• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

seady

Am I the only one that didn't find Uncharted 2 to be that amazing as everyone said it was? I thought it was just a plain B-movie action adventure game.

jbttwin said:
I'm fine with the score, I know the game's gonna be great. I just can't believe they scored this lower than it's predecessor, that's all.
loads of places will score a sequel that is deemed to have 'played it safe' lower than the previous game in the franchise. it's a thing. i don't subscribe to the logic behind doing that, but i understand it.

i also don't care, because, LOL SCORES.

plagiarize said:
i know it's as old, but the one that always sticks out in my mind was the anger at the 10/10 that 1up gave Gears of War. that was the craziest thing i ever saw.

Is this the one?

nwAUl.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DaBuddaDa said:
"Partially objective" is an oxymoron. There is certainly consensus but not objectivity. It's more an argument of context and language, and I agree with your last sentence.

Nope. Objects have their own properties but our perceptual process is subjective. These things combine to create our final impressions.

I'm not denying that for some things consensus = reality, but I am claiming that for some things it's a mix of objective and subjective factors that determine our impression. I believe games fall into the latter category.

zoukka said:
If a person feels that the story is too cheesy because it doesn't shake certain cliches, then it's his opinion and he's right. Some might like it, some don't, but you can't say who's wrong or right about a matter so highly subjective as plot points.
Yup, its totally reasonable to criticize a story in general, it just comes off as silly that you call a game too happy (without developing a further idea) when games today are so homogeneous in their pursuit of all things grey brown and post apocalyptic. That's an empirical observation, not a subjective one.

Suairyu

Banned
M.D said:
What other criticisms did the review mention other than being linear and scripted?
Those are not criticisms of linearity, those are criticisms of a lack of interactivity, which is most definitely not the same thing. Areas Drake should be able to reach and still stay on the linear path are instant-death zones (why even have those areas accessible at all?), the game 'corrects' your inputs and tugs Drake onto the proper path.

There are plenty of linear games that don't have those faults, such as Half-Life 2, Demon Souls, Super Mario Brothers, Castlevania and even Metal Gear Solid.

StuBurns

Banned
The Lamp said:
I think it's stupid to rate a sequel that someone agrees is better than its predecessors as worse than its predecessors. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Because standards change over time, and it's easily possible to go from better than average, to weaker than average, and still be better than the previous release.

The people complaining about 8 are crazy.

Imp the Dimp said:
Is this the one?

*snip*
yes. 10/10 shouldn't mean perfect, because no game is. the review listed the flaws first, and then went on to explain why he thought it deserved a 10/10 despite them.

nothing wrong with that, but people went batshit crazy over it.

http://bitmob.com/articles/inception-is-my-gears-of-war

a very interesting blog post by Dan Hsu about the reaction to that infamous review. recommended reading.

Dan Hsu said:
But it's worth remembering that a review is so much more than one number that conveniently tells the whole story and fits very neatly into a "rent/buy/perfect" sort of scale.

zoukka

The Lamp said:
When a game comes this close to perfection you have to come up with silly reasons to criticize it.

Not really. Some people call Inception a perfect movie. I call it a piece of shit movie and would rate it about 3/10 on Eurogamer scale. This is me having an opinion and it's not mindlessly called out if we talk about movies. But with games, anything that isn't close to the general consensus is a lie. It's a shitty situation, that could be explained by the immaturity of the industry among other things.

lucius

plagiarize said:
this makes my brain hurt.

4/5 is a good score. if the worst score this game gets is four out of five it must be pretty fucking good.

standard deviation is a thing that exists people.

Well Sessler did go gaga over LA Noire with his 5/5 review and talking it up a lot on G4 shows, saying stuff like it will change gaming, iit is a good game but if Uncharted 3 is worse than LA Noire Naughty Dog have truely fallen.

nib95

Banned
Vire said:
Battlefield 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans go cheer with joy

Uncharted 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans get out pitchforks and hound dogs

I hope I don't start Armageddon Pt II with this post...

But it's an interesting thing that you bring up. I think it's because BF3 has been let off quite a lot of flak for it's SP (based off of reviews and GAF impressions). You have even more linearity, terrible and excessive implementation of QTE's, some of the worst AI around, unusual pacing, a less grounded or successful narrative and characters etc etc, and because of it's (albeit potentially masterful) MP, it still gets equally high reviews.

I do feel in this instance U3 is being held to much higher standards. A lot of people seem to feel the SP is unimportant with BF3. The same cannot be said for U3 and it's multiplayer.

I've been on media blackout (all though not intentional). Glad to see it's getting great reviews.

Will be nice walking into both single play and multi with no prior knowledge this time around.

DaBuddaDa

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Nope. Objects have their own properties but our perceptual process is subjective. These things combine to create our final impressions.
I think this is true of math and science as objects can be measured and facts can be proven. Those properties do not exist in entertainment/art. The objective measurements you could take on a video game are "it is pressed on a disc of X diameter made of y material" and when you put it into the machine it runs successfully or doesn't run successfully. A critique like "this game controls better than that game" or "this game looks better than that game" are in no way objective, they're subjective qualities with a high rate of consensus.

J-Rzez

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Worst fanbases ever:
1. FF fanboys
2. Zelda fanboys
3. Uncharted fanboys

This thread just confirms it.

As far as game-specific, you forgot one totally. WoW. That game has the worst stockholm syndrome suffering hardcore fans ever. Zelda, nor Mario fans come close to them. And from general products standpoint, blizzard fans give apple fans a real run for their money.

Damn, still no in-depth talks about the 3D...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I didn't expect such brutal reviews. Now I'm not sure if I should put in a preorder or not, there are too many games coming out this month to take such a risk.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
seady said:
Am I the only one that didn't find Uncharted 2 to be that amazing as everyone said it was? I thought it was just a plain B-movie action adventure game.

It blew me away because I was not expecting it. It is one of my top 5 games of all time. We'll see if 3 knocks it out of there.

Snuggler said:
Damn, I didn't expect such brutal reviews. Now I'm not sure if I should put in a preorder or not, there are too many games coming out this month to take such a risk.

Sarcasm! Hooray!

Gustav

Banned
J-Rzez said:

I can't tell you which, but I heard discussion on some 1up and some other podcast (Either Bombcast or some IGN podcast) about the 3D and all of them were impressed, even self proclaimed "3D haters" said it looked damn fine in Uncharted 3.

rdrr gnr

flabberghastly said:
Quality does not exist in nature. It is not out there waiting to be found. It is based on specific norms reproduced through institutions that produce a certain homogeneity of feeling that is recognized (through the lenses of institutionalized norms) as good, mediocre, or poor quality.
I can't fully tell if you are agreeing with me. My sense of objectivity (in relation to review scores) is contingent upon axiomatic principles that assess "quality" i.e. your notion of repeated norms (this doesn't necessarily mean consensus, though it can).

If what you are trying to say is that because quality doesn't exist in nature, the only conclusion is that the application of objectivity is inherently misguided, therefore all assessments are subjectivity-salient -- that's a notion I disagree with.
That every score is always 8-10 does not so much say that a product has an inherent high quality, but rather that their is a regularization on both sides - developer and reviewer - as to what is to be expected from a high quality product.
A great point that establishes the difference that exists in gaming reviews, as opposed to something like music.

Red

Deadly Cyclone said:
It blew me away because I was not expecting it. It is one of my top 5 games of all time. We'll see if 3 knocks it out of there.
The general consensus seems to be that it's more thoughtful, and expands on Drake's motivations, which is exactly where I wanted the story to head. Really looking forward to it.

nib95 said:

But it's an interesting thing that you bring up. I think it's because BF3 has been let off quite a lot of flak for it's SP (based off of reviews and GAF impressions). You have even more linearity, terrible and excessive implementation of QTE's, some of the worst AI around, unusual pacing, a less grounded or successful narrative and characters etc etc, and because of it's (albeit potentially masterful) MP, it still gets equally high reviews.

I do feel in this instance U3 is being held to much higher standards. A lot of people seem to feel the SP is unimportant with BF3. The same cannot be said for U3 and it's multiplayer.
you're always going to get that with sequels to absolutely brilliant games that didn't come out all that long ago.

and you touch upon another issue with distilling the entire game down into one score. if a single player game can be worthy of the highest score, and a multiplayer game can be worthy of the highest score, surely a multiplayer game worthy of the highest score isn't instantly made worse when you add lack lustre MP.

conversely, even if I hated the MP in Uncharted 2, i wouldn't lower the score i'd be prepared to give it (if i found myself in that situation again... i hate giving scores).

scores are just stupid. getting upset about them equally stupid. and i say that admitting that it took me years and years to figure that out.

Codeblue

J-Rzez said:
As far as game-specific, you forgot one totally. WoW. That game has the worst stockholm syndrome suffering hardcore fans ever. Zelda, nor Mario fans come close to them. And from general products standpoint, blizzard fans give apple fans a real run for their money.

Also, aren't the HoN/ LoL/ DoTa fanbases famous for being terrible people? Seems like they'd be up there too. Those are some angry people.

Cool, so the shitstorm is almost over.

Uncharted 3 will settle at 92-93 @ Metacritic and will not be the highest scoring title of the year.

It has scored lower than Portal 2, Arkham City, and likely Skryim. It is now officially out of contention for most GOTY awards.

Batman/Portal/Skyrim fans rejoice. Uncharted fans, hang your heads in shame and prepare to suffer the humiliation of defeat and failure.

And to end on a positive note, at least I won't have to eat my boxers (post from another thread last week):

LowEndTorque said:
Impossible.

I will eat my boxers if UC3 gets a higher meta than UC2.

Game will be better than UC2, metascore will most definitely not.

Acquiescence said:
Nah.

1. Silent Hill fanboys
2. Sonic fanboys
3. Rahiohead fanboys
Silent Hill fanboys aren't annoying though, because all their shit is directed at each other. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T LIKE SH2 THE BEST? FUCK YOU! etc.

now Apple fanboys on the other hand... ;)

zoukka

nib95 said:

Or you know... you can accept the fact that people felt BF3's SP and MP to be as tight of a package and experience as those of Uncharted. The games are also very different in almost all areas, one being a flagbearer to amazing multiplayer war and the other one, the king of tight narrative driven action genre. I understand you have history with one of these franchises and it might be a herculean task to try and consider my words, but I'm not kidding.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
EloquentM said:
even I don't usually care about spoilers but butt fuck gametrailers video review up the ass.
Rule #1: Never, ever watch a GT review. They are the worst when it comes to spoilers.

plagiarize said:
you're always going to get that with sequels to absolutely brilliant games that didn't come out all that long ago.

and you touch upon another issue with distilling the entire game down into one score. if a single player game can be worthy of the highest score, and a multiplayer game can be worthy of the highest score, surely a multiplayer game worthy of the highest score isn't instantly made worse when you add lack lustre MP.

conversely, even if I hated the MP in Uncharted 2, i wouldn't lower the score i'd be prepared to give it (if i found myself in that situation again... i hate giving scores).

scores are just stupid. getting upset about them equally stupid. and i say that admitting that it took me years and years to figure that out.
I am assuming that the people upset about the scores are mostly not people who are using it to determine the actual quality of the game. Even if the game weren't incredibly likely to be amazing, said people would have already decided it's amazing, anyway.

Basically, those who are emotionally invested were already emotionally invested.

I think the big issue is people are treating this like a sport and Uncharted 3 is their big play. If it's not getting the points to be above the other team's plays, then they lose...face, I guess?

It's no less irrational, but it's probably the reason.

Vire

nib95 said:

I don't disagree with you at all in this regard about BF3's single player. But, I sincerely don't believe Uncharted 3 is being held to some mystical higher standard just because it's Uncharted and is made by Naughty Dog. Let's not start any conspiracy theories now either...

LowEndTorque said:
Cool, so the shitstorm is almost over.

Uncharted 3 will settle at 92-93 @ Metacritic and will not be the highest scoring title of the year.

It has scored lower than Portal 2, Arkham City, and likely Skryim. It is now officially out of contention for most GOTY awards.

Batman/Portal/Skyrim fans rejoice. Uncharted fans, hang your heads in shame and prepare to suffer the humiliation of defeat and failure.

And to end on a positive note, at least I won't have to eat my boxers (post from another thread last week):

Oh boy.

M.D

Suairyu said:
Those are not criticisms of linearity, those are criticisms of a lack of interactivity, which is most definitely not the same thing. Areas Drake should be able to reach and still stay on the linear path are instant-death zones (why even have those areas accessible at all?), the game 'corrects' your inputs and tugs Drake onto the proper path.

There are plenty of linear games that don't have those faults, such as Half-Life 2, Demon Souls, Super Mario Brothers, Castlevania and even Metal Gear Solid.

I could see how that's could be annoying, but in no way that would make a game worse for me.

protonion

I just saw the gametrailers review. There wasn't any spoilers (or I didn't notice them because I was in awe!). Though I have seen all the trailers and other stuff so far.

He said at one point that there are parts in the game that make the train from U2 seem like a joke!

J-Rzez

Gustav said:
I can't tell you which, but I heard discussion on some 1up and some other podcast (Either Bombcast or some IGN podcast) about the 3D and all of them were impressed, even self proclaimed "3D haters" said it looked damn fine in Uncharted 3.

Good. I was hoping for some in depth talk on it, but guess I'll have to just check it out myself when I get it.

Codeblue said:
Also, aren't the HoN/ LoL/ DoTa fanbases famous for being terrible people? Seems like they'd be up there too. Those are some angry people.

Not sure about the HoN/DoTA fans, haven't been around them, but LoL is like a quasi-WoW community, pretty bad, but not exactly WoW type levels. I don't think any fanbase, Halo, CoD, Zelda, anything, can come close to that cesspool of stupidity, sin, and disgust that WoW has. It's on an entirely different plane of existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom