. But thats capcom for you this generation.

Not to mention, ARMS comes out in less than a month. Street Fighter does have the pre-established name value, but I'd really rather wait for that and Tekken 7 if I want to get my fighting game fix.

Yeah, that's true. I'm not convinced Street Fighter is a good fit for anything anymore. SFV is the worst experience I've ever had with a game, and still went into this with a very open mind. Think I'll just give up on the series for now.

If they did an Ultra Street Fighter IV port, that'd have been awesome. A collection of Super Turbo, Third Strike, and the Alpha series would have been great too. Capcom have been making all the wrong moves with the series lately, but if they played their cards differently they wouldn't be getting themselves into these messes. SF deserves so much better than all this.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Despite the price issue, Gameblog.fr and Gamekult were positive about this game. They gave it a 8,5 and 7 respectively.

I want this game but the price is too high and I usually never complain about price! I even thought Bomberman was good for its price.
This game is a definite wait for sale for me.

I'll just pick up KOF '99 tomorrow.

It just costs too much for what is 2 extra palette swap characters and some mini game I won't play more than 10 minutes. A few more characters and I would have bitten the bullet for it.

Really disappointed that this is the best Capcom had to offer for Switch. Looks like an overpriced waste of time and I kind of hope that sales reflect that for them.

VariantX

I don't think this was a good fit for Switch, tbh. Especially with the effort they put into it. Just a really bizarre decision. If they wanted to bring HD Remix to Switch, just do it for $10, not some $40 port with 2 characters and some modes no one will care about. They could have and should have done their homework.

I think people probably would have excited for a rebalanced or tweaked A3 or 3S, since they are newer and have more complex systems, have a larger selection of characters, and they haven't been ported nearly as much as SF2 has.

If you're someone who doesn't care about online play there are already tons of Neo Geo/SNK fighting games on the Switch for you.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's worth noting online isn't functional yet

Yup. And props to the sites waiting for the online to be enabled before adding scores. It's too bad, though, because I'd like to cancel my pre-order if the net code is garbage.

Neoxon

I get that the launch for SFV wasn't so hot, but the game isn't that bad.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Doesnt help that ARMS is coming up as well on the same system and look 10x more interesting.

This could have been a million seller on the eShop over time if they dropped it at launch for less than 20 bucks. Instead greedy Capcom made sure that this would bomb.

They really shouldnt have invested in that stupid FPS Hado Mode and just release the game earlier and cheaper.

Doesnt help that ARMS is coming up as well on the same system and look 10x more interesting.

This could have been a million seller on the eShop over time if they dropped it at launch for less than 20 bucks. Instead greedy Capcom made sure that this would bomb.

They really shouldnt have invested in that stupid FPS Hado Mode and just release the game earlier and cheaper.

This game will not bomb at its current price. If Amazon is of any indication, it will sell out its initial shipment at the current price and possibly through its second before Capcom drops the price to 29.99.

Peltz

Yea, considering all the Neo Geo fighting games on Switch, this game does come across as a cashgrab. Even though it's had more work put into it than those Neo Geo emulation releases, none of that work, other than online play, really adds value to the underlying package in my humble opinion.

I don't HAVE to own another rendition of SFII.... certainly not for $40. I have a feeling this one will be like $8 in a year or two.

The sad part is this is going to bomb (deservedly so) and then Capcom will use this as an excuse as to why they won't bring games over to the Switch.

"We brought one of our biggest games in the Switch and the sales just weren't there"

I love SF2 but there's no way I pay more than $15 for it. $50 CAD is offensive.

Hero

I would've picked this up for 20 dollars probably. Not at 40.

Really hard to justify 40 bucks when SNK is supporting the Switch with their fighters for less than 10 bucks.

Top Bottom