• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

It's a joke that the only game Capcom has for the Switch in the first year of its release is a quick port of Street Fighter II.

Yeah, and this is why it's so insulting. I wouldn't mind something like an updated version of Hyper SF2 with more content being added later and a decent price. Then Capcom can use a similar model for the other SF games like the Alpha series and 3. Good ports of them would go a long way to try and build support.

Even WB Games is outdoing them, having prepared a remarkably good conversion of Lego City for early April and Lego Worlds on the way, and Disney's version of Cars 3 (Cars 2 was actually good!) is out next week I think.

I hope Capcom wakes up and tries to follow examples like these.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Capcom is taking advantage of Switch's limited library and lack of fighting games. I doubt they'd put this product out at $40 if Switch users had other options for their fighting game fix.

Switch is still in it's launch period. This is gonna do decent numbers due to lack of retail releases. What I find baffling is why this is the game they chose to port.

Flatout at this point any RE remaster would have over performed by an insane degree.

Capcom is taking advantage of Switch's limited library and lack of fighting games. I doubt they'd put this product out at $40 if Switch users had other options for their fighting game fix.

In an ideal world they port TvC 😢

Lgndryhr

I hope this doesn't discourage Capcom from the Switch. This is just overpriced for me. I'll grab it if it ever becomes less than $20.

Switch is still in it's launch period. This is gonna do decent numbers due to lack of retail releases. What I find baffling is why this is the game they chose to port.

Flatout at this point any RE remaster would have over performed by an insane degree.

Agreed, but probably would take more work. I like this idea because I usually play docked, but when I get too scared I could just do handheld.

Pinky

Banned
Meh, I don't care. I'm too big of a SF2 fan to skip this. I'll happily throw down $40. The value is there for me.

Neoxon

The sad part is this is going to bomb (deservedly so) and then Capcom will use this as an excuse as to why they won't bring games over to the Switch.

"We brought one of our biggest games in the Switch and the sales just weren't there"

I love SF2 but there's no way I pay more than $15 for it. $50 CAD is offensive.
I hope this doesn't discourage Capcom from the Switch. This is just overpriced for me. I'll grab it if it ever becomes less than $20.
The sad part is that the MvCI team seems to have already written off the Switch.
I was told they have hit 1080p/60 on all versions, but they're still in the optimization process. No answers on whether Pro/Scorpio will look better or different. Kind of laughed off a Switch version but said there's nothing to announce at this time (don't get any hopes up, it seemed pretty clearly to be a no.) The producer told me the number one thing they want to avoid is another Moridoom scenario where the game stagnates because of issues they didn't foresee but players found immediately.

If they did an Ultra Street Fighter IV port, that'd have been awesome. A collection of Super Turbo, Third Strike, and the Alpha series would have been great too. Capcom have been making all the wrong moves with the series lately, but if they played their cards differently they wouldn't be getting themselves into these messes. SF deserves so much better than all this.

Yeah, absolutely. At this price, a collection would have lined up best with it. This is a series we all grew up with that they're just dragging through the mud. People justifying what they've done with the series is beyond me.

I get that the launch for SFV wasn't so hot, but the game isn't that bad.

It was to me man. There wasn't anything to do. Haven't played since last summer, never going back to it. Just ready for Tekken at this point.

My issue with reviews centering entirely around price is that it doesn't tell me anything about a game's quality a couple years after release.

I ran in to this with the 3D remake of Steel Empire. Giant walls of text to basically (and only) say 'this isn't worth $30'. Which is fine to say, if you're going to condense that point to a paragraph or something...but the review is completely worthless to someone buying that game in 2015 for $8. I had to seek out retro reviews of the genesis version to learn anything.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This game will not bomb at its current price. If Amazon is of any indication, it will sell out its initial shipment at the current price and possibly through its second before Capcom drops the price to 29.99.

Okay bomb is maybe too harsh considering they likely dont have too high of expectations. But they robbed themselves from having another SF43D situation

29,99USD pricepoint would make the game already look much better.

VariantX

The sad part is this is going to bomb (deservedly so) and then Capcom will use this as an excuse as to why they won't bring games over to the Switch.

"We brought one of our biggest games in the Switch and the sales just weren't there"

People would rightly laugh in Capcom's face if that's the line they use. Especially when right now when this is the best opportunity to sell software due to the relatively small library.

If the switch continues to do well, capcom will make games for it. No one is leaving that money on the table and it's not like they're not going to put out a monster hunter on it.

Ridley327

I don't understand why so many reviews let the price affect the x/10 score.

Because the bulk of the major content in this game is available for a far cheaper price on other platforms. It's pretty evident that including two palette swaps, a throwaway minigame and a digital artbook was not worth a $25 premium.

Shiggy

Price influences expectations. Or do you have the same expectations for a 0.99€ game on Android as for a 70€ titles on consoles? In that case, most apps would be rated 0/10 due to the lack of online play, good graphics, no button controls, no voice chat, etc.

Maybe because it released more than 8 years ago on Xbox 360 for 15 bucks and that it should be released for nearly 3 times more with for sole novelty 2 modes, one mini game and two swap colors.

Dre3001

This game is an exact port of 2008 HD remix that released on PS3 and 360 for $15. The only additions are one new character and a gimmick first person motion control mode.

The 2008 release is still fresh enough in people's mind that the $25 price increase doesn't make sense for barely any new additions.

Street Fighter 5 got hit badly in reviews for there not being enough new content to justify the price and this game seems to follow the same pattern.

Ridley327

Capcom still doesn't learn from SFV.

That's the mindboggling part about all this. People have made their voices very loud and clear about the problems that game had in terms of value, and Capcom's response is to basically do it all over again with a much older game.

vsbizarro

Banned
Of course this gonna take this kind of reviews (low scores)

It's a high coast game with parameters of a indie game.

My soul just cant afford an game like this one for this price

f@luS

More than a member.
So the basic consensus is that it's a good fighting game but just way overpriced.

$15 digital, along with a $20 retail version (more expensive to help cover those extra costs) would have been nice.
Yet it's 30 retail 40 digital. Would have gone digital for the same price I just ordered mine 28e on amazon fr

Nemesis_

I find it so strange this is such a barebones port of SF2 when somehow the 3DS was able to run SF4 and yet that isn't on Switch?

I feel like USF4 on Switch would be a better offering than SF5 on PS4. It's so frustrating.

Ridley327

I find it so strange this is such a barebones port of SF2 when somehow the 3DS was able to run SF4 and yet that isn't on Switch?

I feel like USF4 on Switch would be a better offering than SF5 on PS4. It's so frustrating.

As I understand it, Sony paid for the USF4 port on PS4, though I'm not sure if that precludes someone else paying for their own port if they wanted it on their system.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

I have a 2 copies of SF4 on 3DS and PS3, yet prefer old school Steet Fighter 2. Sprite base Street Fighter may have a bigger audience than expected, who knows?

Coulda just ported Ultra SF4 + DLC over at that price. I'll wait till it hits the bargain bin. I'm not hurting over old fighting games on Switch anyways, there are several Neo Geo games in the store already

Funny thing is, they ported the USF4 engine (MT Framework) just for that dumb mini-game.

I'm still waiting for a comprehensive changelog before I'm willing to give further opinions on this. I have not played it, but as one of the biggest ST heads in the area, this doesn't look good.

I will still buy it. I am not just buying a game here. I am bribing Capcom to make more Switch games. That's all this is.

Hey it's your money, but in my eyes that's a stupid reason to throw away 40$, think of all the other stuff you could do with that, rather than spending it on a hope basically. Hey if ya enjoy the game, great, but I'd say, for me, that's a waste, and also seems like a poor reason to buy something.

Ridley327

I'm still waiting for a comprehensive changelog before I'm willing to give further opinions on this. I have not played it, but as one of the biggest ST heads in the area, this doesn't look good.

Nintendo is having an event at Momocon on Friday, where they're bringing a bunch of games for people to try out, including this and Arms. It's amusing that their notes for the event specifically call out USF2, as if that's the game that's going to be the major draw at a place that's already holding god knows how many fighting game tournaments.

Arms is definitely a different story, as I expect that will be packed for the entire time that they're doing the event.

Coulda just ported Ultra SF4 + DLC over at that price. I'll wait till it hits the bargain bin. I'm not hurting over old fighting games on Switch anyways, there are several Neo Geo games in the store already

I wonder if PS4 has the Gen 8 (9?) exclusivity on SF4. It didn't hit X1 either.

Top Bottom