• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Watched the Gametrailers review, I didn't see anything that really seemed spoliery. It looks like more of the same, looking forward to it.

MuseManMike said:
I can't fully tell if you are agreeing with me. My sense of objectivity (in relation to review scores) is contingent upon axiomatic principles that assess "quality" i.e. your notion of repeated norms (this doesn't necessarily mean consensus, though it can).

If what you are trying to say is that because quality doesn't exist in nature, the only conclusion is that the application of objectivity is inherently misguided, therefore all assessments are subjectivity-salient -- that's a notion I disagree with.
My goal was to get beyond some sort of objectivity/subjectivity dichotomy, taking a more pointed look at precisely what goes into the normativity and regularization of review scores and their assessment of quality.

The materiality of game quality (objectivity, if you will, though I'd rather not use this term) exists precisely in the historical strata of review scores and gamer responses, which are in turn situated in much broader institutional contexts. A game, for example, does not inherently possess high quality level designs or gunplay, when these things are only assessed via pathways of reception through which norms of quality are established and operate.

Your axiomatic approach is fine so long as we recognize the contingency and artificiality of the axioms themselves. As such, I'd say we must either recognize a malleability to objectivity, or we should adopt a third term which escapes the connotations of object and subject as terms.

Red

The Lamp said:
But the series has never allowed you to omnipotently "interact" with things, it's not like Just Cause. It's always been about setpieces and unbreakable pace and flow through them with a gripping story and walled off sections of levels that give you an illusion that it's a seamless world. That has been the case since Uncharted 1. What I don't understand is when some people seem to nitpick about it now, as if they didn't have a problem with it since Uncharted 2. Or if they have been nitpicking since U1, why they haven't given up, because Uncharted is never going to put the player in full control of its surroundings, it messes with calculated precision of an experience that Naughty Dog is trying to present to you.

It's not like the lack of interactivity in Uncharted 1 or 2 ever took away from how fun the game was. If you had fun with the games, your interest was never likely focused on backtracking or detouring away from all the action, so I found it irrelevant to the experience, as I mentioned.
I think the people complaining now have been complaining all along. It's not like suddenly we've all had an epiphany.

UC does what it does really well. Better than just about every other game. I can't think of another series that does scripting or set pieces as consistently well. And yeah -- they've been fun.

But I still have a problem with the concept of taking control away from the player. That's not the direction I think games should be taking. It's a bit of a double standard or cognitive dissonance maybe; I'm glad we got Uncharted, but at the same time I hope AAA games of the future move back toward gameplay-oriented experiences instead of visual ones.

Obviously not everyone has the same complaints, or puts the same value into the same elements of their experience. You don't mind not being in full control as long as the game is presented well and is fun. That's valid. But I do mind it. It's fine in small doses, but I always think of UC as a "popcorn" series. Like a blockbuster film, like Indiana Jones. They may be some of my favorite things to watch and veg out in front of, but they don't stick with me as paragons of the medium.

Bigfoot

Lord Error said:
I think the biggest crazytime here is the 10 from IGN. As much as people say that Edge gives out 10s rarely. I think IGN probably gives that score even less often. Yeah, they gave it to GTA4 blah blah, so what, every damn place did, so you can't use that to discredit everyone (and yes, Edge gave it 10 as well).
IGN can give less 10's to a game because they score ith decimals, so an amazing game could also get a 9.8 or 9.9. With Edge, it is either a 9 or a 10.

-GOUKI-

LOL I bet they give MW3 almost a 10..

The site is just looking for hits. I mean Uncharted is "shallow"? GTFO!

Reviewer need to die.
#2.2

Big surprise, from EuroSnobs.

and the g4 review

yea, wht the hecck.. gatv used to be sony friendly site,,and they even gave un2 perfect score

X-Play?
Really?
Move along.

lowest score so far.
G4TV sucks cauk.

g4tv are ms fanboys just watch feedback & see how many times they praise ms & attack nintendo & sony well especially sony i wonder what mw3 will get & which console will they be reviewing it on

LOL n4g probably has a higher pedigree of sony fanboys then the psforums. SO funny

CozMick

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I have a little break from class here. So is Gaf happy with the scores?

They're happy with everyone but Eurogamer.

10 from IGN, 9.5 from Gametrailers...................8 from EG for being linear.......

ShockingAlberto said:
I honestly find it all kind of boring these days. 20 years of obsessing over review scores and GOTYs and at the end of the day, it doesn't change the quality of the game at all.

But how can I fully enjoy a game if some stranger didn't think it was worthy of a 9?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Manticore said:
Meta score is 94 right now, based on 31 reviews, and it's still missing a lot of 10s and 9.5s.

wow, 2 whole points below Uncharted 2

1865425-wtf_is_this_shit_piccard.jpg

unbelievable

Why is everyone so critical of IGN's 10/10 score when Giant Bomb gave the game a 5/5? Both scores equal 100%. No one is complaining about Giant Bomb.

Also, I don't understand Adam Sessler's criticism of Uncharted 3's multiplayer. He said "its appeal should reside mostly as an alternative to the war-based multiplayer shooters dominating the market." Exactly! That is what makes it so unique and appealing. I have been playing the Subway multiplayer and absolutely loving it. It doesn't feel tacked on to me at all; it's one of the best multiplayer shooter experiences I've ever had. I guess the Sess just really likes his Call of Duty.

CozMick said:
They're happy with everyone but Eurogamer.

10 from IGN, 9.5 from Gametrailers...................8 from EG for being linear.......
Lol, they knock the game for being linear? Makes sense people are unhappy with them, never cared about that site, they're only good for face off comparisons.

DaBuddaDa

Arpeggio23 said:
Why is everyone so critical of IGN's 10/10 score when Giant Bomb gave the game a 5/5? Both scores equal 100%. No one is complaining about Giant Bomb.
The IGN article is poorly written hype trash.

GeoramA

-GOUKI- said:
and the g4 review

LOL n4g probably has a higher pedigree of sony fanboys then the psforums. SO funny
This kinda evens it out though. From the BeingNerdy comments:

Better than gears of War 3? I dont think so. this has to be a fanboy site bececause I just beat gears 3 and it is one of the best games this gen!

You reviewers are full of shit if you think this game is a 10. Most PS3 games are overrrated and i will never purchase a fu**ing PS3.

Enjoy your fun now, i will be reporting this site for false product reviewing. idiots..

StuBurns

Banned
Arpeggio23 said:
You can't be serious? 10.0/10.0 is nothing like 5/5, one is 100%, the other is anything from 80 to 100%.

Reviewers are so weird now. A lot of them review based on weird ass things. Now it seems like to please some sites, you need to be some odd indie game.

G4 giving it a 4/5 is odd as hell.

Arpeggio23 said:
Why is everyone so critical of IGN's 10/10 score when Giant Bomb gave the game a 5/5? Both scores equal 100%. No one is complaining about Giant Bomb..

b/c some of us actually read the review and not just fap to a score...IGN one read like it was just totally phoned in...

StuBurns said:
You can't be serious? 10.0/10.0 is nothing like 5/5, one is 100%, the other is anything from 80 to 100%.

You can't be serious? 10 divided by 10 = 1. 5 divided by 5 = 1. Neither are "anything from 80 to 100%". Both are 100%.

zoukka

Darknessbear said:
Reviewers are so weird now. A lot of them review based on weird ass things. Now it seems like to please some sites, you need to be some odd indie game.

G4 giving it a 4/5 is odd as hell.

Must be confusing living in the weird, odd weird-ass world.

Manticore said:
A 10 from Gamespot can change everything, I think the meta score can go up to 95.
I highly doubt they will give it a 10. I predict an 8.5 "A great game but doesn't do anything new" tagline for the review.

Mooreberg

RichardAM said:
This thread is just further evidence that review scores in this industry need to die.
That is true but the sites will never do it, they need clicks. I wonder why print still uses them though. If you are going out of your way to pick a magazine up at this point, I'd hope it is to actually read it.

zoukka said:
Must be confusing living in the weird, odd weird-ass world.
Haha, you can see how perplexed I am.

But Adam saying Uncharted 2 was the best single player experience ever and that Uncharted 3 isn't quite there - but giving U3 20% lower... makes no sense.

Oozinator

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
But how can I fully enjoy a game if some stranger didn't think it was worthy of a 9?
You can't

By the way, is there any site where we can bet/speculate about metascores for real money ?

Angry Fork

Arpeggio23 said:
You can't be serious? 10 divided by 10 = 1. 5 divided by 5 = 1. Neither are "anything from 80 to 100%". Both are 100%.
Not necessarily. These days a good/great game goes from 7-9 in a 10 count review but with 5 it's either 4 or 5. A 3 is usually seen as meh/needs work or something. There isn't enough room on a 5 count scale. 5/5 is much more common than 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom