• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suairyu said:
No, I think the joke is you for trying to bring mathematical precision to subjective reviews of entertainment products that will entertain people in different amounts.

He's been brought up before - Roger Ebert uses a four-star grading system. It doesn't mean 2-stars = 5/10.
No, I think you're just a joke. And a pretty incompetent troll.

statham

Love the scores, UC3 is on my Santa list. It was already on my list without these reviews, after how awesome UC2 was. Only thing I didn't like about UC2 was the gunplay(and it wasn't even bad maybe a-/b+), and it sounds like they fixed it.

shuri

Banned
wait, now people are resorting to making shit up about possible virus infection to stop people from visiting the site of a 8/10 review?

Viral marketing gone willldddd..

It's 8/10 people, its a fucking good review!

StuBurns

Banned
Crunched said:
But the purpose of the truncated review scale is to eliminate those in-betweens. It's not like 5/5 is hiding a set of imaginary numbers. It's exactly equal to 10/10. No one should assume that a 5/5 = 9/10. That doesn't make sense.

The reason a 5/5 scale is used is to get away from the silliness of fractions of points being taken away or added, because how do you qualify that? What's the difference between a 94 or 95? Just say 100 and be done with it.

That doesn't change what the numbers literally represent.
It changes what it means to get the score. As you can tell from the scores they give, a 5/5 is not particularly rare at all, an IGN 10.0/10 is very rare.

It's like saying 1,000,000/1,000,000 is the same as a 3/3. They are both one hundred percent of the possible allocated score, but they represent two completely different things.

Pranay

Wazzim said:
Nobody can deny the fact that Uncharted 3 is more of the same, that also means more of the same good stuff but also the same flaws. That means every site giving it a 100 or 10 are joke sites and/or reviewers.

Combat and puzzles have improved

Red

DaBuddaDa said:
That's the point: what the numbers literally represent are meaningless. It's the context within each individual review scale that holds meaning.
Well, yeah. So why bother even trying to quantify a whole number as a fraction of a percent? Just use the whole number scale as a reference, and the review as the supporting argument behind the score.

StuBurns said:
It changes what it means to get the score. As you can tell from the scores they give, a 5/5 is not particularly rare at all, an IGN 10.0/10 is very rare.

It's like saying 1,000,000/1,000,000 is the same as a 3/3. They are both one hundred percent of the possible allocated score, but they represent two completely different things.
Maybe they are perceived as different things, but without context your 1mil/1mil = 3/3 do both represent a single whole part.

I disagree with the idea that 5/5 can represent something except 100%, but I think I see where you're coming from.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If someone at GiantBomb wanted to give a game a 91/100 they wouldn't use the less granular 5 star system. But they do, so we can assume they don't even want to think about it in terms of a 100-point scale.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say. They don't operate on a 100-point scale. That's the purpose of moving to 1-5. But that doesn't change the numbers, it doesn't change the math behind them. It's just an easier way to assign a score without worrying about meaningless in-between variables.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wazzim said:
Nobody can deny the fact that Uncharted 3 is more of the same, that also means more of the same good stuff but also the same flaws. That means every site giving it a 100 or 10 are joke sites and/or reviewers.

I have to agree.

Secret_Riddle said:
Uncharted 2 benefited from the "refined sequel" syndrome. The first game did most the heavy lifting, leaving the sequel with a lot of room to perfect its formula and push its limits both creatively and technically.

Arkham City is currently benefiting from the same thing. Bioshock Infinite will likely be the next example.

Uncharted 3, on the other hand, has little room to grow technically..it has to rely on its script in order to deliver an experience that is simply more enjoyable, even if it's technically very similar. Lower scores are almost entirely the norm in this stage of a franchises life, even if most still herald the entry as the franchise's best. Most recent example would be Gears 3..maybe Rock Band 3 (haven't checked this one myself). It probably has something to do with the initial impact. The post-game breathlessness, if you so please.

That Uncharted 3 is probably STILL going to hit 95 on the metacritic is a massive surprise for me. I expected lower scores..but I still expected most people to say this was the best one.

Things are funny that way. Popular trilogies tend to be that way throughout any medium (so long as the third installment actually turns out good), or any successor to a wildly successful movie/game/book/tv show..etc. It'll probably happen with The Dark Knight Rises, for example.
Holy shit, you are so right.

Gears of War 2 - 93.32%
Gears of War 3 - 91.70%

Resistance 2 - 86.71%
Resistance 3 - 84.64%

Even though both GoW3 and RE3 are LEAGUE better than the 2nd.

fuzzyreactor said:
it is illogical to like linear games, what's your prob fool

EG thinks so, and I guess calling them out on it is frowned upon.
Wazzim said:
That's wrong according to reviews and previews, hand to hand combat and puzzles are improved.

Dragon

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Just been catching up. Wow at some of the participants in this thread.

Even in your most intense, eight-out-of-ten induced fanatic delirium over a game none of you have played, I still love you GAF.

Well you're wrong though. Plenty of us have played the multi-player.

Wazzim said:

You never disappoint us

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
If someone at GiantBomb wanted to give a game a 91/100, they'd give it a 5/5, if they wanted to give it 100/100, they'd give it a 5/5. If IGN wanted to give a game a 91/100, they'd give it a 9.1, if they wanted to give it a 100/100, they'd give it a 10.0.

If someone at GiantBomb wanted to give a game a 91/100 they wouldn't use the less granular 5 star system. But they do, so we can assume they don't even want to think about it in terms of a 100-point scale.

Something is really awry in gaming journalism. Resistance 2 scored higher than Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 will score lower than Uncharted 2. Ironically, both will be considered superior games (the ones that scored the lowest). This seriously needs to be remedied.

Thoraxes

I just can't take IGN's score seriously now that UC3 scored higher graphically than BF3 running on 2 580's.

UC3 is still going to be a good game though. Due to overload of games this season, I will be waiting till it drops to $30ish or so like I did with UC2, but I will definitely get it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Darknessbear said:
Resistance 2 - 86.71%
Resistance 3 - 84.64%

The idea that Resistance 2 is a "87%" type of game is literally laughable. Were reviewers afraid of getting their houses torched by Sony fanboys or something?

hey_it's_that_dog said:

And that's what makes Metacritic so dumb. They somehow intuit what GiantBomb really means in terms of 100 points.

I've read a lot - hundreds - of Roger Ebert's reviews over the years. Four stars for movie A can be quite different from four stars for movie B. but somehow people think it can be translated to a 10 point or grade-school or even 100 point scale. It's so dumb.

Pranay

Thoraxes said:
I just can't take IGN's score seriously now that UC3 scored higher graphically than BF3 running on 2 580's.

UC3 is still going to be a good game though. Due to overload of games this season, I will be waiting till it drops to $30ish or so like I did with UC2, but I will definitely get it.

Different reviewers and different criteria

iceatcs

Mama Robotnik said:
Just been catching up. Wow at some of the participants in this thread.

Even in your most intense, eight-out-of-ten induced fanatic delirium over a game none of you have played, I still love you GAF.
And welcome to neogaf again!

rdrr gnr

Pranay_ said:
Combat and puzzles have improved
Could you elaborate on what they said, while keeping it spoiler-free? My biggest gripe with U2 was that the puzzles were severely lacking any need of mental faculty.

Are they harder? Longer?
Faster? Stronger?
Are there more of them?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
diffusionx said:
The idea that Resistance 2 is a "87%" type of game is literally laughable. Were reviewers afraid of getting their houses torched by Sony fanboys or something?
It came out around the same time as Gears of War 2 when the console wars was at an all time high, so...

wotter said:
bonus sand pic to calm the masses:

EiAdm.jpg

ugh get that spoiler shit out of here

CozMick

Banned
shuri said:
wait, now people are resorting to making shit up about possible virus infection to stop people from visiting the site of a 8/10 review?

Viral marketing gone willldddd..

It's 8/10 people, its a fucking good review!

Woah, woah, woah, hold your horses.

That's not what I posted at all :\

that shit was a clear joke

Vire

Thoraxes said:

That's not how the rating system works. It's judged based on it's peers on the platform. Not what is currently available elsewhere on the market.

That's why a game like Mario Galaxy can still get a 9.5-10 in the graphics department because it is the shining example for the platform and what is capable of.

diffusionx said:
No clue... I'm playing through the SP right now and it's awful. But, it did add COOP and MP stuff - so maybe that pushed it over? I dunno.

Thoraxes said:

The games weren't reviewed by the same person

But yeah, I don't see how BF3 didn't get a 10 there. Unless everything we have seen in the trailers is an illusion, that's nonsense.

Patapwn

Wazzim said:
First off, flaws are a matter of opinion, not objective fact. What you call a flaw, others might call a plus. Second, you're making the assertion that games have to be flawless to achieve a 10/10. That might be your scale, evidently others have their own. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Dragon

Banned
Vire said:
That's not how the rating system works. It's judged based on it's peers on the platform. Not what is currently available elsewhere on the market.

That's why a game like Mario Galaxy can still get a 9.5-10 in the graphics department because it is the shining example for the platform.

Says who? The rating systems are subjective all over the place.

Another issue I have with scoring is that if Sessler gave the second game a 5/5 then shouldn't the third game receive the same score granted if it is just as good (it is likely better)?

iNvid02

Patapwn said:
First off, flaws are a matter of opinion, not objective fact. What you call a flaw, others might call a plus. Second, you're making the assertion that games have to be flawless to achieve a 10/10. That might be your scale, evidently others have their own. And there is nothing wrong with that.

yep, no game can ever be perfect so having 10/10 or 100 represent perfection is pointless.

Cyberia said:
Not much surprised by the given score from Simon Parkin.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eurogamers-game-of-the-year-2009

That's all.

"There's nothing wrong with a big, dumb feel-good matinee, and Uncharted 2 certainly deserved every accolade laid at its feet, but is that really what we're going to point to as our very medium's best in the last 12 months? Dead Nazis, yetis, stubble and one-liners? It's like picking The Temple of Doom over the Seventh Seal.

"As a piece of spectacle, Nathan Drake's rip-roaring adventure is certainly peerless in 2009: not even Modern Warfare 2's airport massacre scene could top its parade of arresting set-pieces. It's also a technical marvel, effortlessly outclassing anything else on the platform. Naughty Dog's gleeful trading of the washed-out, desaturated colour schemes that have characterised the mainstream gaming aesthetic for three years for exuberant high-contrast tones bespeaks the developer's wider aim: a celebration of childlike wonder over try-hard maturity.

"But at the end of the rollercoaster ride, there's a nagging feeling: was I, the player, really an integral part of all that? Peel away the visuals and put a sock in Nolan North's mouth (so he can no longer win you over with his warm quips) and the systems that underpin Uncharted 2 are straightforward and lightweight. There are relatively few places for players to feel as though they're doing something particularly well or changing the story in tangible ways. It's closer to an interactive movie than we might wish to admit.

"It may be a stunning, game-changing interactive movie, but in its cozying up to the triumphs and techniques of that elder medium, there's a danger that Uncharted 2's success may take us away from the potential that videogaming has twitching in its womb."

I understand exactly what he's getting at and think he raises some valid points. I think someone earlier in the thread was talking about this very thing.

I don't understand how somebody can say that U3 does not deserve a 10 in graphics when several games already got the same score before with much worse graphics.

An example, MW2 got a 10 in graphics the same month than U2 got a 9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom