• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

VIVIblkmgIc said:
They also kind of were criticizing it for being "happy" at one point in the review. Like, talking about how you get the girl and save the day.

A valid criticism if there ever was one.

i look forward to playing uncharted 3 but i will say this: i also look forward to no longer playing uncharted, period. i had a similar satisfaction after i beat gears of war 3.

3 times enough, nahmeen? like, i'll never play another jak game ever again. know what i'm saying gaf? know what i'm saying?? i love you guys.

Gustav

Banned
Crunched said:
I would say it does. And the only responses to that are "you're wrong," or "you just don't get it." Which is fine if that's what you want to believe, but the world won't be able to fit inside your bubble.

Or you could simply name some games that rival or even best Uncharted in those aspects and then we'll see if giving Uncharted the same score as games like "Renegade Ops" hold is a fair comparison.

gdt

Lord Error said:
Do you feel like something can be criticized for being open ended, or is open ended supposed to be inherently better?

Open Ended is not better. It just depends.

I would probably agree that the main story missions in AC aren't as good as in Asylum, but then I would say the city and the sidequests are excellent, and put AC over AA.

To me, open world does not mean better, it depends on the game. When I want something open world, I'll play that, when I want top notch story focused thrill ride, I'll play Uncharted.

Vire

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Worst fanbases ever:
1. FF fanboys
2. Zelda fanboys
3. Uncharted fanboys

This thread just confirms it.

Battlefield 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans go cheer with joy

Uncharted 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans get out pitchforks and hound dogs

Suairyu said:
That was them musing and discussing, not criticising. Also...
This wasn't criticism either. It was description.
Well if those aren't criticism then nothing in the review is criticism. I mean if you're going to play semantic games like that you might as well call it a "meditation" rather than a "game review."

diffusionx

Gold Member
cpp_is_king said:
speak for yourself, it's pretty damn exciting to me.

I'm not speaking for anyone in particular, but if you can't imagine that someone would be unexcited to play another Uncharted I don't know what to tell you.

Vire said:
Just like GTAIV with it's Oscar worthy dialogue and MGS4 right?

Pretty sure we aren't playing GTA4 for its dialogue. It actually is a masterpiece for what it tries to accomplish. Not all games have to fit the same mold.

diffusionx said:
I'm not speaking for anyone in particular, but if you can't imagine that someone would not be excited to play another Uncharted I don't know what to tell you.

Who said that? I'm fine with their score of 8/10

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Rengoku said:
A message to any NaughtyDog Developers reading this thread,

Congrats on the great scores! I personally can't wait to play the game. I realize that many reviews are knocking your game for being 'Uncharted 2.5', more of the same, too linear, etc. Coming from a fan of the series, please DON'T change the formula! The Uncharted series doesn't need to be open world, or have branching storylines, that's not what your fans want, at least not when it could possibly compromise the quality of the story.

I know Batman Arkham City got higher scores because they went open world, but I can't help but feel that the quality of the story missions were compromised as a result. Arkham Asylum's story felt more cohesive imo.

*hear hear*

*slams down flaggard of ale*

edit: hey will you be doing a custom UC3 cover?

Gustav said:
I really think the "8 still means it's a good game" argument really doesn't fly here. Uncharted is not simply a good game, it is outstanding in the truest sense of the word. The production value alone is unrivaled, gameplay is incredibly fluid, letting the player PLAY the most spectacular moments and the story/performance is, at least compared to its contemporaries, stellar. An 8 does not reflect that.

You've played through Uncharted 3? Or is this based on game coverage?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Chinner said:
how are you guys doing? do you want me to write more fan-fic?

I think we should collaborate on an epic tale of lost cities, shooting foreigners in the face and Drake gently caressing Sully's moustache

Pranay

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [France] - 9/10
Eurogamer [?] - 9/10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

Great Scores imo

jbttwin said:
Damn, a 4/5 from G4, who seems to absolutely LOVE this series?
this makes my brain hurt.

4/5 is a good score. if the worst score this game gets is four out of five it must be pretty fucking good.

standard deviation is a thing that exists people.

Vire said:
Battlefield 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans go cheer with joy

Uncharted 3 Scores come in - gets 93 on Metacritic - fans get out pitchforks and hound dogs

I'm hoping that most of the comments here are sarcastic :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ShockingAlberto said:
It is true that there's many moments in the series that you'd never seen being realized through the gameplay anywhere else. It would just be presented as a cutscene from start to finish. That's, I think, one of the strongest qualities of the series.

The Lamp

I think it's stupid to rate a sequel that someone agrees is better than its predecessors as worse than its predecessors. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

But in the end I do not care because I know this game is going to be a ridiculous joyride and better than anything else I'll play this year (in my opinion) besides maybe Zelda.

Red

Gustav said:
Or you could simply name some games that rival or even best Uncharted in those aspects and then we'll see if giving Uncharted the same score as games like "Renegade Ops" hold is a fair comparison.
Oh, I forgot. All games are based on an objective scale judged by you, Gustav.

nib95

Banned
Vire said:
Just like GTAIV with it's Oscar worthy dialogue and MGS4 right?

Oscar winning story is a stretch, though at the time it was some of the best VA, dialogue and narrative deployment in the gaming business. But those two games were exceptional, though GTA IV a bit of a let down compared to my own personal expectations (blame San Andreas and VC for that). Point is, they're not wild accolades.

Dragon said:
MuseManMike said:
Quality is not wholly subjective.

Saying it is, is a nonsense argument devoid of reality.
Well I'd say that every score is 8/10 or more kinda backs up that claim.
Quality does not exist in nature. It is not out there waiting to be found. It is based on specific norms reproduced through institutions that produce a certain homogeneity of feeling that is recognized (through the lenses of institutionalized norms) as good, mediocre, or poor quality.

That every score is always 8-10 does not so much say that a product has an inherent high quality, but rather that their is a regularization on both sides - developer and reviewer - as to what is to be expected from a high quality product.

M.D

Suairyu said:
That quote doesn't contradict a word I said.

They have very specific criticisms of Uncharted 3 and those aren't that it's linear. Many of their most highly rated games are linear.

But it also reveals another truth. Uncharted 3 is the most exciting game in the world, but only until you deviate from the script. Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.

Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over.

This reluctance to give the player more than a supporting role can be seen in the use of one treasure at the core of the experience, a cipher-solving contraption once owned by Sir Francis Drake. Come up against a hieroglyphic that needs solving and, rather than giving you the chance to decipher the words using your own mind, your job is simply to press the button that pulls the gizmo out of Drake's pocket. He handles the rest. Your role, here at least, is one of interactive butler.

What other criticisms did the review mention other than being linear and scripted?

gdt

IGN's review mentions that UC2's "clumsy" stealth is gone......WTF does that mean? Is the stealth gone from UC3? UC2's stealth was excellent :(.

Definitely my favorite stealth in a game, I really, really, REALLY hope it's not gone.

Gustav

Banned
Crunched said:
Oh, I forgot. All games are based on an objective scale judged by you, Gustav.

I am currently using Metacritic. Not my scale. The average "Renegade Ops" holds is 8.1. A little higher than the 8 given to Uncharted 3 by some outlets.

Loudninja

neojubei said:
Wow i just heard the internet was almost shut down due to the 8/10 review.
I not seeing any meltdowns or anything, I don't get it :/

gdt5016 said:
IGN's review mentions that UC2's "clumsy" stealth is gone......WTF does that mean? Is the stealth gone from UC3? UC2's stealth was excellent :(.

Definitely my favorite stealth in a game, I really, really, REALLY hope it's not gone.
No it is still there.

GCX said:
Oh my I haven't seen a review meltdown like this since 2006's 8.8 crisis.
i know it's as old, but the one that always sticks out in my mind was the anger at the 10/10 that 1up gave Gears of War. that was the craziest thing i ever saw.

zoukka

VIVIblkmgIc said:
Because its time games bucked the trend of being positive and not all consumingly bleak?

If a person feels that the story is too cheesy because it doesn't shake certain cliches, then it's his opinion and he's right. Some might like it, some don't, but you can't say who's wrong or right about a matter so highly subjective as plot points.

Suairyu

Banned
VIVIblkmgIc said:
Well if those aren't criticism then nothing in the review is criticism. I mean if you're going to play semantic games like that you might as well call it a "meditation" rather than a "game review."
What?

Some simple examples I just made up:
"Uncharted 3 is a cinematic-action game in the vein of James Bond. You shoot the bad-guy, get the treasure and the girl." = describing
"Uncharted 3 is a poor man's Indiana Jones, taking all the tropes and none of the surprises. You shoot the bad-guys, get the treasure and -surprise, surprise- get the girl. It's boring." = criticising

That you cannot understand the difference and refer to it only as "semantics" leads me to believe you're not able to intelligently read the review in the first place. They have a few criticisms of Uncharted 3, yes, but not the things you're trying to bring up in some weird way of discrediting them to validate your opinion that Uncharted 3, a game you have not played, must be a 9/10+ game.

jbttwin

plagiarize said:
this makes my brain hurt.

4/5 is a good score. if the worst score this game gets is four out of five it must be pretty fucking good.

standard deviation is a thing that exists people.

I'm fine with the score, I know the game's gonna be great. I just can't believe they scored this lower than it's predecessor, that's all.

The Lamp

gdt5016 said:

Stealth should still be there...I heard Amy Hennig mention stealth during the round table interview on G4TV.

Gustav said:
I am currently using Metacritic. Not my scale. The average "Renegade Ops" holds is 8.1. A little higher than the 8 given to Uncharted 3 by some outlets.
what was the lowest score that Renegade Ops was given by a major outlet?

differences of opinion are not only allowed, they should be expected.

zoukka said:
If a person feels that the story is too cheesy because it doesn't shake certain cliches, then it's his opinion and he's right. Some might like it, some don't, but you can't say who's wrong or right about a matter so highly subjective as plot points.

Exactly.

Some posters want to criticize "gaming journalism", but reviews aren't journalism. Their opinion pieces.

GCX

DaBuddaDa said:
I hope this thread is foreshadowing the Skyward Sword review thread. It will be glorious!
I can already smell the "well I guess it's a pretty good game.. but it ain't HD" 7/10 reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom